Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Karous Released - New Commercial Dreamcast Game

Perhaps later also will leave, takes CD to make the carrier...
    ^-^

Quote Originally Posted by YZB View Post
    Perhaps later also will leave, takes CD to make the carrier...
    ^-^
    lol you don't know the reason of the GD-ROM end of production? Sega is not getting the money they wanted with Dreamcast and Naomi games.

DCEmu Coder

Just stop it!

The only source of this rumour was Dreamcast Scene. At the moment there is no official confirmation that Sega are licensing any more products to be manufactured on GD rom. There were several new Naomi games mentioned at the recent AOU. These will be on GD rom. So please give up on this usless non fact!

Do you think Sega would annoy all of their business partners by not informing them that GDrom production has stopped, instead by informing them via a rumour on the internet?

Also if you look into the whole CD/GD/DVD manufacturing process , you realise that its actually mastered the same as a CD,DVD etc, just with proprietary software. So anywhere that makes CD's DVD's etc can master GD's.

Quote Originally Posted by qatmix View Post
    Just stop it!

The only source of this rumour was Dreamcast Scene. At the moment there is no official confirmation that Sega are licensing any more products to be manufactured on GD rom. There were several new Naomi games mentioned at the recent AOU. These will be on GD rom. So please give up on this usless non fact!

Do you think Sega would annoy all of their business partners by not informing them that GDrom production has stopped, instead by informing them via a rumour on the internet?

Also if you look into the whole CD/GD/DVD manufacturing process , you realise that its actually mastered the same as a CD,DVD etc, just with proprietary software. So anywhere that makes CD's DVD's etc can master GD's.
    I will quote what icepick said on DC-S

I haven't seen anything stating it specifically, but I've been looking over the investor reports on the Sega Sammy Holdings site and although I'm not a financial analyst, it seems that the language of business does not leave room for such specifics as GD-ROM production. I reaffirm that it is very unlikely that they'll make a press release regarding this matter, as they manage things on a much more general scale.

If I'm reading the reports correctly, it seems that the group is, still, not necessarily doing that well financially. They've apparently made a number of "consolidations" (of which our NAOMI and DC media production could easily be a part), and are still posting net income forecasts that are much lower than previous expected forecasts, as well as being lower than the previous operating year. I'm not sure of what that means when accounting for the consolidations made by the group (a smaller company usually generates lower income, but isn't necessarily doing "worse" than a larger company), but I can't seem to pick out how things are going "in general."

One thing seems apparent: Although there is a natural ebb and flow in most all things, it does seem that this would be an "ebb" for Sega Sammy Holdings, which agrees with the shutting down of GD-ROM production. Logically, when it's time for the tide to rise again, they'll come back with something else... but this will almost certainly be something new or different, as opposed to resuming support for the NAOMI and DC.

Nothing's meant to last, but here's the thing: In the reports, I note that while revenue in general is down slightly, Pachinko/Pachislot seem to be down a great deal more than amusement machines (as in "arcade games," I believe). If arcade games are still holding pretty steady, then why pull the plug (no pun intended)? There are a number of reasons, and it's not to be assumed that change is automatically bad... but aside from the tendancy to weigh risk vs reward, it starts to make sense if you look at the "outside customers" (I'm guessing, outside Japan) and "inter segment" (likewise, within Japan) numbers.

The biggest loss in the outside customers was Pachinko/Pachislot, but there was a huge growth (nearly three-fold) in the inter segment. Amusement machines also posted a decrease in the outside, but a minor increase in the inter. This could very well be why they're putting less focus on the amusement machine sector and more on the Pachinko/Pachislot, and indeed, it's very sad for fans of arcade games like us. It seems that eventually, every arcade operator is going to turn into something like this.

I don't even know for sure what these things are. I'm under the impression that they're basically character-themed gambling machines, and if so, that is very sad to me. Agreed, they make sense from a business perspective, but it seems that business is all that everyone is focused on, these days. I'm not going to make this a rant about the "mainstream," though. You've all heard enough about that.

Anyway, consumer business was one area that saw an increase in both the outside and the inter, and it also mentioned that overseas consumers seemed to appeal to the Sonic-branded items. I suppose that this means that we'll be seeing more of those.

DCEmu Coder

Great! that quote says absolutely nothing. Its just idle speculation over a non-fact..

I hate to break any pre-conceptions but Icepick's comments (As decent a bloke that he is) dont add any verification of the whole non-fact. Even he goes to say that nothing is mentioned about GDrom production.

Also Naomi is one of Segas most succesful lines. If they stopped supplying games for it then they loose money. As they make profit from every cab and every title sold. Plus if I owned an arcade and had lots of Naomi cabs in there due to the ability to swap games, I would be a bit miffed if sega stopped producing games for it.

Now you have me speculating!

The whole point is that GD rom licensing has not stopped and until SEGA announce it (Or a business partner like milestone) Until then, no matter what a webpage makes up or speculates its just not true.

Anyhows, Thats enough of this subject. Lets get back to the main issue Im really looking forward to playing this game when it arrives in the post

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by qatmix View Post
    Great! that quote says absolutely nothing. Its just idle speculation over a non-fact..

I hate to break any pre-conceptions but Icepick's comments (As decent a bloke that he is) dont add any verification of the whole non-fact. Even he goes to say that nothing is mentioned about GDrom production.

Also Naomi is one of Segas most succesful lines. If they stopped supplying games for it then they loose money. As they make profit from every cab and every title sold. Plus if I owned an arcade and had lots of Naomi cabs in there due to the ability to swap games, I would be a bit miffed if sega stopped producing games for it.

Now you have me speculating!

The whole point is that GD rom licensing has not stopped and until SEGA announce it (Or a business partner like milestone) Until then, no matter what a webpage makes up or speculates its just not true.

Anyhows, Thats enough of this subject. Lets get back to the main issue Im really looking forward to playing this game when it arrives in the post
    I agree with you 100% about this rumor, but the source is supposedly a leak from a commercial gaming company and that they were told by sega that GD-ROM production was going to be ending. If it is true, then it is supposed to be a private fact between Sega and their licensees (although I don't believe it to be true). I know where the rumor originated (it's actually very easy if you just track the ip of the person who originally edited the announcement on DCS) and they're credible, but I think that it's more likely to simply be a misunderstanding in translations and such than true.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

i still have a dreamcast surprisingly

I really have enough of this rumor. It spreaded to all sites and even print media labels it as official. >_<

..............*skims through off-topic remarks and woners why those posts weren't deleted*

Sssso! here's what the gameplay looks like:

Quote Originally Posted by kohan69 View Post
    ..............*skims through off-topic remarks and woners why those posts weren't deleted*
    The one big problem is that this off-topic rumor actually is on-topic: PlayAsia decided to use the "information" spreaded by Dreamcast-Scene (and now a billion other "sources") to push the sales for Karous. Something similar has been done with Ikaruga, Border Down and Under Defeat in the past.

People, Karous definitly will not be the last NAOMI or Dreamcast game on GD-ROM. Stop repeating the same old rumor. Thousand sources telling the same thing over and over again doesn't make it more correct.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information