Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Screenshots of Fightoon for Dreamcast !

Quote Originally Posted by kohan69 View Post
    Ah.. Heard about a "3D fighting game based on Quake Engine" for a while...

Looks promising, although I was expecting a dark-slasher with Hellnights, but the comic approach is much easier on the hardware.

IT reminds me of the original Virtua Fighter

Alright developers.. keep up the great work!

Remember kids!!

gameplay>graphics

ALWAYS
    ALWAYS!
    Amen brother... something a lot of people forget these days, including game designers and publishers...
    The World Of Owen Rubin
    Atari Coinop Game Programmer #4
    http://www.orubin.com/

Nice

I hope this goes well.
    I'll buy this.

And in return for purchasing this.
    Can we make a game like Rival Schools??

Except really really weird characters??
    like bears with chainsaws... And cute asian girls with cooking utensils and pancakes and syrup as projectiles?

Please. Let's all work together to utilize my talents.

I'll buy your games.
    Will you help me make mine?

oh and while I agree great gameplay is key...
    part of the way a game plays or is played is dictated by how it looks.
    without these visual cues and visual information you can't make the needed decisions.

Don't mistake clear informative graphics and visuals as a seperate quality of gameplay.

It's integral.

if you can't tell what is going on on screen: there is no game to be played.
    unless you think watching lines of code stack vertically as you press buttons, is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by diceone View Post
    oh and while I agree great gameplay is key...
    part of the way a game plays or is played is dictated by how it looks.
    without these visual cues and visual information you can't make the needed decisions.

Don't mistake clear informative graphics and visuals as a seperate quality of gameplay.

It's integral.

if you can't tell what is going on on screen: there is no game to be played.
    unless you think watching lines of code stack vertically as you press buttons, is awesome.
    While it's pretty obvious that graphics are important to a video game, many will overlook a great game that's available due to the fact that the graphics aren't up to some certain standard. And similarly, many designers and publishers will concentrate more on making a game "movie quality" while sacrificing gameplay elements that could have made the game a much more enjoyable experience.

And still others will overlook or ignore a game that doesn't fall into or follow specific tenets of some polarized, pigeonholed genre, or isn't a clone of some classic that's been overdone many dozens of times (of course, with better graphics), but that's yet another discussion for another time...
    The World Of Owen Rubin
    Atari Coinop Game Programmer #4
    http://www.orubin.com/

The classic coder / designer misunderstanding.

This discussion is not really about graphics.
    it's actually about consumer ignorance.

Mass consumption and the popularity contests created by large corporations via media control to fool people into thinking one thing is better than another because everyone else has it or wants to have it.

Honestly, sometimes I'm not even sure if people understand the term "game-play" either.
    I see/hear it mis-used a lot.

you know I really don't like monopoly's "game-play", but I really like hungry hungry Hippos.
    That's not an example.
    That is how I really feel.

I really like Hungry Hungry Hippos.

I really need to find some professional forums to discuss in.

I just don't fit in in these places.

Great game, great 3d graphics, I'm willing to play it as soon as I can!!! Great job!!!

Hello:

This fighting game reminds me of a hombrew demo made long ago. the fighting mechanics that appears on the screenshots reminds me of the Budokai games from PS2. This one will be interesting to see. Another one to my Dreamcast collection when the preorders will be ready to take.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by quzar View Post
    If you were to brew beer in your home and have your local bar sell it, would it still be homebrew and not commercial beer? Yes. It's commercial homebrew, but still homebrew.

And it looks amazing.
    I still will stand up and say this is an independent development, and not a "homebrew" game. Why?

Until I can afford to have millions of dollars worth of CD pressing machines in my basement, there is absolutely no way that anyone could make this game in their basement, by themselves. The pressing process is done completely out of mine or the developers hands.

The designation of "homebrew" has generally been given based on how the game is produced -- "homebrew" 2600 games are burnt by hand and assembled for instance. These are not.

If you still insist on calling these homebrew, I would suggest also thinking of any non-Atari 2600 cartridge (Activision, Parker Brothers, Fox, etc), Tengen NES carts, Accolade Genesis carts and bleem Dreamcast discs all as "homebrew" games, as they were done the same way -- on non official development equipment by small groups of people, and then produced and assembled in factories to be professionally distributed.

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan View Post
    I still will stand up and say this is an independent development, and not a "homebrew" game. Why?

Until I can afford to have millions of dollars worth of CD pressing machines in my basement, there is absolutely no way that anyone could make this game in their basement, by themselves. The pressing process is done completely out of mine or the developers hands.

The designation of "homebrew" has generally been given based on how the game is produced -- "homebrew" 2600 games are burnt by hand and assembled for instance. These are not.

If you still insist on calling these homebrew, I would suggest also thinking of any non-Atari 2600 cartridge (Activision, Parker Brothers, Fox, etc), Tengen NES carts, Accolade Genesis carts and bleem Dreamcast discs all as "homebrew" games, as they were done the same way -- on non official development equipment by small groups of people, and then produced and assembled in factories to be professionally distributed.

At that point you may end up asking the question, what IS the game? Is the game the end result on fragger's computer or is it the pressed independently released box and disc? I would not disagree with the term independent game as a third category as opposed to just homebrew or commercial, but I think if one was limited simply to the two terms this would fall into homebrew and not commercial. The biggest difference between something like Tengen or Accolade and this is that they were made under the label of an actual company with (iirc) a registered name, an office, and a traditional business. Also, those were mass produced and distributed through standardized channels. This would probably be more akin to speccy or c64 games that were written by an individual then sold to and distributed by companies who specialize in that via mail-order or such.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information