Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Prototype Sega Dreamcast Zip Drive on eBay

why would you pay ebay to show off to the world you have something they don't.

or does he really think it is worth 10 large?

DCEmu Regular

This is really madness.AS a proud Dreamcast collector i was amazed watch it at ebay but the prize untouchable.10.000 is he crazy?
    Well its the protopye but the prize is.....f@##$%!78
    This guy has to help this site.Dreamcast coders have to get it now!!!!.It will be the key for more homebrew scene.

CANT believe it exists.Man JUST LOOK AT THAT.ITS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jerrt View Post
    why would you pay ebay to show off to the world you have something they don't.

or does he really think it is worth 10 large?
    I'm sure some collector will buy this prototype

DCEmu Newbie

How about asking Dan Potter or BlackAura if one of them was interested in reverse engineering this zip drive. In case of one of them agrees, the members of the community could donate to their Paypal account to help them buying the drive.
    But honestly I don't expect 10k to be donated by the community. The dc scene had some incredible moments in the past such as Half-Life/Bleemcast betas being leaked or Propeller Arena seeing light of the day but in the case of the zip drive I just can not see it happen

Why not use the funds DCEMU gets from those ads? Afterall this is for a worthy cause! And no one has bid on it yet!

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

lol, you think we get anything near $10,000 from the ads on this site?

also, that $10,000 could go to a better cause (usb coder cables, coding contests etc)

it should be a zip drive. i remember waiting for this device to come out while i was in college and using those pesky zip drives at school and having them screw up all the time. i guess the serial output to pc didn't make homebrew as easy of an outing as a simple zip drive would have. in the end i'm not sure of this device's actual purpose except to save downloaded attachments from the web browser? to put things in a quick strange time machine, at the time i was using free internet from kmart (bluelight.com eventually bought out by yahoo), since free dial-up accounts were everywhere, to surf and check email at home on my dreamcast. having access to way too many computer labs around campus kept me from ever buying my own pc in college.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksaviour69 View Post
    lol, you think we get anything near $10,000 from the ads on this site?

also, that $10,000 could go to a better cause (usb coder cables, coding contests etc)
    Better cause? You call potential unlocking the Dreamcast true ability not a valuable cause! Hopefully no bids on his auction, forcing him to donate it, better yet, what if he reveals where he got it from, I am assuming more then one was made.

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Elven6 View Post
    Better cause? You call potential unlocking the Dreamcast true ability not a valuable cause! Hopefully no bids on his auction, forcing him to donate it, better yet, what if he reveals where he got it from, I am assuming more then one was made.
    We already have devices whose workings are unknown for the Dreamcast without having to pay 10000$ and they aren't really breaking any new ground.

Quote Originally Posted by quzar View Post
    We already have devices whose workings are unknown for the Dreamcast without having to pay 10000$ and they aren't really breaking any new ground.
    I was thinking more of the lines that someone will examine it and make a 3rd party device/cable, making it capable for the homebrew community to possible use it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information