Thread: KOS Manual?

DCEmu Rookie

Default KOS Manual?

I Just got my Dev system Setup! (DDE r3 and Visual Studio 2003) and i wondered is there like a manual for KOS? like saying This function #@$@$@ Retreives a specific file from CD Usage : @$@$@(file) *something like that*

--
    Minor Question: can i use the 56k system instead of BBA, or Coder's Cable (can't find either yet :P) ?just plug in from DC to PC's Line

Quote Originally Posted by dcdood View Post
    Minor Question: can i use the 56k system instead of BBA, or Coder's Cable (can't find either yet :P) ?just plug in from DC to PC's Line
    I don't think you can. A BBA is what's recommend. eStarLand has them in stock:

http://dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=95246

DCEmu Coder

There is no real manual. You pretty much have to dig through the examples and the header files to figure out what you're doing, or ask on the forums here or at dcemulation.com.

I think GPF had worked on trying to use the modem to transfer files before he got a coder's cable or BBA. I don't think he ever got it to work. Your other option (if you don't have a coder's cable or BBA) would be to use DemoMenu or DCHakker as a boot disc. When you have a program you want to test, burn it and all necessary data files to a multi-session CD-R. Put your DemoMenu disc in the DC, let it boot up, and then swap in the disc with your program. When you make changes to the program, just burn a new session. That's the method I use.

DCEmu Rookie

how about CD-RWs? Will they boot on DC?

i'll look for coders cable. BBAs are too expensive
    Last edited by dcdood; December 22nd, 2007 at 22:08.

The manual KOS comes with is out of date but I found it still useful for simple thing like how to draw the BIOS font to the screen. It's pretty complicated to get it compiled but if you want it I'll attach it and the KGL manuals to this post. Err, doesn't seem to work I'll upload them to my site.

http://dchelp.dcemulation.com/downlo...v/kgl_html.zip
    http://dchelp.dcemulation.com/downlo...v/kos_html.zip

Thank Atani and c99koder for providing them.

Quote Originally Posted by OneThirty8
    Your other option (if you don't have a coder's cable or BBA) would be to use DemoMenu or DCHakker as a boot disc. When you have a program you want to test, burn it and all necessary data files to a multi-session CD-R. Put your DemoMenu disc in the DC, let it boot up, and then swap in the disc with your program. When you make changes to the program, just burn a new session. That's the method I use.
    The dev ISO also has DCHakker and DemoMenu on the disc, so just pop it in your DC, load either of them, swap the disc then refresh the file list. BootDreams will also burn multisession discs for you if you're on Windows. It should be VERY easy to learn to use.

Quote Originally Posted by dcdood
    how about CD-RWs? Will they boot on DC?
    Not out of the box - if you can test how many ohms a potentiometer produces then 544 ohms is reported to be the setting that reads CD-RWs.
    Last edited by fackue; December 22nd, 2007 at 23:35.

DCEmu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by fackue View Post
    Not out of the box - if you can test how many ohms a potentiometer produces then 544 ohms is reported to be the setting that reads CD-RWs.
    I thought that reduces the lifespan of your Dreamcast. No? I wouldn't mess with the laser. CD-Rs are cheap, and DemoMenu/DCHakker is easy enough to use. I buy a spindle of 100 CDs and it lasts forever.

Yes :-P.

DCEmu Rookie

The dev ISO also has DCHakker and DemoMenu on the disc, so just pop it in your DC, load either of them, swap the disc then refresh the file list. BootDreams will also burn multisession discs for you if you're on Windows. It should be VERY easy to learn to use.
    I think i burned my Disc Wrong, it won't boot in the DC.

What?

I thought that reduces the lifespan of your Dreamcast. No? I wouldn't mess with the laser. CD-Rs are cheap, and DemoMenu/DCHakker is easy enough to use. I buy a spindle of 100 CDs and it lasts forever.
    Thanks for putting whatever he said in english! I Doubt i'll Do any inside mod's (Coders Cable is ok)

and i bought 200 pack for 10 bucks a while ago so i'm using that (2 100 packs)

You can use emulators to test your programs. Check out nullDC and Chankast.

Thread Information