Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Possible v2.0 Homebrew Hack

PSP Coder

Wow.. Attention $#@! warez kiddie eh?

Of course the UPDATE folder bypasses the corrupt data... the PSP is designed to go "well ONLY SONY would want to USE the "Update" folder.

If this works it'd be the worst form of protection ever by Sony, so welcome to my skepticism.

(Hex editing an eboot to change the revision) && (putting it in UPDATE) != (2.0 && Homebrew)

And yeah first thing I saw was some kid wanting his name on every site. Jesus Christ how many times can you state it.. WE GET IT.. YOU HAVE THREE ALIASES.

But it'll make the idiots happy on the "less educated comments section" of the site Mr. Dan so happily enlightened us to.

---

How much you wanna bet that's "AOL.com"
    R-E-S-P-E-C-T : the proper places and people deserve it

PSP Coder

Smiths: It's a 50/50...AOL.com or MSN.com, but from the way the kid talks, I'll go with AOL .

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Smiths
    Wow.. Attention $#@! warez kiddie eh?

Of course the UPDATE folder bypasses the corrupt data... the PSP is designed to go "well ONLY SONY would want to USE the "Update" folder.

If this works it'd be the worst form of protection ever by Sony, so welcome to my skepticism.

(Hex editing an eboot to change the revision) && (putting it in UPDATE) != (2.0 && Homebrew)

And yeah first thing I saw was some kid wanting his name on every site. Jesus Christ how many times can you state it.. WE GET IT.. YOU HAVE THREE ALIASES.

But it'll make the idiots happy on the "less educated comments section" of the site Mr. Dan so happily enlightened us to.

---

How much you wanna bet that's "AOL.com"
    Not even hex editing. Just download PBP Unpacker, get the 2.00 UPDATE. Extract the SFO file, change UPDATE_VER from 2.00 to 2.10. Then put in renamed ELF (DATA.PSP) and the ICON0.png, make the PBP. Put it in a folder called UPDATE and there you have it. You have this kid's solution to 2.00 Homebrew. I'm sure all three of his names will be remembered haha

DCEmu Newbie

Agreed this seems HIGHLY unlikely

but has anyone actually tried it?

not me

DCEmu Newbie

Sounds like a complete waste of time to progress through this method. It's quite obvious the PSP will be looking for a change of code to rewrite the flash if it thinks it is an update. If somehow an emulator does get executed, and the PSP is truly fooled into believing it is an update, you will most likely brick your PSP by rewriting it's flash. What we want is a method to to run unassigned code that isn't cloaked to look like an update.

The kid just thinks he contributed to the scene when all he did was put a detour in the path of the ones that think this should be a correct method.

DCEmu Newbie

I'm not sure if it'll overwrite the JP firmware, since they are both 2.0, but I haven't looked into it, so it may be possible.
    as far as i know sony has said that they recomend that anyone with a jp 2.0 upgrade to the us 2.0 which probably means that it can be done

"This psp thing is gonna turn into a very real battle between the homebrew comunity and Sony isnt it"

I agree with this statement, it will be update after update. firmware 6.0 by next year i bet I wonder if the PSP can be fully closed off from homebrew? Everything has a hole and nothing is perfect.... (fears sony)
    Going a little off-topic:
    I wonder if someone in the movie buisness could get us a UMD recorder??? and Just out of curiosity could one do that and be able to load various homebrew software of it? The movies biz would have to have one because how woud they release thier videos on the UMD format...

Here's an idea for you guys...how about homebrew firmware for the PSP? People have been making home-brew drivers and firmware for a long time, so I shouldn't think it's that novel a concept. I can only imagine how horrified Sony would be (or maybe is) at the idea, but if we understand how to get the system to upgrade itself then maybe we can make our own "upgrades" rather than try to find a way around the ones they give us. I am not familiar, however, with what kind of resources would be required for that, and whether or not it's even possible given the lengths Sony has gone to to keep people from hacking it. What do you guys think?

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by WSOUNitePirate895
    I wonder if someone in the movie buisness could get us a UMD recorder??? and Just out of curiosity could one do that and be able to load various homebrew software of it? The movies biz would have to have one because how woud they release thier videos on the UMD format...
    The problem is that even game UMDs need to be encrypted. The movies, I believe, don't. So we could have a whole movie studio's worth of UMD burners, but it wouldn't do us any good without the key. And if we had the key we wouldn't need the burners in the first place.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information