Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DC won't load Selfboot Inducer CDs

Default DC won't load Selfboot Inducer CDs

After making 7 apparently useless CDs, and scouring the internet for help, I've decided to ask you guys. I'm trying to make a multiple emulator CD (DreamSNES, GNUBoy, SMSPlus, and NesterDC) in order to make good use of the space available. The first three CDs I tried I was messing around with 1st_read.bin and Ip.bin and such, until I found out that Selfboot Inducer was what I needed. So I got the SBI's I needed and used Sbinducer to extract them, put the rom files into their respective directories, and tried making a Nero Disk-at-once image for my 4th CD. When that CD didn't load in my Dreamcast, I discovered that Nero 6, which I had used, wasn't so great for DC burning, and that I had an outdated version (v3) of Sbinducer. So I downloaded the software versions that I needed, and again tried to make a DAO image. However, the console window told me that I had multiple copies of cygwin1.dll on my machine, and to delete all but the most recent located in C:\cygwin\bin. So I did, but then on trying to load Sbinducer it told me it need cygwin1.dll. So I put it back, DAO still didn't work, so I tried Track-at-once, which worked fine. Except that after burning, my Dreamcast still wouldn't load it, (On all of the CDs I've tried, the white Dreamcast logo screen appears, it draws the spiral, then sits for about 10 seconds with no noises coming from the machine, then fades to the system menu. If I choose 'Play', it says 'Insert a game disk'.) After some more in-depth reviews of various tutorials, I discovered that you generally shouldn't burn DC CDs at over 12x, and as low as 2x isn't a bad idea - I'd been using 16 all this time. Cdrecorder also seemed to be much simpler to use, so I tried that. For my 6th CD, I redid the Inducer directory to get a fresh start (I used the multi-menu option), put in my rom files, then used SBinducer's cdrecord to burn the first part of the disc at 2x, which worked fine. (Although it told me the actual average speed was 1x.) So I used the make iso button, that went fine, then I told it to burn the second session at 2x. It burned alright, but the console told me that the average speed was 4x. Again, the CD didn't load in my DC. I tried one more CD with all the same settings except the burn speeds both set to 1x. The average speed for the first session was .7x, while the average speed for the second session was still 4x. Obviously, it still didn't load. I'm completely at a loss here, and I really don't want to waste any more CDs until I'm absolutely positive it will work. Any ideas?

Technical info - OS: WinXP Professional
    Burning Software: Nero 5.5.10.42/CDrecord
    DC file-format: SBI, using Selfboot-Inducer v4
    CD Burner: ATAPI CD-RW 16x12x40x
    Emulators: DreamSNES, SMSPlus, GNUBoy, NesterDC
    Roms: 27 Gameboy, 74 NES, 19 SMS, 69 SNES
    CDs: First 5 with Nero were Memorex 80min, last 2 with cdrecord were imation 80min
    Dreamcast model: (listed as working according to http://www.dcemulation.com/article-supported.htm)
    HKT-3020
    March 2000 AE
    1 NTSC U
    670-14081H

Default Re: DC won't load Selfboot Inducer CDs

I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but...
    Have you managed to boot any homebrew CD on your Dreamcast?

The only reason I'm asking is that your DC might not be compatible - I don't know anything about the ntsc models so please excuse my ignorance.

The one way I'd suggest to find out (at a cost of a CDR) is go here:

http://www.dcevolution.netfirms.com/

And download one of our image packs - they are all guaranteed as working images, I'd suggest grabbing Dream Selection Vol.1 - I think it's the smallest to save you some time. I know you won't end up with what your after but it'll see if your DC is compatible for booting homebrew and the menu system is Dream Inducer - you'll be killing two birds with one stone so to speak.

There's a full image burning tutorial on the site for the images if you need it. If that all works maybe Curt can step in here and offer some advice (SBI supremo that he is) on sorting out your problem with setting up your own custom CDR - good luck!

sigh...I downloaded Dream Selection as you suggested, followed the DJ tutorial step-by-step, it burned fine, stuck it in the DC annnnd...nothing. I've even adjusted the laser assembly using a guide on another site, but no luck there either (don't worry, I'm fairly educated with basic mechanical operations, and I didn't hurt anything). My Dreamcast is listed on http://www.dcemulation.com/article-supported.htm as being supported -

HKT-3020
    March 2000 AE
    1 NTSC U
    670-14081H

- but I seem to have gotten the exception to the rule. Anyone have ideas?

Well, I think it's either your DC is not compatible or the laser is on the way out. I've experienced with an old DC of mine the same problem (sort of), it just started going to system menu when I booted homebrew CD's. It worked fine previously and funny enough it still reads commercial GD's.

Unless you've had a homebrew CD boot before, I'm not sure exactly which of my 2 suggestions above is the problem - sorry.

well i can tell you that your system is completely done for and wont work any stuff from the scene only reason why i can tell you this is i have a north american version made right after yours and it works perfectly fine so just buy a new one they are very cheap these days

Alright, I bought a new one, -

HKT-3020
    June 2000 SD
    1 NTSC U
    670-14081G

- which isn't even listed on http://www.dcemulation.com/article-supported.htm. Apparently it doesn't work either. I also made a DreamSNES CD using DC Factor 0.9.5, which didn't run on either system. Terrible luck or problem with CD burning?

DCEmu Regular

this time i think that it was your burning methods.

I have the best luck using discjugglar. it uses those CDI images. and furthermore you can get the shareware for free and the only draw back is that it will burn CDs at the lowest speed possible. other than that I could only say to find someone else with DC and a computer. burn all your files on to a plain data CD and go over there. and burn them with their computer. maybe a nephew or uncle's house or something. I am sorry and good luck.

One thing i suggest to you is to ask the store clerk which year the dreamcast is that should help out.

Do any of the game stores around you have any copies of Bleem!cast? The best way to test out your DC is to buy a copy of Bleem!cast, and the PS game that goes with it, and try it out. If Bleem!cast doesn't work in your DC, then homebrew won't work, but you should be able to return your DC and get a different one for no charge, because you can show them that you are trying to play Bleem in it.
    DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
    DC Evolution - Disc Images
    The DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.

I'll be trying to burn a copy of the Dream Selection Vol. 1 CD at a friend's house on Friday. I've gotten both Dreamcasts from a large used bookstore chain, and I knew that the second DC was from 2000 when I got it (the systems are just shrinkwrapped with a controller and the cables.) However, at both store locations where I got them, there was only one system available, so... Luckily they have a 7-day no questions-asked return policy, so if neither works with the new CD on Friday, I can take at least one back (I have a friend with a DC, I might be able to trade with him if his works.) And no, I've never seen Bleem!cast around. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information