PDA

View Full Version : Unnofficial SNES9X GX Edition - Snes Emulator for Nintendo Wii

Pages : [1] 2

wraggster
April 1st, 2008, 20:08
Vicious1988 (http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showpost.php?p=27974&postcount=130) has released an Unnofficial version of the Snes Emulator for the Nintendo Wii with support for SD Front loading

Here's build 2 of frontSD menu. It loads from the rom directory of your SDcard and has pages (no more trying to render 999 short filenames at a time). Filenames are still limited to 50 characters (including extension).

I did have it crash one time but I think thats because I had a few files longer than 50 characters and my menu length was too long.

Left and right on d-pad move through pages.
Download and Give Feedback & Compatability Reports Via Comments

DPyro
April 1st, 2008, 20:12
Wow, Wii homebrew is on a roll now :D

vicious1988
April 1st, 2008, 20:34
The latest build, v4, is available on this post:
http://dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2148044078&posted=1#post2148044078

You can get the guide on this post:
http://dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2148045696#post2148045696

supersoni88
April 1st, 2008, 20:50
just what i've been waiting for! =D! WOO!
-excited-

____anders____
April 1st, 2008, 23:30
yess!! now i'm gonna try sekien densetsu 3 :D

weaselboy246
April 2nd, 2008, 00:59
I'm gonna assume put the roms into a directory called "roms" at the root. Since that is what error shows.

vicious1988
April 2nd, 2008, 02:30
Ya. I really should've updated the readme.

Demonic_Cr0w
April 2nd, 2008, 02:55
Works wonders so far! Any directory to save stuff?

crouchingleech
April 2nd, 2008, 04:15
Great, thanks, this is awesome! Is there a button or button combo to go back to the menu? I couldn't figure that out.
All it needs is a way to save (assuming there isn't one yet) and it'll be perfect.

Thanks so much, I've been waiting for a SNES emulator and I wasn't expecting the first release to go full speed

DimensionT
April 2nd, 2008, 04:37
Yeah Z+R takes you back to the emulator's menu.

I can't figure out how to save my data though... I tried saving the SRAM to a Gamecube memory card and it just locked up. Is there any way to save the SRAM to the SD card in the Wii slot? If there is, I can continue playing from the saves on my PC.

crouchingleech
April 2nd, 2008, 04:42
I can't figure out how to save my data though... I tried saving the SRAM to a Gamecube memory card and it just locked up. Is there any way to save the SRAM to the SD card in the Wii slot? If there is, I can continue playing from the saves on my PC.

I don't think there is yet. The official site says "Notify me of any bugs and I will fix them as I work on implementing savegames" so apparently not... Good work though vicious, this rules and I can't wait to see more

vicious1988
April 2nd, 2008, 07:03
Saving to a GC memcard should work but doesn't (I think it worked in my root directory version). I'm not sure why yet but I am trying to fix it.

As for saving to the front SD, it can't be done yet (at least not properly) . The next release for the toolchains will allow it though.

Panini
April 2nd, 2008, 11:58
Hi.

Sorry for newbie question but do you need to boot the zelda game every time to load up emulators like this one??

Looks like wii homebrew is starting to hot up! ;)

vicious1988
April 2nd, 2008, 12:18
Hey guys, I've managed to fix the save bug. Now the emulator works perfect. Just a reminder, SRAM is not a save state, it is the game's internal memory (like the 3 files on zelda).

That means you can't save arcade-esque and password games (Contra, Wheel of Fortune, Zombies Ate My Neighbors)

Once again, report any bugs.

nambit
April 2nd, 2008, 12:40
Is there any support for the wii's classic controller? If not, any plans? I love that pad!

vicious1988
April 2nd, 2008, 12:44
Right now the emu only supports the GC controller, as does most homebrew. However, once the toolchains are updated to include the Wii remote and classic controller I'd be more than happy to add support for them.

ThrashWolf
April 2nd, 2008, 16:37
I love you so much... The VC is essentially out the window now, lets get ready for patching wars

____anders____
April 2nd, 2008, 16:46
good work man!, now i can play seiken densetsu 3 (secret of mana 2) in full speed! :) this emu is PREFECT! thanks

too bad you can't save, cus i played through the entire game to find out that you can't save :(

just kidding ;) hehe but at least i can play super mario allstars now cus it doesn't need saving :)

Sir_Voe
April 2nd, 2008, 17:02
Still getting the "can not mount memory card" message on the latest build. I'm using a standard Nintendo brand Mcard, and have tried removing and re-inserting numerous times in both slots.

vicious1988
April 2nd, 2008, 17:15
I know of several people having problems with their Nintendo cards. Do you have any others? Mine's a 123 block Intec and it works just fine.

ringo20000
April 2nd, 2008, 17:19
good work man!, now i can play seiken densetsu 3 (secret of mana 2) in full speed! :) this emu is PREFECT! thanks

too bad you can't save, cus i played through the entire game to find out that you can't save :(

just kidding ;) hehe but at least i can play super mario allstars now cus it doesn't need saving :)

Anders from what I understand you should be able to save internally with the rom (sram saving). This would be like Vicious mentions above, the 3 saves in zelda. I tried saving with super punch out and it seemed to work. The thing that isn't available right now is creating save states. Which allows you to stop and resume at any point which would be used for games that use passwords to resume or don't even have a save available.

vicious1988
April 2nd, 2008, 17:29
I'd also like to mention to anyone who has a rom that doesn't work, you should remove symbols from your filenames like: (!), [!], [b1], and [beta]

They tend to corrupt the loading. I can't count how many times I've had friends ask me why "NBA Jam (v1.0) [!].smc" won't load.

Sir_Voe
April 2nd, 2008, 17:32
I know of several people having problems with their Nintendo cards. Do you have any others? Mine's a 123 block Intec and it works just fine.

Unfortunately, no. Plenty of great password/arcade games to keep me busy for now though. I'll keep an eye out for an intec brand one if I'm at the game store soon. Thanks again for your work, and the work of others who contributed to this emu.

retro fan
April 2nd, 2008, 18:14
Simply stunning...

One minor issue, my screen is off-centre - is there any way of adjusting this?

Keep up the amazing work!

vicious1988
April 2nd, 2008, 18:26
Off center horizontal or vertically. I know that it can stretch a little beyond the top and bottom of the screen. You should be able to adjust the horizontal in your wii settings.

retro fan
April 2nd, 2008, 18:47
That is strange!

I never noticed the wii screen option before. As it happens, I have a left right problem. The Wii in normal mode is fine, but on the emu it is off to the left. Obviously, if I change the Wii setting it leaves a gap on the other side. I don't need a move screen option, as much as a stretch screen option!

retro fan
April 2nd, 2008, 18:52
Examining all the emus, genesis, snes and Nes, I'm getting a gap on the left side of the screen on them all - though in normal Wii day to day gaming no such gap is apparent...

vicious1988
April 2nd, 2008, 19:11
Try widescreen, or if you already use widescreen try 4:3.

I know widescreen can look pretty high detailed on smaller tvs (at least when playing wii games)

gmwave
April 2nd, 2008, 19:13
Emulator works great but it displays in black and white on my pal wii, any idea how to fix it?

retro fan
April 2nd, 2008, 19:15
I'm running in widescreen mode on a widescreen 56 inch rear projection TV. I'll switch to 4/3 and report back!

vicious1988
April 2nd, 2008, 19:24
gmwave: somebody mentioned this glitch before and they switched to 50hz (I think it was) to fix it

DimensionT
April 2nd, 2008, 19:25
Oh crap! That was fast. Does anyone know what game has the shortest amount of time before the first save? I'm gonna test it out a bit before I go through the first battle on Bahamut Lagoon again -_-. I've had mounting issues with the Gamecube versions.

gmwave
April 2nd, 2008, 19:30
Thanks vicious, I'll give it a go and see if it fixes it.

Oh crap! That was fast. Does anyone know what game has the shortest amount of time before the first save? I'm gonna test it out a bit before I go through the first battle on Bahamut Lagoon again -_-. I've had mounting issues with the Gamecube versions.

Try a game like Zelda:alttp where it saves before you start a game and make sure you go to the menu and save sram.

vicious1988
April 2nd, 2008, 19:30
DimensionT: You can save at anytime on Zelda, and you can save about 5 minutes into Mario RPG.

DimensionT
April 2nd, 2008, 19:45
Sweetness, I'll give Zelda a try.

gmwave
April 2nd, 2008, 19:56
I tried setting it at 50hz and 60hz but it still displays in black and white. Any other ideas?

Could http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showpost.php?p=27801&postcount=59 possibly fix it?

klub242
April 2nd, 2008, 20:06
Try a game like Zelda:alttp where it saves before you start a game and make sure you go to the menu and save sram.

Hey guys, how do I get back to the menu after being in mid-play to choose the save sram option? Oh and btw, I'll let you know if my memory card works with this a little later if I get a chance. Thanks Vicious!

DimensionT
April 2nd, 2008, 20:16
Nope, it's a no go for me. I can't get my memory card to mount. Is there any way to fix support for Nintendo cards? I was really looking forward to loading my save games from the Gamecube version.

gmwave
April 2nd, 2008, 20:17
Hey guys, how do I get back to the menu after being in mid-play to choose the save sram option? Oh and btw, I'll let you know if my memory card works with this a little later if I get a chance. Thanks Vicious!

Press the R and Z buttons.

vicious1988
April 2nd, 2008, 20:29
As of now you might get lucky with a Nintendo card by reinserting it. Thats about the only advice anyone has at this time.

As for a PAL fix, if you want I can go ahead and recompile it real quick.

gmwave
April 2nd, 2008, 20:33
That would be great if it isn`t much bother. Thanks for the help.

vicious1988
April 2nd, 2008, 20:36
Here's the "PAL fix".

paco9060
April 2nd, 2008, 20:46
Just tested out the latest build. Everything works the same.

I tried several SRAM saves with my 128mb Nintendo card and the original 10mb card and neither worked...

Adyum
April 2nd, 2008, 20:48
I am a little new to this, but in order to get it to run I need to rename the file to boot.elf yes?

turtleman6431
April 2nd, 2008, 20:51
yeah.

Anyway, anybody know when the nintendo memory cards'll be compatible.

gmwave
April 2nd, 2008, 20:57
Here's the "PAL fix". I don't know if it works or not since I'm NTSC. However I've heard it causes some games to run too fast.

Thanks, the colour was fixed and the speed was fine once I'd changed the settings.

vicious1988
April 2nd, 2008, 21:02
Just to note, you don't need the PAL fix unless your screen is rendering black and white.

As for memory cards, my hands are tied by the current coding w/i the toolchain. If your memory card will mount then you are probably set, if not, you'll just have to keep reinserting your memcard hoping for a successful mount and wait for the new toolchain and hope support is broadened.

klub242
April 2nd, 2008, 21:20
So do you think it will be possible to fix the Nintendo cards, or are they just never going to work?

Seems weird to me that other cards work and these don't.

Is there any way I could help out trying to make them work? If someone pointed me in the right direction and told me what to look at, I'm sure I could give it a try.

weaselboy246
April 2nd, 2008, 21:29
Any chance of saving SRAM to front SD?

tahtah
April 2nd, 2008, 21:29
do u need to do the twilight hack for this?

vicious1988
April 2nd, 2008, 22:04
Official Nintendo memory cards may work in the next toolchain release, I don't really know.

No, frontsd saving wont happen until the next toolchain release

Yes you need twilight hack

klub242
April 2nd, 2008, 22:08
Sorry to bug you again, but do those toolchain releases happen very often?

DimensionT
April 2nd, 2008, 22:49
Sorry to bug you again, but do those toolchain releases happen very often?

They were probably slow when the Gamecube was all there was (not a whole lot of people code for Gamecube as apposed to the PSP)... But you can bet they'll be released more often now that Wii homebrew is around. Everyone wants the Wiimote and SD functions to be added, so it shouldn't be TOO long.

benpwarner
April 2nd, 2008, 22:54
i keep getting something that says error reading dev0:\fceu\roms when i try to load a new game
i have the roms in a roms folder in the root

klub242
April 2nd, 2008, 22:59
i keep getting something that says error reading dev0:\fceu\roms when i try to load a new game

The roms have to be put in \snes9xroms\roms\ on your SD card or whatever you are using for it to work. Try that, see if it helps.

vicious1988
April 2nd, 2008, 23:11
You place them in a directory titled roms on your sdcard, as benpwarner stated he did. To load them choose "Load from Front" instead of "Load from SDCARD".

DimensionT
April 2nd, 2008, 23:12

Sounds to me like you're trying to run the NES emulator posted here. I'm not sure if that can load roms from the SD slot.

The whole Nintendo memory card thing seems kind of weird to me... I can mount the card in the Gamecube version 90% of the time, but on the Wii I've yet to do it once. There shouldn't be much difference. Unless the last toolchain release dropped support for it (which wouldn't make sense).

Maybe the Wii handles Gamecube memory cards differently?

benpwarner
April 2nd, 2008, 23:19
thanks vicious1988 that worked great

vicious1988
April 2nd, 2008, 23:27
I think that error message was just copied over from fceu.

VanillaSno
April 2nd, 2008, 23:54
Can someone tell me exactly how to install this on my SD card? I put it on my SD card but every time I start up the Twilight Hack it says

Start Cluster = ffff

over and over and then I have to shut off my Wii.

Does anyone know what the problem is? I really want to play SNES games on my Wii.

Also I formated my SD card to FAT16

halobenish
April 2nd, 2008, 23:57
I want to makeit so that the analog trim (or whatever it's called) starts at 50 not 70, which file would I edit in the source for that?

crouchingleech
April 2nd, 2008, 23:58
Can someone tell me exactly how to install this on my SD card? I put it on my SD card but every time I start up the Twilight Hack it says

Start Cluster = ffff

over and over and then I have to shut off my Wii.

Does anyone know what the problem is? I really want to play SNES games on my Wii.

Also I formated my SD card to FAT16

Did you rename the .elf file to boot.elf and put it in the root of your SD card?

VanillaSno
April 3rd, 2008, 00:00
Did you rename the .elf file to boot.elf and put it in the root of your SD card?

Yes I tried that also and I still get the same error

VanillaSno
April 3rd, 2008, 00:10
I finally got it to work

iggloovortex
April 3rd, 2008, 01:03
Personally i believe this is the greatest thing ever. by thing i mean the existence of Homebrew and you vicious and your caring for those of us who don't have SD Geckos or USB Geckos. Thanks. You are the ultimate

DimensionT
April 3rd, 2008, 01:38
Hey, Vicious... Don't get me wrong (I'm just brainstorming), but I think there's a chance that the reason Nintendo brand memory cards are unsupported has something to do with the fix you did to get saves working.

When I attempt to save the SRAM on versions 2 and 3 without a memory card in, I get the "unable to mount" error just like in version 4... But when I try WITH the card in, I don't get the error. It just freezes. This makes me think that V2 and V3 read/mount the card, and lock up when trying to write to or load from it.

This would explain why it works when I run the Gamecube versions, but not on the latest build for the Wii.

Again, I could be horribly wrong. It's just food for thought.

Thanks for all the hard work you've put into it so far.

vicious1988
April 3rd, 2008, 01:50
Technically all the code to save SRAM is the same it was when I started working on the menu. Something bugged it out along the way and I stumbled upon a fix. Basically upon starting the emulator (not emulation) the program trys to load the SRAM save for the default color test rom.

This rom doesn't follow my "roms/" directory rule and hence does not cause a problem with mounting. After it fails to load you can successfully save and load other SRAM files.

If you want I can PM you a build that displays the messages at startup so you can check if it successfully mounts your card or not. If it does you would receive 1 mount failed message, if it doesn't you receive 2 (it trys to load from both Slot A and B so they can both be used).

DimensionT
April 3rd, 2008, 01:54
Yeah, man. Send it over and I'll run some tests. Could be something fishy going on with my card. I'll try booting up the Gamecube version again to see if it still works on that too.

EDIT: I just booted up the Gamecube version and loaded my Tales Of Phantasia SRAM on my first try. So there's nothing wrong with the card.

chronogimp
April 3rd, 2008, 03:12
just curious vicious is there some sort of way to fix the sound because when i play some games like secret of evermore the sound is rough and the background sound/music is really loud.

Adyum
April 3rd, 2008, 03:35
Technically all the code to save SRAM is the same it was when I started working on the menu. Something bugged it out along the way and I stumbled upon a fix. Basically upon starting the emulator (not emulation) the program trys to load the SRAM save for the default color test rom.

This rom doesn't follow my "roms/" directory rule and hence does not cause a problem with mounting. After it fails to load you can successfully save and load other SRAM files.

If you want I can PM you a build that displays the messages at startup so you can check if it successfully mounts your card or not. If it does you would receive 1 mount failed message, if it doesn't you receive 2 (it trys to load from both Slot A and B so they can both be used).

I'm interested too. I have two official Nintendo brand ones I could test it out on.

snkngshps
April 3rd, 2008, 03:49
I'm getting a weird error that no one else is. I'm trying to run roms from the front slot. I have them in a folder called "roms" at root. I've made sure all weird characters are taken out.

When I go to the menu and choose the "load from front" option I get a lot of numbers and at the bottom it says "waiting for pad".. then after a while the word "reset" appears underneath it. I can't do anything from there but turn the Wii off.

It may be worth mentioning that I'm trying to run this from the Homebrew Channel.

snkngshps
April 3rd, 2008, 03:54
Also, I just tried running it from twilight princess and I get a different error.

When i choose "load from front" mario stops spinning and nothing comes up. If I press a button I get this error:
"f_stat failed error 1"

misticknight
April 3rd, 2008, 03:58
i have the same problem vanilla was getting and i have no idea how to fix it. it just stays on that start_cluster screen no matter what. i've put the snes9x.elf file in the root directory and renamed it to boot.elf. i also tried it with the roms in a snen9x/roms folder and then antohetr time just with a "roms" folder and it crashed both times. someone please help.

could the reason i have other files on my SD card be the problem? also does the snes9x.dol file need to be used cause i didn't put that anywhere.

crouchingleech
April 3rd, 2008, 04:51
i have the same problem vanilla was getting and i have no idea how to fix it. it just stays on that start_cluster screen no matter what. i've put the snes9x.elf file in the root directory and renamed it to boot.elf. i also tried it with the roms in a snen9x/roms folder and then antohetr time just with a "roms" folder and it crashed both times. someone please help.

could the reason i have other files on my SD card be the problem? also does the snes9x.dol file need to be used cause i didn't put that anywhere.

I'm not sure what the solution is but I know that the problem isn't where you keep roms or the .dol. The emulator will run even if you don't have roms, it just won't be able to load any once it's running if they're not there. [Edit: I know this because the first time I accidentally called the directory "rom" instead of "roms" and I didn't get an error till I tried to load from front inside the emulator.]

.dol files are for gamecube, .elf files are for wii. You're right, you don't need to do anything with snes9x.dol.

It doesn't matter that you have other files on your sd card either.

Are you sure that your elf isn't named "boot.elf.elf"? I made that mistake once... Other then that I'm not sure what it could be.

misticknight
April 3rd, 2008, 04:57
nah it's definatly boot.elf. the only thing i can think of that it may be then, cause i know i'm doing everything right, is the SD card itself. but it's a 2GB Kingston made in Japan so i'm pretty sure it should be good enough. i'll wait a while to see if anyonek nows though.

if anyone can give me a step by step guide just incase i missed a simple step (for example what crouching said above with elf.elf by mistake, even though i didn't do that i may have made a small mistake i missed). i dont understand why it's doing this, i also tried it with tetris and it still done the same thing so it's not just the snes9x.elf file thats fr sure. the mistake must be coming from something else.

vicious1988
April 3rd, 2008, 19:41
snkngshps: That's strange. The blank screen indicates that it is at the menu that displays everything in the roms folder. The f_stat error pops up when you choose a corrupt file or a slot that is blank (which all of them are according to what you are saying). I honestly don't know what the problem is.

chronogimp: The audio streams I haven't played with. If you've ever tried NBA Jam with it occasionally you can hear the background noises, squeaks, and dribbling.

OutPhaseIccy
April 3rd, 2008, 19:56
Hey guys. I'm having a trouble getting roms to work. I got the emulator started, but it freezes when I try to load a rom. Where do I put my roms at? And in the readme it told me to create a GAME.DOL, but on command prompt it wouldn't do anything with the last line for the game.dol. Is there a rom that everyone has gotten to work?

OutPhaseIccy
April 3rd, 2008, 20:04
When i choose "load from front" mario stops spinning and nothing comes up. If I press a button I get this error:
"f_stat failed error 1"

I get this problem too. When I click load from front very, very quickly you can see some text flash "f_opendir() failed. Does roms/ exist?" I'm guessing that I need to put another /roms directory somewhere on my SD card.

vicious1988
April 3rd, 2008, 20:04
Okay, first off the DOL is for Gamecube, not Wii. You can ignore the readme since it is really old. Copy the elf file to your SDCard and rename it boot.elf. Next copy your roms to a directory called roms in the root or the SDCard. Now it should work fine.

turtleman6431
April 3rd, 2008, 20:07
Soo..anybody have estimates on when official gamecube memory cards'll be supported? (That means estimates, no "when it's done" bullcrap, just a guessing game is all)

My estimate is within 1 or 2 months.

OutPhaseIccy
April 3rd, 2008, 20:10
Okay, first off the DOL is for Gamecube, not Wii. You can ignore the readme since it is really old. Copy the elf file to your SDCard and rename it boot.elf. Next copy your roms to a directory called roms in the root or the SDCard. Now it should work fine.

Alright, I copied my roms into a directory called roms in the root of my SD card, but now the emulator won't load. I'm stuck on the black screen with white writing, and it keeps repeating the lines "start cluster = aaaa" with a bunch of lines with a bunch of 0000000's after it.

vicious1988
April 3rd, 2008, 20:16
Another one? Your elf is just "boot.elf", right? not "boot.elf.elf"? And I assume you are using Twilight hack 3a or 3b right? And your SDCard must be 2gb or less and format FAT16 (just called FAT in Windows' format tool) or FAT32 (only available if using Twilight Hack 3b).

OutPhaseIccy
April 3rd, 2008, 20:19
Another one? Your elf is just "boot.elf", right? not "boot.elf.elf"? And I assume you are using Twilight hack 3a or 3b right? And your SDCard must be 2gb or less and format FAT16 (just called FAT in Windows' format tool) or FAT32 (only available if using Twilight Hack 3b).

Fixed it. When I made the roms directory in the root of my SD card, I didn't copy over the COL15.SMC and the other file along with my rom. Once I copied those over, it worked perfectly.

Another question. Is SNES the only emulator that currently works through TP?

misticknight
April 3rd, 2008, 21:11
outphaste could you please tell me exactly what you did to fix your problem cause i'm stuck where you were with the start_cluster messages.

OutPhaseIccy
April 3rd, 2008, 21:21
outphaste could you please tell me exactly what you did to fix your problem cause i'm stuck where you were with the start_cluster messages.

When I go into my SD card, I have the files boot.elf (which was the snes.elf or whatever), a roms directory which has the files 'COL15.SMC' 'snesrom' and all of my other roms (the first two aren't roms). Then the other folder I have is the snesgx_Support_FrontSD. I didn't change anything in that folder.

That's on my Nintendo SD card. However, with the same files on the SD card I use for my phone, I get the error start cluster = 0000 over and over again. Not sure why it only works on my nintendo card.

Alright, on my other SD card, when I try to load the emulator, it says start cluster = 0000 over and over, then after about 20 seconds it says:

"FAT_ReadFile(boot.elf) failed with error -1"
"## No elf image at address 90100000"
"DOL image detected?"
"loading binary file.."

And now it's just stuck there, has been for 5 minutes. What could be the problem?

misticknight
April 3rd, 2008, 21:27
if its working on one SD card and not the other then i'm just going to presume thats were my problem lies, however just out of curiosity what is this COL15.smc file? maybe if i try adding that it'll work but i doubt it i've heard noone else mention that.

vicious1988
April 3rd, 2008, 21:33
snesgx_Support_FrontSD is the folder containing the source code. You don't need that. COL15.smc is the color test rom, it is embeded in the elf file and doesn't need copied over. snesrom.s I'm not sure what it is but that doesn't need copied since it is also embeded.

All you should need is your boot.elf and your roms folder containing, well, your roms. I know that some SDCards may not work properly but that is very rare.

Also, if you copied over the .DOL file included I'd recommend deleting it, that could cause a conflict.

OutPhaseIccy
April 3rd, 2008, 21:34
if its working on one SD card and not the other then i'm just going to presume thats were my problem lies, however just out of curiosity what is this COL15.smc file? maybe if i try adding that it'll work but i doubt it i've heard noone else mention that.

It was just in my roms file when I downloaded the files found on the first page of this topic.

As for it being a rare occasion that SD cards don't work, could it be that my card is actually a Micro SD card in a normal SD Card shell? Its essentially an SD card, its just smaller, so I don't see what the problem is.

Unicron2k
April 3rd, 2008, 21:41
I had to put the roms in /snes/roms (I think)

However, I have been playing around with it(litterally) for some time now, and there are a few bugs to work out, but they are bearable.

First, in streetfighter 2, it freeze for a few seconds after "Fight" is displayed. In Starfox, it slows down at random, but then goes back up. And in StarOcean, the sound(mainly the voice playbacks) jumps back half a second at random, and the sound sometimes gets distorted(you should note thet StarOcean is hacked for english text)

Other than that i haven't really noticed anything other than random freezes when/after loading a game.

But hey, it's still pretty awesome to have emulators up and running at full speed after, what, 2-3 months with TRUE Wii homebrew(and a method that doesnt break your warranty to!)

OutPhaseIccy
April 3rd, 2008, 21:53
Weird, if I load the emulator from my working SD card, then insert my non-working SD card, everything works (except for the saving still).

Is there any way to save yet through SD?

vicious1988
April 3rd, 2008, 22:09
You can switch SDCards because the emulator runs in memory. If you load a game you can switch to another SDCard and the loaded game will still work since its in memory.

However, if you switch the SDCard you can load from whatever roms directory is on it, or get an error if that directory doesn't exist. If you have no SDCard in you will just get errors when trying to get to the roms list.

You can't save to SDCard yet because the f_write function isn't implemented. The main reason for that is it is a dangerous command to work with. But svpe has submitted code for frontsd save/load to devkitPro and it should be available in the next toolchain.

ringo20000
April 3rd, 2008, 22:47
Has anyone tried saving to an sd gecko? I have only heard people talk about using gamecube memory cards. I only have an official nintendo one which apparently won't work, so I want to know if I should go hunting for a cheap 3rd party one or just wait for my sd gecko which should be here in a week or 2.

fgsfdsyo
April 3rd, 2008, 22:51
Is there a select button?

I'm trying to play secret of mana over again but I haven't found a select button.

Also, if using twilight hack and sdloader, is it possible to use gamesaves?

OutPhaseIccy
April 3rd, 2008, 23:04
I think the Z button on a gamecube controller is the select button.

This is by far the greatest hacking I've ever done (probably because I've never hacked a system before) and plus it didn't cost anything =D

Just can't wait for saving to become available.

misticknight
April 3rd, 2008, 23:08
damn i thought i already posted this, i musta forgot to press post reply, but basically i tried it again on a 1GB Sandisk microSD in a SD adapter and it still didn't work only this time instead of listing the "starting cluster" messages it just wrote one then a line of random numbers and after about 5 seconds another one will come up and it just kept doing that for about a minute before i gave up. i'm gonna try when i get home to do it with hack 3.0b and format my microSD card to fat 32 and see if that help if that doesn't, then until someone knows for sure i officially give up. also just incase i damage my wii further did it turn off with you normally when you did get the messages or did you have to turn it off from the power point cause thats what i've been doing.?

OutPhaseIccy
April 3rd, 2008, 23:16
damn i thought i already posted this, i musta forgot to press post reply, but basically i tried it again on a 1GB Sandisk microSD in a SD adapter and it still didn't work only this time instead of listing the "starting cluster" messages it just wrote one then a line of random numbers and after about 5 seconds another one will come up and it just kept doing that for about a minute before i gave up. i'm gonna try when i get home to do it with hack 3.0b and format my microSD card to fat 32 and see if that help if that doesn't, then until someone knows for sure i officially give up. also just incase i damage my wii further did it turn off with you normally when you did get the messages or did you have to turn it off from the power point cause thats what i've been doing.?

Thats what happened at first. The way I stopped it was to make sure that I didn't have any roms in another folder in my SD card. Make sure all of your roms are in a folder named "roms" thats directly in the root of your card.

misticknight
April 3rd, 2008, 23:20
thats exactly where i have it, and i only have one rom too just incase having more was what was makign the error (i doubt it but it was worth a shot). still nothing. i even tried just naming the elf file "boot" cause someone on gamefaqs told me it's already an ELF file so naming it boot.elf is the same as writing boot.elf.elf and that still did nothing so i really have no idea. i have one more microSD card i can try but i'll have to do it when i get home later if that still doesn't work then until someone actually works it out i dont know. do you think maybe you can give me a step by step guide just incase i missed something little detail thats causing this?

OutPhaseIccy
April 3rd, 2008, 23:25
I don't think that MicroSD cards work with starting up the emulator, mine didn't. When you downloaded the file, it should have came with two files in the original rom folder, one called COL15.smc and then another one that ended with .s

Get the one that ended with .s and put it in the folder where you put your rom. Thats how I got mine to stop that.

misticknight
April 3rd, 2008, 23:29
you mean when i downloaded the elf file? cause all i got in the zip was "snes9x.elf" and "snes9x.dol". if you can link me to where you downloaded maybe then it will actually work. also about the microSD thing i only tried that after my proper SD one didn't work just incase and it still done it with that.

or better yet can you just upload the files your talking about and link me to them?

OutPhaseIccy
April 4th, 2008, 00:17
you mean when i downloaded the elf file? cause all i got in the zip was "snes9x.elf" and "snes9x.dol". if you can link me to where you downloaded maybe then it will actually work. also about the microSD thing i only tried that after my proper SD one didn't work just incase and it still done it with that.

or better yet can you just upload the files your talking about and link me to them?

I will when I get home tonight, but I can't promise it'll fix your problem, but it fixed mine.

misticknight
April 4th, 2008, 00:25
thanks sounds good to me, it's worth a shot anyways.

OutPhaseIccy
April 4th, 2008, 00:30
thanks sounds good to me, it's worth a shot anyways.

I did find the file in the other upload, the one that you don't actually need in your SD card. The SNES Frontsd 2 Source zip. Its in the rom folder in there, thats what I put in the root rom folder to make it work.

misticknight
April 4th, 2008, 00:33
true well i downloaded it now but i cant try till later. if the files are in there then i spose theres no need for you to upload anymore. i just hope it works.

Fredgoobus
April 4th, 2008, 01:19
Worked like a charm the first time. Star fox 2 works on it! One question though, does it hurt the wii to have to hold down the power button to turn it off?:confused:

trelantana
April 4th, 2008, 04:42
Worked like a charm the first time. Star fox 2 works on it! One question though, does it hurt the wii to have to hold down the power button to turn it off?:confused:

I can't see why it would, unless there were a write going on in memory at the time.

Eviltaco64
April 4th, 2008, 06:27
Does this emulator have motion sensing?

souLLy
April 4th, 2008, 07:29
Does this emulator have motion sensing?

No nothing released right now can use the wii remote yet

misticknight
April 4th, 2008, 08:01
just so you know outphase i tried what you said and it still didn't work so i'mgiving up till theres a new version.thanks for trying though anyways.

do you guys think it's my SD card (someone on Gamefaqs seems to think it could be) and if so which ones are you using?

vicious1988
April 4th, 2008, 15:27
I don't know what to tell you about why it isn't working. If I get enough free time I'll write a quick guide for setup, operation, and troubleshooting.

the1mike1man
April 4th, 2008, 15:41
I've loaded the 'Twilight Hack' but after the emulator loads it gets stuck on a blue screen (NB. the twilight hack works fine)

the1mike1man
April 4th, 2008, 16:23
Never mind fixed it :)

OutPhaseIccy
April 4th, 2008, 16:38
Just wondering, can this emulator run anything else other than SNES games?

kingslime80
April 4th, 2008, 18:01
Is there some way to save using a Nintendo-branded Memory card? I tried the remove-insert method and it just wouldn't load the card itself. :(

tehnoir
April 4th, 2008, 18:58
Just wondering, can this emulator run anything else other than SNES games?

:rofl:

OutPhaseIccy
April 4th, 2008, 19:00
:rofl:

Why thank you for showing me exactly what I needed =D

DimensionT
April 4th, 2008, 19:53
Is there some way to save using a Nintendo-branded Memory card? I tried the remove-insert method and it just wouldn't load the card itself. :(

People need to stop asking the same questions 30 times over... It's be talked about before, and you'd be able to find your answer if you actually read the thread.

kingslime80
April 4th, 2008, 20:39
I read the thread, it says you "Might" be able to get it to work. You should read it yourself before flaming others.

paco9060
April 4th, 2008, 20:49
No one said there was a way to save using them. Vicious only said to reinsert them as a last ditch effort. Official cards just aren't supported yet.

DimensionT
April 4th, 2008, 21:43
Now I remember why I don't come here often anymore.

I read the thread, it says you "Might" be able to get it to work. You should read it yourself before flaming others.

If you had read it carefully you would now that there's nothing else you can do besides reinserting it, which you've already done.

With as many people trying to get them working, a fix would've been posted if there was one.

rc11982
April 4th, 2008, 22:18
OK I have read thru the thread and need some help I am new to the Wii Homebrew... To run this Emu this is what I need to do right?

Install the LOZ: TP Hack... Just like and other game save

Then place the rename the SNES.elf to boot.elf and place it on the main part in no folder on the SD card

Ex J:\boot.elf

and a roms folder

J:\roms

Right?

I have been looking for a guide on how to do this if anyone knows where there is one please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Ryan915
April 4th, 2008, 22:27
OK I have read thru the thread and need some help I am new to the Wii Homebrew... To run this Emu this is what I need to do right?

Install the LOZ: TP Hack... Just like and other game save

Then place the rename the SNES.elf to boot.elf and place it on the main part in no folder on the SD card

Ex J:\boot.elf

and a roms folder

J:\roms

Right?

I have been looking for a guide on how to do this if anyone knows where there is one please point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Yeah that sounds right to me, give it a go and post back if you have any problems.

Edit: Uploaded a pic of my SD card if it helps, and added a video on youtube which briefly shows loading the rom once you've got the emulator loaded:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un-APi34ri0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un-APi34ri0

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7978/wiisddr9.th.gif (http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wiisddr9.gif)

myownfreeworld
April 4th, 2008, 22:54
Great app! I'm loving super mario allstars

vicious1988
April 4th, 2008, 23:55
Just so you guys know I am working on a guide right now. I should have it complete and available by later tommorow (4-6pm ET).

h2923j42n2
April 5th, 2008, 00:07
Now I remember why I don't come here often anymore.

Yeah. The fact that there is a seventeen page thread on GameFAQs, linking to this thread, doesn't help matters either.

vicious1988
April 5th, 2008, 00:22
Wow, usually stuff I release goes about 3 pages and never jumps forums.

klub242
April 5th, 2008, 00:29
Hey vicious, do you have a few minutes you could maybe help me figure out what's going on with my gamecube memory card? I've tried playing a rom and saving the sram but it doesn't seem to work. It says __ bytes save succesfully and ___ bytes loaded succesfully (the number in the blank depends on the game i try to save), but it never actually loads the save file because it never shows up in game. When I look at the saves on the memory card with the save data manager on my wii, it shows one file for each game i've tried saving that takes up 1 block and the file name is all y's. Seems like it is saving corrupted. It's a 128mb nyko card.

Do you think there is any way to fix that?

vicious1988
April 5th, 2008, 01:05
I seen you posted about that on tehskeen. I'm not sure why that happens. Someone else had a problem with their card on Slot A and it worked fine on Slot B. Maybe try that?

Your could probably try formatting your card, might help.

klub242
April 5th, 2008, 01:07
how do i format a gamecube memory card? Sounds like a good idea to me... but i have no idea how to do that :P

vicious1988
April 5th, 2008, 01:13
Its in the Wii options.

klub242
April 5th, 2008, 01:15
oh awesome thanks... i never noticed that option lol *feels dumb*

vicious1988
April 5th, 2008, 01:18
BTW I just release the guide for new users that way you don't have to ask the same question 100 times here. Finished it sooner than I figured I would.

http://dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2148045696#post2148045696

klub242
April 5th, 2008, 01:52
Hmm well i never did find that format button, oh well.

I could get a game to load, play, hit the save sram button, then hit reset emulator, and the save would still be there. however if i hit load sram and try playing it again the saved stuff never shows up XD

Should i just give up until the next devkit update is out?

vicious1988
April 5th, 2008, 02:24
I guess the Wii doesn't have a format button. I know you can format it on a gamecube though.

I really don't know what to say. I see no reason why it doesn't save properly. It save all y's right? It doesn't make sense.

Nintendog66
April 5th, 2008, 05:05
I need help with this, how do i do it and what do I need? I already have an SD card...

h2923j42n2
April 5th, 2008, 05:36
I need help with this, how do i do it and what do I need? I already have an SD card...

- Wii version of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
- SD Card, which you say you already have.
- A way to access your SD card on a computer.

Download the Twilight Hack by clicking here (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2147504685&d=1205476810), and follow these (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2148033642&postcount=1) instructions on how to install it onto your SD card, and then copy that file over to your Wii.

EDIT: If you have any problems with the above Twilight Hack (3a), try 3b by downloading it here (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2147505024&d=1206091266)

Next, download SNES9X (newest version here (http://dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2147505248&d=1207134910)). Rename the .elf file to 'boot.elf'. Make a folder named 'roms', and place your ROMs in there. I believe filenames are limited to fifty characters, including the .smc extension. Now, place the SD card into the Wii, start up Twilight Princess, select 'Twilight Hack' on the character selection screen. When the game starts, either talk to the other guy in the area, or run backwards. The ELF loader will start, and the emulator should boot up.

Nintendog66
April 5th, 2008, 05:46
sorry you had to go through all that when I just clicked the link above from vicious and followed the instructions lol

But I have a problem, when the emulator starts I go "Play game" and the screen goes all weird and some green and red lines show, with something I suppose is a "command" or something below that shows for a couple of seconds, last time I only got to see "corrupted rom" or something like that, along with other characters that didn't make sense... I can go back into the snes9x menu by pressing L+R+Z(actually i don't know the exact combination so i just press them all =P).

If the Rom's are the problem then where can I get ROMs that would work?

any ideas?

h2923j42n2
April 5th, 2008, 06:00
sorry you had to go through all that when I just clicked the link above from vicious and followed the instructions lol

But I have a problem, when the emulator starts I go "Play game" and the screen goes all weird and some green and red lines show, with something I suppose is a "command" or something below that shows for a couple of seconds, last time I only got to see "corrupted rom" or something like that, along with other characters that didn't make sense... I can go back into the snes9x menu by pressing L+R+Z(actually i don't know the exact combination so i just press them all =P).

If the Rom's are the problem then where can I get ROMs that would work?

any ideas?

When you load the emulator, did you select "Load New Game", "Load From Front", and selected the game you wanted to play, first? Also, Z+R takes you back to the SNES9X menu.

Nintendog66
April 5th, 2008, 06:05
Ohhhh!!!! I didn't know I had to "load" the rom first, hehehe I'm so stupid :P

Thank you VERY VERY MUCH! :D

Nintendog66
April 5th, 2008, 06:15
oh and just one more question(I SWEAR this is my last one :P), will I ever be able to update my Wii again? because nintendo bricks my wii if it finds something fishy going on in it... like the twilight hack...

h2923j42n2
April 5th, 2008, 06:25
oh and just one more question(I SWEAR this is my last one :P), will I ever be able to update my Wii again? because nintendo bricks my wii if it finds something fishy going on in it... like the twilight hack...

The newest update contains a fix for an exploit on the Wii firmware, which allows things like homebrew channels to be added to the Wii. It is unclear what will happen if a homebrew channel is installed when that fix is activated. The Twilight Hack does not alter anything on the Wii, so it will not cause a brick. I suppose a new update could possibly patch the Twilight Hack, by making it check Zelda saves to make sure the horses name (Epona) is correct. They can't patch the exploit that exists on already issued discs, however.

Nintendog66
April 5th, 2008, 06:28
Great thanks again. I never really owned a SNES, I ddi a jump from the NES to the N64, sometimes played teh SNES on my friends but I never really owned one now it time for some delicious gaming :P

footballer62
April 5th, 2008, 08:11
wow! i just tried this, and got it working in about 10 minutes, its amazing!!!!!!!! i cant wait till full sd card support is available! im lovin this! keep up the amazing work!

kingslime80
April 5th, 2008, 18:46
Thanks to the bits of information collected and made public by the wiibrew.org and libogc communities we have been able to write a block driver to use SD cards through the Nintendo Wii front SD card slot. The driver provides read /write support and performance is fine (2.1 MB/s reads on my normal SD cards) compared to the classic SD card adapter driver.

Does this mean we'll be able to save our games soon?:thumbup:

tehnoir
April 5th, 2008, 19:31
Does this mean we'll be able to save our games soon?:thumbup:

Do people think that if they keep asking over and over that it will come sooner?

ringo20000
April 5th, 2008, 20:01
I was wondering which version of Seiken Densetsu 3 is the best translation? Is it this one: Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T+Eng1.01_NCorlett+LNFT][h1][f1] (bug fixes).smc? I really liked the original Secret of Mana and thought I would finally play this one.

kingslime80
April 5th, 2008, 22:18
Do people think that if they keep asking over and over that it will come sooner?

Not really, but it pays to hope. :cool:

kingslime80
April 5th, 2008, 22:36
Can we get the next release to read the full Rom name? Having Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart and Super Mario All-Stars it's tough to tell which one is which.

ringo20000
April 5th, 2008, 22:46
If I have more than one sram file on my memory card and I try to load the sram for super punch out I am getting no save file found and I also can't save the sram getting an unable to create error. My other sram saves seem to load correctly it is just this one that I can see for now.

I also found that if I do a move or copy between an unofficial and official memory card I get an unable to mount memory card when I go into the emulator. Removing the memory card and reinserting seems to allow it to be read.

myownfreeworld
April 5th, 2008, 23:23
Yeah, full rom names and support for files with different symbols would make it perfect ^^

Jay6
April 6th, 2008, 00:23
If I have more than one sram file on my memory card and I try to load the sram for super punch out I am getting no save file found and I also can't save the sram getting an unable to create error. My other sram saves seem to load correctly it is just this one that I can see for now.

I also found that if I do a move or copy between an unofficial and official memory card I get an unable to mount memory card when I go into the emulator. Removing the memory card and reinserting seems to allow it to be read.

I have the same issue with Seiken Densetsu 3. I try to load its save, and it says there isn't one. I try to save over the file, and I get "Error Create: -7 0" All others work fine.

ringo20000
April 6th, 2008, 02:30
I have the same issue with Seiken Densetsu 3. I try to load its save, and it says there isn't one. I try to save over the file, and I get "Error Create: -7 0" All others work fine.

That's interesting because it starting happening after I created a Seiken Densetsu 3 sram file. It seems like that sram file corrupts something. Try making that the only sram file on the memory card and see if that works.

Shiro786
April 6th, 2008, 04:17
It was just in my roms file when I downloaded the files found on the first page of this topic.

As for it being a rare occasion that SD cards don't work, could it be that my card is actually a Micro SD card in a normal SD Card shell? Its essentially an SD card, its just smaller, so I don't see what the problem is.

Wrong. No.

I'm using a MicroSD card with an SD Card Adapter (Kingston 2GB Japan, just in case you're wondering), and it works flawlessly. You either have a bad memory card, or you're doing something wrong.

mothball
April 6th, 2008, 05:49

Open the ROM in a hex editor, find the ROM name and change one letter to something else. Then try it again. Super Mario RPG did the same thing, so I did that and now it works perfectly.

gamer4250
April 6th, 2008, 06:25
Hey guys, I currently don't own a 3rd party memory card, and I'm wanting to go and buy a used one for cheap. Does anyone know which specific brands/products work, and maybe some recommendations? Thanks for the help.

Oh, and I'm using a micro SD card with an adapter and the emulator works like a charm.

EDIT: Also, will there be support for front slot SD card SRAM saving in the future? And anytime soon?

h2923j42n2
April 6th, 2008, 06:54
Hey guys, I currently don't own a 3rd party memory card, and I'm wanting to go and buy a used one for cheap. Does anyone know which specific brands/products work, and maybe some recommendations? Thanks for the help.

Oh, and I'm using a micro SD card with an adapter and the emulator works like a charm.

EDIT: Also, will there be support for front slot SD card SRAM saving in the future? And anytime soon?

I have a Datel memory card, and have had no problems so far saving to it. I have also heard that you can save to an Action Replay memory card, but I can't confirm that. Support for saving to the front SD will most likely be added when the libraries are updated. I don't know when the updated libraries will be released.

OutPhaseIccy
April 6th, 2008, 06:57
There's only one problem I'm having with the emulator (other than saving because it doesn't work lol)

When I go to load a rom, it shows the first 6 or 7 roms, then when I go to view more by just going down, after the last rom on the screen, the cursor will just disappear, but I can still pick the roms. Say for example, I have 10 roms. The first 7 show. When I go to select the 8th, the cursor will dissappear from the 7th, but the list of games won't go to the 8th. However, if I pressed the A button, it would load the 8th.

Basically I can't see what I'm picking if I'm picking through more than 7 or so roms.

Jay6
April 6th, 2008, 07:02
There's only one problem I'm having with the emulator (other than saving because it doesn't work lol)

When I go to load a rom, it shows the first 6 or 7 roms, then when I go to view more by just going down, after the last rom on the screen, the cursor will just disappear, but I can still pick the roms. Say for example, I have 10 roms. The first 7 show. When I go to select the 8th, the cursor will dissappear from the 7th, but the list of games won't go to the 8th. However, if I pressed the A button, it would load the 8th.

Basically I can't see what I'm picking if I'm picking through more than 7 or so roms.

On the Load from Front screen, on the D-Pad, press right to view the others if you have more than 7 or 8. Also, saving is only supported by 3rd party gcn memory cards.

h2923j42n2
April 6th, 2008, 07:02

Press Left or Right on the GameCube controller to be able to see the rest of the ROMs.

gamer4250
April 6th, 2008, 07:13
I have a Datel memory card, and have had no problems so far saving to it. I have also heard that you can save to an Action Replay memory card, but I can't confirm that. Support for saving to the front SD will most likely be added when the libraries are updated. I don't know when the updated libraries will be released.

Alright, thanks.

Can you give any sort of estimate, as in by the end of the summer, by the end of april, etc etc

Jay6
April 6th, 2008, 07:20
Open the ROM in a hex editor, find the ROM name and change one letter to something else. Then try it again. Super Mario RPG did the same thing, so I did that and now it works perfectly.

Tried this, didn't work. Should I try changing a different letter, or... what?

h2923j42n2
April 6th, 2008, 07:23
Alright, thanks.

Can you give any sort of estimate, as in by the end of the summer, by the end of april, etc etc

Sorry, I don't know anything about them, and can't say when they will be released. People kept saying the same thing about loading ROMs from the front SD, so I guess you never know when it could happen.

footballer62
April 6th, 2008, 07:27
i have a question, how do you turn off the wii after using this? my system didnt want to turn off by ANY method, so I had to pull the power cable

h2923j42n2
April 6th, 2008, 07:33
i have a question, how do you turn off the wii after using this? my system didnt want to turn off by ANY method, so I had to pull the power cable

Hold the Power button on the Wii console in for about four seconds, and it will eventually shut off.

oligore
April 6th, 2008, 08:19
Does saving sram on the memory card affect any gamecube saves on it? I just want to be on the safe side.:o

Lutias
April 6th, 2008, 08:26
Hi Folks,
i have tested the Snes Emu on my PAL Wii it runs fine i can play any Roms but when i run NTSC roms the Sound got slowed :S, when i play PAL roms everything is fine!

Are any PAL WII users here who have the same problem ??

So my question is, its any programs out wo can convert NTSC Snes ROMS to PAL snes Roms??

pls help me i will play Chrono Trigger but not with slow music :S

thanks for any help

Lutias ~

Jay6
April 6th, 2008, 09:09
Does saving sram on the memory card affect any gamecube saves on it? I just want to be on the safe side.:o

Nope. It doesn't affect other gcn saves.

h2923j42n2
April 6th, 2008, 09:48

As Jay6 said, it doesn't (or, at least shouldn't) cause any problems with other GameCube saves. I tried a save file I had for the GameCube version of Twilight Princess, and found no problems with it.

-Regii™
April 6th, 2008, 11:22
I completely love this emu :D

Until a few minutes ago I had problems with saving with a GameCube Memory Card although it wasn't by Nintendo, but after changing the boot.elf (I had another one, not the one vicious gave us) and taking another MC, it now perfectly works, don't even have problems with Seiken Densetsu 3.

I heard there's new version out with Save State support, DLed from somewhere and I think I'll try it out.

ringo20000
April 6th, 2008, 14:20
Tried this, didn't work. Should I try changing a different letter, or... what?

Jay did you try making Seiken Densetsu 3 the only sram save on your memory card? When I did this I was able to load the Punch Out save that wouldn't work. If that is the only save file I wonder if it does something to the save file in the first block because that is where my punch out save was when I saved the Seiken Densetsu 3 sram.

I may try to see if I can replicate what is causing the error with a clean memory card.

halobenish
April 6th, 2008, 15:36
I completely love this emu :D

Until a few minutes ago I had problems with saving with a GameCube Memory Card although it wasn't by Nintendo, but after changing the boot.elf (I had another one, not the one vicious gave us) and taking another MC, it now perfectly works, don't even have problems with Seiken Densetsu 3.

I heard there's new version out with Save State support, DLed from somewhere and I think I'll try it out.

would you mind posting a link?

-Regii™
April 6th, 2008, 17:15
would you mind posting a link?

Hmm forget it I think there were just .dol files so it's most probably a GC version dunno.

btw, the emu f*cks my Memory Cards, when I save e.g. SD3 on my Memory Card, then sometimes it works and i can reload it, but just now i had to format the mc and all.my.saves.were.gone (SSBM T_____T) now I only had the SD3 save there and it didn't work AGAIN -> forced format, so wtf is wrong there? >_>

Also, I couldn't read a Chrono Trigger save I could read a few minutes ago, dammit, MC support is kind of crappy .___.

EDIT: Again, I just saved the SRAM for Chrono Trigger - worked. Then I turned the console off, turned it on again, tried to load the CT SRAM - no SRAM found. W.T.F.?!

RockyRan
April 6th, 2008, 17:41
Can someone help me? I can't save on my memory cards for some odd reason. I have a Madcatz 128 block card and a first party Nintendo 32 block card in the first and second slots respectively. I tried switching the "load from" option to slot B and then to A, but neither worked. Any clues as to why its not doing it right?

gamer4250
April 6th, 2008, 18:28
Ok I have one more question (Sorry, I'm such a noob)

Is this Front SD ELF loader something that lets me choose from a list of ELF files to run? Also, is it safe to use?

ringo20000
April 6th, 2008, 19:02
Can someone help me? I can't save on my memory cards for some odd reason. I have a Madcatz 128 block card and a first party Nintendo 32 block card in the first and second slots respectively. I tried switching the "load from" option to slot B and then to A, but neither worked. Any clues as to why its not doing it right?

Rocky, You can't even have the nintendo card in one of the memory card slots. Try just putting the madcatz card in. Also you may have to take the card out and reinsert it to get it recognized.

vicious1988
April 6th, 2008, 19:33
The front SD elf loader is safe, I use it all the time. It allows you to choose from a list of elf files in the elf directory. The thread and readme for it can explain better than I can.

Boshinator24
April 6th, 2008, 19:37
Will Official Nintendo Memory Cards ever be supported?
What about saving to the front SD Card slot?

paco9060
April 6th, 2008, 19:40
lol...

NegFactor
April 6th, 2008, 23:20
Rocky, You can't even have the nintendo card in one of the memory card slots. Try just putting the madcatz card in. Also you may have to take the card out and reinsert it to get it recognized.

Just to clarify, you can have the Nintendo brand one in and it is fine. I just purchased a Madcatz today to experiment with and left my Nintendo card in slot B and on first boot up after the Twilight Hack, it immediately recognized the Madcatz card as mounted.

If it helps at all, I placed both cards in before I even turned on the Wii, so there was no need for reinsertion at any point.

RockyRan
April 7th, 2008, 03:50

Well, I stupidly realized that all I needed to do was to save/load to SRAM for the saving to work. I somehow thought that they did it automatically.

I got two more questions, though:

1) I have small black bars on the top/bottom of all my games, but they don't look like they're "widescreen" black bars. Is this normal, and if it isn't, how do I fix it?

2) Is it normal for the sound to be a little sketchy? There's a few games that just completely glitch up in terms of sound, and others that just have one or two sound effects messed up. Again, if it isn't normal, what should I do to make it better?

DimensionT
April 7th, 2008, 03:59
Will Official Nintendo Memory Cards ever be supported?
What about saving to the front SD Card slot?

They'll both be supported the second people stop asking questions that've been asked 50 times before... Which is never.

tehnoir
April 7th, 2008, 04:36
They'll both be supported the second people stop asking questions that've been asked 50 times before... Which is never.

Do you have a date that people will stop asking questions then?
:) I'm glad I'm not the only one extremely irritated by such questions. I just wish we could keep this a little on topic for people actually trying to get help here and discuss actual bugs.

Skrubber
April 7th, 2008, 17:02
Is it possible to save if you have a SDGecko. I'll get mine in a few days.

h2923j42n2
April 7th, 2008, 17:50
Is it possible to save if you have a SDGecko. I'll get mine in a few days.

Yes.

http://dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2148045696&postcount=20

DimensionT
April 7th, 2008, 18:57
Do you have a date that people will stop asking questions then?
:) I'm glad I'm not the only one extremely irritated by such questions. I just wish we could keep this a little on topic for people actually trying to get help here and discuss actual bugs.

I did give you a date. "Which is never".

Everyone should find the people repeating questions annoying. They're the reason coders like Lordus stopped releasing updates.

Noobs would sign up to download jEnesisDS and start talking crap when they found out it didn't have sound. Then they'd start the train of 1,000 questions.

vicious1988
April 7th, 2008, 21:06
*Quietly watching from keyboard*

DimensionT
April 7th, 2008, 21:25
*Quietly watching from keyboard*

Lol, sorry Vicious... I just don't want the same thing to happen to you.

Jay6
April 8th, 2008, 00:06
Jay did you try making Seiken Densetsu 3 the only sram save on your memory card? When I did this I was able to load the Punch Out save that wouldn't work. If that is the only save file I wonder if it does something to the save file in the first block because that is where my punch out save was when I saved the Seiken Densetsu 3 sram.

I may try to see if I can replicate what is causing the error with a clean memory card.

Well, I got it to work on my empty memory card... but I hate using this memory card. Sometimes it decides that it doesn't want to work, and I have to try plugging it in again until it does... (It did corrupt at least once) but at least it works now... only on an empty memory card, I guess. Although, it SHOULD work on a memory card with other data on it.

ringo20000
April 8th, 2008, 00:18
Jay, what brand memory card are you using? I've been having similar problems with a joytech brand I got from walmart.

Jay6
April 8th, 2008, 00:51
The one I'm using with my rom saves is my Hip Gear 59 block card...
The other one, the one SD3 worked on, is my crappy interact 1019 block card which has corrupted at least once.
The other one is my Official GCN memory card that stores 251 blocks.

nanu
April 8th, 2008, 00:52
Thanks, Vicious! This emulator is awesome!

PS: I love your avatar, Bebop is my all time favorite show. =D

Boshinator24
April 8th, 2008, 01:08

I am wondering though, if it is a possibility to happen. Or a big NO, and I will need to purchase a 3rd party memory card to emulate anything. So does it seem possible?

DimensionT
April 8th, 2008, 01:58
Short answer:

Official Nintendo Cards - maybe
Front SD - eventually

Boshinator24
April 8th, 2008, 02:32
Short answer:

Official Nintendo Cards - maybe
Front SD - eventually

Hmm, so should I trade my 16MB SD card for a 59 block third party Memory card. Or just wait?
(Is 59 blocks enough?)

RockyRan
April 8th, 2008, 03:32
Can someone answer my question please? :(

Mr.Guy
April 8th, 2008, 03:40
Someone has already answered you. :cool:

ZeroSeven
April 8th, 2008, 03:40
Yes, hello, I want to point out something, I may be wrong, but I may not.

I think Earthbound might be detecting that it is copied on this emulator, I'm noticing more enemies than usual, and in towns sometimes too which is said to be a sign of copy protection in EB's code. I could be wrong because I never got to summers before, so I do not know if enemies are suppose to be in there.

Good job on the emulator, and I'm not sure if this is suppose to be here...

RockyRan
April 8th, 2008, 03:44
Someone has already answered you. :cool:

No, I'm talking about my second post:

1) I have small black bars on the top/bottom of all my games, but they don't look like they're "widescreen" black bars. Is this normal, and if it isn't, how do I fix it?

2) Is it normal for the sound to be a little sketchy? There's a few games that just completely glitch up in terms of sound, and others that just have one or two sound effects messed up. Again, if it isn't normal, what should I do to make it better?

vicious1988
April 8th, 2008, 03:58
I have black bars too. I'm pretty sure that is because of how the emu is scaled.

I know the sound is buggy, some games have missing audio streams (play NBA Jam to see what I mean). Don't know why.

Mr.Guy
April 8th, 2008, 04:00
Its a early version of the emu so dont expect a ton from it. The bars are normal. And the sound? What game has the sound problem?

RockyRan
April 8th, 2008, 04:10
Its a early version of the emu so dont expect a ton from it. The bars are normal. And the sound? What game has the sound problem?

The only ones that have some serious issues are the Aero the Acro-Bat games (rather obscure), whose music tracks glitch up in the first 10 seconds and then stop playing altogether.

The rest of the games just have one or two glitchy sounds here and there, no biggy.

Mr.Guy
April 8th, 2008, 04:50
? Weird... I guess just wait until someone fixes it?

PhoenixSFT
April 8th, 2008, 06:01
Has anyone been able to save in Super Mario RPG? I can save once, then I get an Error -70 message. It's really odd. I really want to play it, has anyone found a way around this problem?

My memory card works just fine and I can save on all the other games (Earthbound, Lufia, Yoshi's Island, etc.).

Oh btw, thanks Vicious, this emulator is excellent!

Jay6
April 8th, 2008, 06:39
Has anyone been able to save in Super Mario RPG? I can save once, then I get an Error -70 message. It's really odd. I really want to play it, has anyone found a way around this problem?

My memory card works just fine and I can save on all the other games (Earthbound, Lufia, Yoshi's Island, etc.).

I had this same problem with Seiken Densetsu 3. Just try using a different 3rd party memory card... a blank one preferably.

vicious1988
April 8th, 2008, 07:26
Error -7 0 in SMRPG?

That's strange, it works fine for me.

mothball
April 8th, 2008, 09:08

Try changing the rom's internal name with a hex editor. I had the same problem and doing so fixed it for some reason.

PhoenixSFT
April 8th, 2008, 17:16
hmmm...alright, how do I do that and where do I get one?

nitish07
April 8th, 2008, 18:34

I get an Error -90 message. I've read the entire thread and I know I have to change the rom's internal name with a hex editor, but I have absolutely no clue on how to do that. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PhoenixSFT
April 8th, 2008, 18:56
Would it be possible for someone to send me their version of Mario RPG that works (already has the hex editor used on it)?

If not, that's fine, I'll try to work it out myself. It also has never saved on any emulators I've played on my PC, so clearly it does not want me to experience the awesomeness that is supposed to be SMRPG.

mothball
April 8th, 2008, 19:32
http://www.emulationzone.org/projects/hexecute/hexecute-2.10_full.zip
Get that, open it, load the rom, ctrl+f SUPER (case-sensitive), and change one letter to something else. Save and put it on the card.

As for the -9 error, according to card.h, it means you don't have enough space on the memory card to save.

PhoenixSFT
April 8th, 2008, 20:36
Thanks mothball!

Jay6
April 9th, 2008, 00:23
Err... this is very odd. I am able to save Seiken Densetsu 3 perfectly, right? Right. Now one of my other games, Super Mario Kart, that used to have no problem, is having the same problem Seiken Densetsu 3 had, and I did nothing to Super Mario Kart. I fixed SD3 like you said, with the hex editor changing the internal name, but SMK wasn't having any problems until now. It's Error -7 0 still, btw.

TetsuoKunio
April 9th, 2008, 15:16
Question Time

I really wanna start saving in some games. But I'd have to buy an unofficial memory card.

Should I bother finding one and buy it?
or
should I wait for an update to save straight to the front SD card?

Are we talking weeks till an update or a few days?

vicious1988
April 9th, 2008, 21:17
Minimum weeks, maximum months. I don't know the status of the next toolchain release. I wouldn't go out and buy a 3rd party card w/o asking what people here have. Most of the problems people are having is either their card is too small or there is an error in the ROM's header.

I use a 123 block Intec and it works just fine.

ringo20000
April 9th, 2008, 22:29
Err... this is very odd. I am able to save Seiken Densetsu 3 perfectly, right? Right. Now one of my other games, Super Mario Kart, that used to have no problem, is having the same problem Seiken Densetsu 3 had, and I did nothing to Super Mario Kart. I fixed SD3 like you said, with the hex editor changing the internal name, but SMK wasn't having any problems until now. It's Error -7 0 still, btw.

I was trying to track this down and the fact that the sram will work when it is the only file on the memory card but errors out when there are others implies to me that it is a bug in the code and not a problem with the memory card or rom file. If it was a mem card or rom problems I don't see why it work work when it is the only file, it should work ever. I was going through the code and the only thing I could come up with was there is something wrong with the CardFileExists function since when this is used in both the load and save and when the error occurs you can't load the sram or save over the existing file.

NegFactor
April 10th, 2008, 01:27
My card is a Madcatz 1019 64mb card and it works perfectly (with or without a 1st part in the other slot), just in case people want info on cards that work.

kingslime80
April 10th, 2008, 01:50
I was trying to track this down and the fact that the sram will work when it is the only file on the memory card but errors out when there are others implies to me that it is a bug in the code and not a problem with the memory card or rom file. If it was a mem card or rom problems I don't see why it work work when it is the only file, it should work ever. I was going through the code and the only thing I could come up with was there is something wrong with the CardFileExists function since when this is used in both the load and save and when the error occurs you can't load the sram or save over the existing file.

That sounds simple anough to fix. Hopefully that means a v4.5 release. Is there anything you found that could explain why Nintendo-Brand Memory Cards won't work?

If anyone who knows what the different error codes are is reading this, could you post them as a referance?

Mr.Guy
April 10th, 2008, 19:00
So wait the Nintendo cards dont work? And does this SRAM work now?

TetsuoKunio
April 10th, 2008, 20:31
Only for memory cards that are not the official Nintendo ones. Make sure they got room too.

halobenish
April 10th, 2008, 20:40
is v4 still the latest release?

rustynathan
April 10th, 2008, 21:54
Any way to get rid of the shitty 9 character limit?

ringo20000
April 10th, 2008, 22:00
Vicious, I remember you saying if you had an sd gecko why would you be using this version. I just got my sd gecko in the mail and I am wondering why you would say this? Which emulators would you recommend using in place. (this includes snes, nes, and genesis).

markl187ld
April 10th, 2008, 23:48
Venom 8MB GC memory card. - Works Fine

vicious1988
April 11th, 2008, 00:44
Guys, as you know the past few days have been big in homebrew. FrontSD saving is coming into view, as is network capabilities. However, I am going to state this again. There will not be another release until the new toolchains are released, and I don't mean via the CVS.

This is because I want there to be the most amount of compatibility possible so I don't have to hear "My official GC card doesn't work" or "My (enter brand name here) SD Card doesn't work" or "This corrupted my SD Card and I had to format it because you are a shi**y coder". And so I can say, beyond a reasonable doubt, that it is not my fault.

turtleman6431
April 11th, 2008, 02:17
Just an addition to compatibility here, the Gamestop Brand x1 card works great.

Though, I've got a question, and I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet.
I have both the NES emulator, and this SNES emulator on my wii. Now, when my memory card has a NES Save file on it, it somehow conflicts with my SNES saves, and I get an "SRAM not found." Error in SNES GX. So I did a little fiddling, and found out that it was because I had a save state from the NES emulator on that memory card. I deleted the save state and my SNES save files started working fine again.

misticknight
April 11th, 2008, 02:44
vicous1988, do you think you will be able to make the next release support the CC and if not, do you see it happening at all anytime soon or is it just to hard atm?

Mr.Guy
April 11th, 2008, 02:50
Read his post idiot.

SuperRandi123
April 11th, 2008, 03:10
Ummm...has anyone had problem with playing European titles such as Terranigma? It seems like it plays too fast. Is there an easy fix for this?

Mr.Guy
April 11th, 2008, 03:34
Dont ask the same question from another thread, its annoying. Just wait until someone answers from the other thread.

SuperRandi123
April 11th, 2008, 03:43
Hm...you're smart. Well, I at least I know not to do that. As for me, I'll wait for answers from either thread.

slipknot1564
April 11th, 2008, 04:34
Will There be support for Game Genie or Action replay soon?
when new toolchains are released?

TetsuoKunio
April 11th, 2008, 07:26
No

vicious1988
April 11th, 2008, 10:05
I'll look through the code for the Game Genie codes over the next few days to see what my options are for that.

ringo20000
April 11th, 2008, 17:19
I am curious if anyone else has been having stability issues using the different emulators (snes, nes, and fce ultra)? Every so often when I load a game and then click the play button the wii locks up and I have to power off. I don't think it's a rom problem because when I reboot and try again it works fine. I seem to notice it happening more frequently when I switch emulators without powering off, which leads me to believe it's possibly a memory leak that isn't getting cleaned up.

SuperRandi123
April 11th, 2008, 20:23
Yeah I've also noticed another thing: Secret of Mana's music quality is soooooooo bad. I tried playing it and it sounded horrible.

misticknight
April 12th, 2008, 10:04
I am curious if anyone else has been having stability issues using the different emulators (snes, nes, and fce ultra)? Every so often when I load a game and then click the play button the wii locks up and I have to power off. I don't think it's a rom problem because when I reboot and try again it works fine. I seem to notice it happening more frequently when I switch emulators without powering off, which leads me to believe it's possibly a memory leak that isn't getting cleaned up.

yer i get that to alot, i'm guessing it's cause it's still in the early stages.

Tarsul
April 12th, 2008, 17:25
Why isnt this based upon the newest version of snes9xgx? 2.0.1b8

http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3918

It has fast forward function, acceptable sd card save over gecko or so and save ram state.

tehnoir
April 12th, 2008, 18:45
Why isnt this based upon the newest version of snes9xgx? 2.0.1b8

http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3918

It has fast forward function, acceptable sd card save over gecko or so and save ram state.

I believe there have been speed issues with versions after 1.43. Also, the developer of that project has retired, and I don't think anyone has officially stepped up to take it on yet.

Tytris
April 13th, 2008, 03:21
I cant really get any of the emulators to work on my Wii - Iam using a Coby 2gb Sd card w/ SD Elf Loader 4 and ive tried 3 different versions of 1.43 the only one that worked have way for me when you load it up it asks which slot B for Slot B or A for slot A when you press to search the SD for a rom it pauses for about 15 seconds and says Error Dev0-/snes9x/roms cannot be found i have my Snes9x file on the root w/ a rom folder that has a rom in it if i press load game i get the color test on 2.0 v6 and v8 it loads to a green screen that talks about the gc code being usable and at the bottom save DevKitPRO any suggestions ????

slipknot1564
April 13th, 2008, 03:27
I cant really get any of the emulators to work on my Wii - Iam using a Coby 2gb Sd card w/ SD Elf Loader 4 and ive tried 3 different versions of 1.43 the only one that worked have way for me when you load it up it asks which slot B for Slot B or A for slot A when you press to search the SD for a rom it pauses for about 15 seconds and says Error Dev0-/snes9x/roms cannot be found i have my Snes9x file on the root w/ a rom folder that has a rom in it if i press load game i get the color test on 2.0 v6 and v8 it loads to a green screen that talks about the gc code being usable and at the bottom save DevKitPRO any suggestions ????

do you have the version with front load support?

NegFactor
April 13th, 2008, 05:30

Concerning the version you had that worked but wouldn't load for you, you may have made the mistake I made the first time I tried to get it to work.

Instead of choosing to load from SD card, try choosing to load from FRONT. I tried SD card myself the first time and had the same issue you did. Then I went back and read the documentation Vicious provided. :P

Tytris
April 13th, 2008, 18:59
The version iam using i don't believe is a Vicious version the posted file is the only one i can get to use it has the mario kart sprite in the lower right that just spins around i dont remember seeing a front SD option but will look again

Tytris
April 13th, 2008, 19:01
yes i have all of that

Tytris
April 13th, 2008, 20:14
when the emulator loads i get the

which slot do you want to load roms froms

Slot B - Press B Slot A - Press A

---------------------------------------------------

Snes9x GX Configuration

Play Game
Reset Emulator
Color Test

Load New game
Load From DVD
Load From SDCARD
Return to previous

SRAM Manager
ROM Information
Configure Joypads
Emulator Options
Stop DVD motor
PSO/SD Reload
Reboot Wii
View Credits

This is a Snes9x GX 1.43 emulator and this is the only version i can actually get to do anything on my wii

tehnoir
April 13th, 2008, 20:30
when the emulator loads i get the

which slot do you want to load roms froms

Slot B - Press B Slot A - Press A

Snes9x GX Configuration

Play Game
Reset Emulator
Color Test

Load New game
Load From DVD
Load From SDCARD
Return to previous

SRAM Manager
ROM Information
Configure Joypads
Emulator Options
Stop DVD motor
PSO/SD Reload
Reboot Wii
View Credits

This is a Snes9x GX 1.43 emulator and this is the only version i can actually get to do anything on my wii

If you do not have a front SD option, then you're not using the front SD version, which means your ROMs must be placed on an SD card that you put into an SD gecko in the gamecube memory slots.

This would also mean that this is not the appropriate thread for such a problem.

Tytris
April 13th, 2008, 20:38
can you link me to a(n) sd version of th emu ?

h2923j42n2
April 13th, 2008, 22:38
can you link me to a(n) sd version of th emu ?

There's a link to two different versions on this thread...

Skaterben55
April 13th, 2008, 23:32
Ok it looks like someone has made a version with frontsd saving. Get it here. http://wiihack.hp.infoseek.co.jp/. Someone needs to test it out to see if it works OK.

wichoxp
April 13th, 2008, 23:33
Hey, guys!

It seems that some japanese guy released this emulator with "Front SD SAVE" feature:

Author's homepage:
http://wiihack.hp.infoseek.co.jp

Download link (Snes9x GX v5):
http://rapidshare.com/files/107267044/SNESGX010fv5.zip.html

I hope that vicious1998 will add this feature soon :o !

EDIT: TESTED! IT WORKS NICE :D !

EDIT 2: It saves your game progress in the "saves" folder in your front SD Card.

EDIT 3: this version is in english, so don't worry about japanese, hehe ;) !

Skaterben55
April 13th, 2008, 23:42
Hey, guys!

It seems that some japanese guy released this emulator with "Front SD SAVE" feature:

Author's homepage:
http://wiihack.hp.infoseek.co.jp

Download link (Snes9x GX v5):
http://rapidshare.com/files/107267044/SNESGX010fv5.zip.html

I hope that vicious1998 will add this feature soon :o !

EDIT: TESTED! IT WORKS NICE :D !

EDIT 2: It saves your game progress in the "saves" folder in your front SD Card.

EDIT 3: this version is in english, so don't worry about japanese, hehe ;) !
Does it have all the features vicious put in like menus and other stuff.

Mr.Guy
April 13th, 2008, 23:57
Do I need that new MAG loader?