PDA

View Full Version : SNES9X 1.43 GX Edition 0.1.1 - Snes Emulator for Nintendo Wii & Nintendo Gamecube

wraggster
April 18th, 2008, 00:33
Askot and DSBomb (http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6159) have worked on a new version of the Snes Emulator for Gamecube and Nintendo Wii:

Heres whats new:

Version 0.1.1 [20080417]

+[Askot]
- Added Save state in Zip mode for SD Gecko and Memory Card. Source
mainly taken from SnesGX 2.0b8 [beta]
- Fixed a sound glitch every time SDReload was used.

+[dsbomb]
- GC: fixed DVD support, can read ROMs and ZIPs.
- Removed certain menu options that are not usable in either Wii or GC mode
- Proper Wii reboot support
- Left/right on the dpad are usable on many menu items.
- WiiSD write support for SRAM, Save states.

The usual instructions apply. Make the "snes9x" directory on your SD card, then the "roms" and "saves" directories inside that. For the WiiSD, long file names are not supported, so it's best to keep them to the 8.3 format (eight characters, then a single period, and a three letter extension). I wanted write support more than long filename support at this time.

Download and Give Feedback & Compatability Reports Via Comments

DimensionT
April 18th, 2008, 00:45
WOOO!!! Save states!!! Now I don't have to worry about the far too stupidly places save points in Bahamut Lagoon.

vicious1988
April 18th, 2008, 01:30
Thank god. I really didn't want to work on save states. Guess I'll be working on netplay now, which is nice since I know what I'm doing when it comes to sockets.

You might be able to expect them to work with the PC versions.

wraggster
April 18th, 2008, 01:40
that would be awesome, i think the unnoficial versions can help the official ones out by working say on different elements, network play would be a killer feature :)

misticknight
April 18th, 2008, 02:23
not to be annoying or anything as i think i asked this before but didn't get an answer, but how realistic is it to expect Classic Controller support anytime soon? now that theres save states thats pretty much the only thing i want.

vicious1988
April 18th, 2008, 02:37
As soon as some code for it comes out it can be applied to the emulator.

misticknight
April 18th, 2008, 02:51
true but i mean will that be easy or hard to get, i dont really understand how all this works.

vicious1988
April 18th, 2008, 02:54
I'm sure you've seen where the grrlib guys have been getting parts of the wii remote to work. If I'm right, haven't seen the source but this is essentially how its done, they are looking at the memory of the Wii to retrieve the button and position codes for the wii remote. Then they insert it into their code and it should work.

misticknight
April 18th, 2008, 04:04
sounds nice then hopefully it wont be too long. either way youse are doing an awesome job. keep up the good work :)

retro fan
April 18th, 2008, 06:47
Quick question, as I am now getting a tad confused with all the rapid, great breakthroughs!

Does this have save state support to front Wii SD slot?

Alternatively, could I load the game from Wii front SD and then save states to my Nintendo branded memory card?

vicious1988
April 18th, 2008, 07:10
Yes, this has full front SD support.

Also, if anyone would happen to have a compiled version of the latest CVS libogc with Bushing's patch could you PM me a copy? I can't get it to patch and compile right for me, doesn't help that I'm using Win2k and some ghettorigged Linux ports either. This is mostly so I can work on the basic code that way I can have a stellar release ready for when the next stable chains comes out.

____anders____
April 18th, 2008, 11:32
that would be awesome, i think the unnoficial versions can help the official ones out by working say on different elements, network play would be a killer feature :)

i totally agree, netplay would be awesome, and thank god for savestates, i hate the saveplaces in seiken densetsu 3 (secret of mana 2), but the game rocks and so does this emulator!:D

retro fan
April 18th, 2008, 17:39
I can confirm this works amazingly well, wth full Wii front SD support and the Twilight hack. Save state support means I will now be able to finally beat the Donkey Kong Country games after 13 years of trying LOL.

My screen is still pulled to the right, with a slight black border on the left, but otherwise this is pretty much perfect...

Roll on Nes and Genesis perfection!

lainan
April 18th, 2008, 20:59
Well, for me it doesn't work at all :(. The emulator freezes whenever i try to start/reset a game.

DimensionT
April 18th, 2008, 21:53
Just a question...

What's the issue that's causing rom names to be stuck on 8 characters? Does it have something to do with the FAT format on the SD cards?

rustynathan
April 18th, 2008, 22:41
Just a question...

What's the issue that's causing rom names to be stuck on 8 characters? Does it have something to do with the FAT format on the SD cards?

Ya that pisses me off, the Genesis plus got the limit fine, vicious want to help? Could you update this, Rin and your NES FCE version so we can tell what game we are loading plzzzzzzzzzzz?

dsbomb
April 19th, 2008, 01:44
Ya that pisses me off, the Genesis plus got the limit fine, vicious want to help? Could you update this, Rin and your NES FCE version so we can tell what game we are loading plzzzzzzzzzzz?
Ya know what pisses me off? This incessant whining from cheap skate kids these days. Here's how it's been listening to thousands of posts across forums:

1) The TP hack is released. They load Gamecube formatted ELF/DOL files with it. They cry that (shock!) they do not work in Wii mode. "Make it work nowz!!"

2) An app like Snes9x is ported to the Wii, and the Gamecube controller now works. On the flip side, you lose DVD access and need an SD Gecko ($5-10, or homemade from spare parts). "OMFGZ! Make it use the Wii's SD slot! I have no credit cardz to order online!!" Back in my day, I rode my bicycle to the grocery store and forked over 50 cents for a money order and did plenty of mail ordering...

3) Wii SD support is released to the scene from svpe's sdelfloader. The cries begin immediately, "When will X app read from the WiiSD? It can't be too hard, sdelfloader did it!. When, hurry, when??!?"

4) Snes9x gets WiiSD read support. "Wonderful, but I can't save anything! I'm too cheap to buy a memory card. I'm too cheap to buy an SD Gecko still, even though I could have done the above money order hack and had one by now anyway! Make it save to the WiiSD too, plz plz plz huh, when huh, plz!"

5) Snes9x get's WiiSD write support. "WTF is up with 8.3 filenames? That's so before-I-was-even-born! I pirated 50,000 games and I can't tell what is what."

6) A very simple demo is released that uses a Wiimote (mtb/mtp). Now its all about the "When will X have wiimote support, it's been out for all of 10 minutes and I'm too lazy to go to WalMart and get a Gamecube controller!" Never mind there's been a few posts wanting Wiimote support added to Gamecube games as well for the same reason (cheap).

Here's a hint, just deal with it. GenPlus has long filename support, but it doesn't have the ability to write files. At least with this you can function pretty well, even being a complete cheap-ass. Then face the fact that you will not ever play those thousands of games, and just go with the few you will play, name them something appropriate and stop whining!

Oh, and you can always do the coding and submit a patch. I have no problems with that. But then, the "I'm don't know how to do C, and I'm unwilling to learn, but I'm good at whining so I'll stick with what I'm good at" just starts all over again...:rofl:

Of course, you could get off your lazy butts and mow a lawn or two to get the $50 or so to buy a GC controller, SD gecko, and memory card. But, I know that's asking an awful lot.

acg12xu
April 19th, 2008, 03:02
I agree. Quit whining and enjoy what you have already. If you don't like not knowing what you're playing then just name the rom in 8 characters or less! That's what I did. Guess what; I can tell what I'm loading!!! yay

rustynathan
April 19th, 2008, 03:12
Ya know what pisses me off? This incessant whining from cheap skate kids these days. Here's how it's been listening to thousands of posts across forums:

1) The TP hack is released. They load Gamecube formatted ELF/DOL files with it. They cry that (shock!) they do not work in Wii mode. "Make it work nowz!!"

2) An app like Snes9x is ported to the Wii, and the Gamecube controller now works. On the flip side, you lose DVD access and need an SD Gecko ($5-10, or homemade from spare parts). "OMFGZ! Make it use the Wii's SD slot! I have no credit cardz to order online!!" Back in my day, I rode my bicycle to the grocery store and forked over 50 cents for a money order and did plenty of mail ordering...

3) Wii SD support is released to the scene from svpe's sdelfloader. The cries begin immediately, "When will X app read from the WiiSD? It can't be too hard, sdelfloader did it!. When, hurry, when??!?"

4) Snes9x gets WiiSD read support. "Wonderful, but I can't save anything! I'm too cheap to buy a memory card. I'm too cheap to buy an SD Gecko still, even though I could have done the above money order hack and had one by now anyway! Make it save to the WiiSD too, plz plz plz huh, when huh, plz!"

5) Snes9x get's WiiSD write support. "WTF is up with 8.3 filenames? That's so before-I-was-even-born! I pirated 50,000 games and I can't tell what is what."

6) A very simple demo is released that uses a Wiimote (mtb/mtp). Now its all about the "When will X have wiimote support, it's been out for all of 10 minutes and I'm too lazy to go to WalMart and get a Gamecube controller!" Never mind there's been a few posts wanting Wiimote support added to Gamecube games as well for the same reason (cheap).

Here's a hint, just deal with it. GenPlus has long filename support, but it doesn't have the ability to write files. At least with this you can function pretty well, even being a complete cheap-ass. Then face the fact that you will not ever play those thousands of games, and just go with the few you will play, name them something appropriate and stop whining!

Oh, and you can always do the coding and submit a patch. I have no problems with that. But then, the "I'm don't know how to do C, and I'm unwilling to learn, but I'm good at whining so I'll stick with what I'm good at" just starts all over again...:rofl:

Of course, you could get off your lazy butts and mow a lawn or two to get the $50 or so to buy a GC controller, SD gecko, and memory card. But, I know that's asking an awful lot.

I kinnda agree but damn, I asked for one thing, and i'm to busy working on Quake to add new longer characeter code to this, or even learn how. If you want to tell me fine, I'll do it myself.

rustynathan
April 19th, 2008, 03:16
And what the hell is a money order hack?

dsbomb
April 19th, 2008, 03:37
And what the hell is a money order hack?

From #2,
"OMFGZ! Make it use the Wii's SD slot! I have no credit cardz to order online!!" Back in my day, I rode my bicycle to the grocery store and forked over 50 cents for a money order and did plenty of mail ordering...
Also, they forgot the most important part of my announcement:
There's no need to ask for Wiimote, Classic controller, Nunchuks, or any of the other fancy Wii stuff that has started to come out recently. That will come in time (by 12-31-2100, perhaps).

Finally, don't forget to have some fun.

vicious1988
April 19th, 2008, 04:40
Dsbomb, stern... stern but fair.

retro fan
April 19th, 2008, 10:37
What upsets me is that I don't know of a way to properly thank the emu authors - other than enjoying their work!

I'd happily donate cash which I'm sure would be used to buy software / hardware / accessories that these talented dudes would use towards dev costs to ensre the continuaton and proliferation of these projects....

jamie12331
April 29th, 2008, 03:59
um im pretty new to this and im confused so can anyone help me? ive been playing FF3 with a previous version of this emulator and it worked great and everything but then i saw this and thought that i would try it out. well, it boots fine and everything but when i try to load a game from the front sd, it just takes me to a black screen that says waiting for pad..does this have something to do with the directory that i have the roms in (root/snes9x/roms)? help would be greatly appreciated :]

Starscream
April 30th, 2008, 14:26
Lol, dsbomb, my sympathies. At some point earlier I wondered myself if the folks over at Tehskeen should have said "asking for X (Front SD-support, Wiimote etc)" = instant ban:D