PDA

View Full Version : MbShell A module based shell in C

blue2k
December 6th, 2005, 15:32
Hello,

For the past weeks I have been working on a new shell for the PSP written in C. Today is the day that I have released the first public build for others to see what I have been doing. At the moment this shell features:

- Module based
- 32 bit graphics with alphablending
- MP3 support
- PNG support
- Screenshot support
- Graphical framework

Here is a screenshot of it running and using the screenshot functionality:
http://home.student.utwente.nl/r.p.heuts/scrn.png

You can download it below

This is a first development build, functionality will be added soon, for example I'm working on a more decent mp3 player. It just plays one mp3 at the moment.

--Blue

wraggster
December 6th, 2005, 20:45
looks fantastic:)

you can upload to the forums to save your bandwidth you know, just about to post the great news.

Thanks for releasing here :)

blue2k
December 6th, 2005, 22:12
looks fantastic:)

you can upload to the forums to save your bandwidth you know, just about to post the great news.

Thanks for releasing here :)

Thanks for posting it as news. Always nice to have people noticing what I'm doing :) It is currently being hosted at my university. Until they start complaining I'll leave it like this.

I'm currently working on a more usefull mp3 function, and someone brought up a nice idea to go with that mp3 function. I will reveal it when it's done. I'll try and post new releases when it seems usefull. I'm always open for suggestions.

fooxmdq
December 6th, 2005, 22:54
please convert for me this OS for firmware 1.5. sorry but I do not speak very much English :(

blue2k
December 6th, 2005, 23:46
please convert for me this OS for firmware 1.5. sorry but I do not speak very much English :(

Some friendly guy already did: http://lunaticpandora.250free.com/MbShell1.5.zip

It's not mine though, and i haven't tested it, but it should just be the 1.5 version of my app.

Cap'n 1time
December 6th, 2005, 23:57
Sexy! do you have plans to continue development?

HeX
December 7th, 2005, 00:11
Does this work with 2.0?

Illuga
December 7th, 2005, 00:56
Very nice work, keep adding and you could make a great PSP OS, also glad to see that the GUI is very easy to modify could be getting bored enough sometime soon to get my hands dirty and make some themes.

Good luck.

Cakebox
December 7th, 2005, 04:18
Wow that's really nice blue2k. I've always wonder how people actually do the programs for the console systems. I just started reading C++ myself and can do somewhat a simple "Hello World!" Program and do some mathematics countings for it. And that's about that all, since I've only studied it for a couple of days :P.

I'd like to see further updates and I'll test this one. Thanks for it :). A cool system is to have some icons as in cube XD.

blue2k
December 7th, 2005, 11:15
Yes, I'm still developing. But as I am in my final year of my masters degree time is somewhat limited sometimes. But I'll try and spend most of my free time on it :)

I'm having a bit of a wrestle with the png loading support, so a good guess is that in the next release the theme will still be in targa (tga) format. But if you do want to chage the theme keep the png's somewhere, my aim is to use png's later on.

pspfr33k
December 7th, 2005, 14:20
I installed it on my PSP 1.5 (the 1.5 conversion), but it doesn't play an mp3. I called it test.mp3, put it in MbShell/mp3/ and so on..... The app launches, but I don't know what went wrong. Hope you could help :D
Looking forward to the next (also 1.5?) release!

jefdizon
December 7th, 2005, 16:23
Looks promising, i installed it on my 1.5 and the mp3 is working fine :) I did notice that whenever i terminate the program, there's two lines of code appearing at the bottom of the screen. Is this ok?

And if you're looking for interface and button designs, let me know, since i design GUIs for a living. I'll make you a GUI (or more) for free :)

thatboialex
December 7th, 2005, 17:39
Does this work with 2.0?

same question

blue2k
December 7th, 2005, 18:20
Yeah, I forgot to tell that there is a limit on the mp3 size at the moment. You can only use mp3 files smaller than 4 mb. My latest build supports mp3 files as large as 10 mb. It will also read any mp3 file in the mp3 directory and allows you to stop/pause/resume it. I'm still working on it so you can play multiple files, I hope to release an update today or tomorrow.

The weird thing when you exit the game is something in the SDK I think, it does no harm, I'll try and disable it, though its a minor 'bug' :)

I heard it does not work on 2.0, that might be because I'm using kernel-mode. Within firmware 2.0 it is not allowed to use kernel-mode (or better.. impossible at the moment..). It might be possible to release a 2.0 version, though it will lack features in the future (pbp/elf loading for example).

Thanks for the offer btw for the gui design, as I'm more of a programmer my designs might not look as good :) I think i will need a designer later on, you can always start by altering the supplied tga files in the resources/image dir. It should allow easy 'modding'.

RedKing14CA
December 9th, 2005, 05:40
Awsome... I REALLY hope you continue this, and maybe get some help to turn it into something AWSOME!!!

w00table
December 21st, 2005, 03:52
mouse control bug T__T

when i move the cursor to the right, it keeps going all the way to the edge of the screen.... it's not my joystick either >_>

rather annoying little bugger. but other than that, this shell looks AWSOME. if it does go into further development, i hope it reaches the final stages.

btw: this one repeating mp3 is pretty cool.... i can listen all day to the benny hill theme now! ^____^