PDA

View Full Version : What's The Most Reliable Game Hardware Ever?

wraggster
November 15th, 2008, 21:32
So let's talk. Let's TELL US DAMMIT. Here's how it works: We ask a question, you answer it. Simple and no strings attached! This isn't some marketing survey or whatever. It's an emotional investment in you. Yes, we're interested in knowing you, reader person. You probably know ****tons about us — more than you even want to, we're sure. But, hey, we'd like to know about you. That way you won't be some faceless blob — and we might feel a tinge of guilt when we ban your ass. Or not, because really we're incapable of human emotion. Oh ho ho.

Question: What's the most reliable gaming hardware you've ever owned? (Note: Don't tell us your *least* reliable one — we'll do that in a future TUD.)

http://kotaku.com/5088106/whats-the-most-reliable-game-hardware-ever

WhizzBang
November 15th, 2008, 21:52
Gameboy Color for me. Everything I have owned before that has had some problem but my GBC still works perfectly.

Capn Makeveli
November 15th, 2008, 22:10
It would have to be the Nes. Took many beating with frustration and long hours of gameplay. On that line, pretty much all nintendo consoles that I have. They have survived falls even the gamecube while playing a game and never quit. All good in my opinion.

JDvorak
November 15th, 2008, 23:20
Mine would have to be my Intellivision. It still works like a charm from the early 80's. I have 60+ cartridges most of them with their overlays and boxes, just missing a lot of instruction manuals. I have the speech synthesizer add-on as well. It still talks away to this day (remember B-52 Bomber and others?). A great console system, better than the Atari 2600 in my opinion and a lot of fun. Love playing pitfall and other arcade games such as Mr. Do and Tron Solar Sailer and Deadly Discs. Stampede by Activision is a lot better than the sad 2600 version. Oh can't forget the Smurfs, Cabbage Patch Kids, and Burger Time, they all ROCK!!!

Gene
November 15th, 2008, 23:23
Mine is probably the sega genesis. that thing took more damage than knights of the round, from ff7 can deal.

mike_jmg
November 15th, 2008, 23:31
I don't own one but I think the Gamecube is the most reliable

Cause I think it was made for that purpose, to endure any kind of beat up a child could do. It even has a handle

NOCHUCK
November 16th, 2008, 00:21
CD-i, I've played the hell outta that thing and I've never even had to clean the eye.

P.S. It's almost impossible to find CD-i games but they have a exclusive zelda, link and mario game(don't worry your not missing much, they pretty much suck)

gutbub
November 16th, 2008, 00:43
Gameboy. Regular, original Gameboy. I don't recall it ever freezing on me. Also, we had three to begin with, and two still function to this day. The other one had the unfortunate fate of sitting in the sun for too long.

DCergo
November 16th, 2008, 00:43
My original Atari 2600 still works to this day. As it's my oldest console still functioning, it will get my vote.

Veskgar
November 16th, 2008, 01:03
For older console I'd say Super Nintendo.

For newer I'd say the DS Lite has proved pretty darn rugged, reliable, and can take a beating.

stonedray
November 16th, 2008, 01:16
nintendo 64, that thing has been thrown into a swimming pool and had a coca-cola spilt on it and it still works perfectly to this day... only needed to let it dry out after the pool incident and had to take it apart and clean all the sticky coke out of it and it worked like a charm, its damn well-made imo

ojdon
November 16th, 2008, 01:19
My Megadrive still works 17 years since we got it. Gamecube when I had it was pretty Reliable too.

kojiro7
November 16th, 2008, 01:44
Almost all cartridge systems are reliable.
And I have an Amiga 1200 fully working

rancor01
November 16th, 2008, 02:17
Original Japanese Famicom is damn near armor plated. It or the N64 gets my vote. Pretty much anything without moving parts (AKA a CD drive, NES cartridge port) is going to last forever...

osgeld
November 16th, 2008, 02:23
genesis or the original "cream n spinach" gameboy

Spanishpeacock
November 16th, 2008, 02:57
The sega genesis has to be number 1 on my list. Nes still works too, but Dune, Sonic 3, and a few others should have burnt that thing out years ago. That controller was pretty reliable too if that counts for anything. I've had it stepped on and pulled off of tables and that thing still works. (The NES lost because the power pack has a short in it, and you have to try 20 times to get the game to load)

Broonale
November 16th, 2008, 03:31

kojiro7
November 16th, 2008, 03:39
I dont think Megadrive(Genesis) gamepads are much reliable,neither NES are.SNES had the most reliable gamepad

jamotto
November 16th, 2008, 04:19
PSP 1000 has been quite rugged for me, after dropping a dozen times at least.

osgeld
November 16th, 2008, 04:46
I dont think Megadrive(Genesis) gamepads are much reliable,neither NES are.SNES had the most reliable gamepad

the snes has no strain control aside from a brittle plastic post inside, and copper painted nylon core wires, a child can unwillingly yank the cord right out of the controller with minimal effort

also that stupid eject lever, who didnt break that within the first few months

and the considerable air space inside the unit with little to no reinforcing, its not uncommon to see cracked cases

the NES suffers simmilar problems, compounded with the hinged contact mechanism and the heat the thing could biuld up over long, long, long amounts of time

they are mediocre built systems, that the sheer numbers of units outweigh any problems they might have

goshogun1
November 16th, 2008, 04:56
The good old snes from 91' works like a charm, so I vote that.
My DS is good so far, lets see about 10 years down the line...

irishwhip
November 16th, 2008, 05:50
I have an amstrad cpc464 circa 1984.
It has survived many childhood temper tantrums, and various fizzy liquid spillages.

Aryn
November 16th, 2008, 06:23
For older consoles I would say my Dreamcast has outlasted other consoles. I do not know how it compares with toughness but it still offers some entertainment value when I am bored and I am yet to trade it in. The system has had lasting appeal for years after it was discontinued. It looked like it took a major beating before I managed to get it and then it did take a bit of abuse yet still works.

For newer portable systems I would have to say the PSP 1000 is the most reliable for 3 reasons:
1. My PSP 1000 took a few severe beatings before it had to be replaced. And I am talking something (almost) as severe as the stuff on those "smash my console" videos. Sure, the front plate scratches easily, but I managed to get around that by purchasing a front plate on which the plastic for the screen area can be removed. The actual LCD screen seems much more resistant to scratches (or at least they do not show up at all), and one problem I had with portable systems in the past was dust getting in between the LCD screen and the front plate/cover, which is an annoyance I no longer have to deal with. I also tried a PSP 2000 but within a month of rough use it needed to be replaced.
2. Easy parts replacement. I was able to replace all broken parts in my PSP system using the parts in the system I had that broke. I can also order parts online when needed. The DS systems, on the other hand...I found disassembling and reassembling a DS and DS Lite very difficult to do.
3. Full compatibility/entertainment value. The PSP 1000's only drawback (at least after it is hacked) is lack of skype support. Not a big deal since I rarely can access a wifi hotspot away from home and nobody I know uses skype. On the other hand, I can play more games and programs for free (without pirating) than on any other system, which means I will likely be using it for a few more years.
There is one downside, however, the PSP 1000 does require some maintenance once in awhile. But most maintenance can be done for less than the cost of a new game (if it costs anything at all).

Xavier
November 16th, 2008, 09:37
Sega Genesis hands down.
Spilled multiple drinks in it (didnt clean) and it preformed fine for another decade before the off/on got stuck in off. + trillions of hours of use, ok many, many hours of use.

paul3100
November 16th, 2008, 09:42
Hmm difficult one

I would go zx spectrum then megadrive/genesis

I collect a lot of systems old and new and found the least reliable to be playstation 1 and nes

paul

____anders____
November 16th, 2008, 13:37
My original Atari 2600 still works to this day. As it's my oldest console still functioning, it will get my vote.

yea, atari 2600 gets my vote too :D
i have 8 games and 2 joysticks.
everything works perfectly :)

the best thing is that i bought it for 10$ :p

hollowuk
November 16th, 2008, 14:25
It's got to be the original gameboy, those little suckers could take anything. Anything made by Nintendo you can be pretty sure is going to last.

Consoles dont seem to break on me for some reason, maybe its because they are like my children, they are in a similar condition to my actual children.:)

mistac
November 16th, 2008, 15:39

Another vote for the Atari 2600. I still have mine, it's taken a beating over the years but it still powers up and plays.

GibsonSGKing
November 16th, 2008, 16:27
the NES, its got less electronic parts then a toaster. the only way it can break is if you physically drop it off of a roof. but then it might still work (although the case might need some duct tape :P )

havoc_012
November 16th, 2008, 19:10
Anything made out of the world's strongest material, Nintendium.

Eviltaco64
November 16th, 2008, 19:35
I'd say the Genesis or the SNES.
As for this current generation, the DS Original, Wii, or PS3.

apex05
November 17th, 2008, 02:31
It has to be the good old NES... I've had it for over 20 years and i dug it out the other year to play and it smelled a bit funny, so i took it apart and found it half filled with mouldy breadcrumbs, jam and butter, I'm not going to go into the story of how that repeatedly happened when i was a kid, But the thing still fires up perfectly today... But if you want to measure this on strength i'll pit my XBOX original against any console in a game of console conkers anyday

darkriku2000
November 17th, 2008, 04:44
My gameboy pocket is still working like a charm, would possibly be my nes, but I stuffed it full of cookies and matches when I was 3 so I can't say

KeenCommander
November 17th, 2008, 18:18
2600 comes out on top for me, simply for still working after being stored in a closet in the furnace room for 20+ years.

SEGA Genesis 3 has been reliable too, N64 is really reliable hardware - but the controllers get demolished way too easy.

My DS Phat has taken a beating, it's been dropped many times, gotten dropped on a concrete ramp and slid down it, etc. - but other than being having a couple of dents it still works perfectly.

mooseknuckle2000
November 18th, 2008, 00:31
Anybody voting for the NES as the most reliable console has to be half retarded. Granted the things do work forever, but the question was of reliablility. The NES wasn't reliable from day one. Does nobody remember gettin' ready to whoop Mike Tyson's ass and BAM!!! your screen goes all crazy and you curse, kick your puppy, eventually calm down and start blowing in your cartridge like you're playing the pan flute! No no, me thinks the proper vote goes to the rock that is the original gameboy...

Eviltaco64
November 18th, 2008, 23:21
My only problem with the NES is that after constant play, the connector pins bent, making it harder to play games.

Otherwise, it's a very solid console.

pibs
November 19th, 2008, 05:35
SEEEEEEEGAAAAAAA! genesis :) greatest console ever!