PDA

View Full Version : Do Gamers Really Want Gift Cards?

wraggster
December 24th, 2008, 22:28
Gamers are sure to find all kinds of gaming goods under the tree this holiday season. But some, however, may only find a bunch of plastic gift cards.

I stumbled across this article the other day about how gift cards can be a thoughtful and acceptable and not just "last minute gift" ideas. This applied specifically to gamers, as the writer claims it can be difficult to shop for someone who wants video games.

"Gamers can be one of the toughest groups of people to buy for; you may not know exactly what types of games a person likes, and if you do know that you might not know what games they already own. It makes it tough to give. If you've been looking for just the perfect gift for a special gamer its time to stop putting it off and just buy a gift card."

As Bill Lumbergh would say, "I'm gonna have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you there."

http://kotaku.com/5117612/do-gamers-really-want-gift-cards

dejkirkby
December 24th, 2008, 23:35
Just give cash!

rancor01
December 25th, 2008, 03:40
People that criticise gifts amaze me.. You are getting something for free!!

Anyone that criticises a gift from me will have the gift taken back, and automatically register for a free punch in the nose.

darkriku2000
December 25th, 2008, 05:00
I like gift cards, my aunt gave each me and my brother a $50 gift card to best buy as a gift once, it was perfect, I gave mine to my brother in exchange for his old laptop which gave him $100 off a new laptop (and on tax free weekend no less)

also, I totally agree with the user above, free stuff is always good (unless it's herpies)

osgeld
December 25th, 2008, 07:03
i like gift cards

also, I totally agree with the user above, free stuff is always good (unless it's herpies)

lol

BrooksyX
December 25th, 2008, 08:21
hey you can't beat free. A gift is a gift.

krakenx
December 25th, 2008, 16:18
I wouldn't criticize a gift card to the person giving it, but I will criticize society for buying into the bullshit.

With a gift card, you are taking a universal form of currency (cash) and turning it into a currency that is only valid at one place and is subject to expirations and other restrictions as well as invalid if the store goes out of business. In most cases you are even swapping currency at a 1:1 ratio, and somehow this is considered "thoughtful".

For the past 10 years or so my aunt has bought me a $50 Borders gift card. Borders has nothing even remotely useful and they are located 45 minutes away. Early on I bought movies for double their MSRP, but lately I have been selling the cards for $25-$35. I never told my aunt, but this is exact proof that gift cards are bullshit.

Iceman^2
December 25th, 2008, 19:56
Although some people view cash as tacky, I believe it's way better. I don't usually buy games new at stores and if I do it is because that's the only way I can get it. Around where I live, there are flea markets and thrift stores that sell all kinds of games new and old. I received one gift card today from my aunt, but that was okay because I have a big ticket item to buy. The bottom line is that cash is better 99% of the time.

Shrygue
December 25th, 2008, 22:22
I'll stick with cash please. At least with that you've got more choice on what you want to do with it than using gift cards, plus you'll be able to get change from it after paying for something.

theotherfreakyguy
December 25th, 2008, 23:18
I prefer cash or a check over a gift card. Gift cards limit me to one place, and often expire too. Cash is just easier.

mcdougall57
December 26th, 2008, 01:28
If it's somewhere like HMV im ok with it, i'm just glad I didn't get any zavvi vouchers.

hdmyg85
December 26th, 2008, 05:52
This clock projects the time, date, or temp on the wall or ceiling http://www.liangdianup.com/clocks_1.htm some people call
it a ceiling clock but I call it a digital projection clock. I got the black one because at the time that was the only color
they had. But now they have them in black and also in white.

lightningdude
December 26th, 2008, 06:07
They make gift cards that go for numerous stores. For example, my grandmother used to buy me Visa Prepaid cards with $50 on 'em. You can use it anywhere you can use a Visa card.

As far as the article is concerned, parents (or other relatives/friends) don't know what to get for their beloved gamers. So, instead of buying a game that they're afraid the person won't like, they get them a gift card instead. That way, they can buy what they actually want.

I agree with the report because I personally saw a bunch of parents at a local game store taking advantage of a sale in which they snagged a bunch of cheap games (dual meaning). I felt sorry for the kids that were getting them.

Free stuff or not, if you're not gonna play it, it might as well not have been received at all.

gumgod
December 27th, 2008, 05:15
Gift cards can be useless if the store doesn't sell anything you want. The nice thing about games though is that if you keep them wrapped up you can just take them back to the store... This happened to me a couple years ago... I did this - I got Tak the great something or another lame game for Christmas... and took it to Walmart got $25 which I then put into Castlevania Portrait of Ruin. A much better title and granted I did have to go out of my way a little I still felt like I got something from my relative that was thoughtful. I would have probably just kept a Wal-Mart gift card until I was broke and needed groceries or something... but trading in another game didn't bother me at all.

b_simpson1999
December 27th, 2008, 21:08
well i got argos vouchers tring to sell them in argos itself so funny or gave them to other ppl as a present that was awhile bk but lucky u can get high street vouches here (not like i got any) but most computer or other shops accept them so if i ever get any i can use them