PDA

View Full Version : Mmmmm Portable Pong Emulated Goodness

PSmonkey
February 26th, 2006, 02:58
Mmmmm *drool*

Well after some back and forth I figured a few things out. For some reason I dont need to byteswap the pif ram where pc emulators do. So with this and a few corrections I got input working. :D Even better is the fixing of SI transfer now keeps a few homebrew games from crashing.

So here are some screenshots of Pong by omar, Liner (I dont understand the point of this game), Manic Minor & MM hiden levels (oddly enough its very dark), & the wonderful n64 logo returns from waverace (do note that no comercial games run, this just this logo shows up since it draws to the framebuffer with no use of the rsp/rdp).

Anyways enjoy. More updates to come when more progress is made. :cool:

Screens via the comments

Wally
February 26th, 2006, 04:48
Good Stuff!

Well we are back to square one!

Now its time for RSP :D

Oh BTW PSmonkey Liner would be a game which you have to avoid the other lines.

There are games simular to this such as a minigame on fusion frenzy on Xbox etc.

As soon as this project fires up and works on 2.60 im upgrading

PSmonkey
February 26th, 2006, 06:15
Good Stuff!

Well we are back to square one!

Now its time for RSP :D

Oh BTW PSmonkey Liner would be a game which you have to avoid the other lines.

There are games simular to this such as a minigame on fusion frenzy on Xbox etc.

As soon as this project fires up and works on 2.60 im upgrading

Time for rsp, No! I still have many issues in demos to fix.

I would agree with your opinion on liners but it seems like you get 1 point for every line that crashes into a wall or another line. So is it who has the least number is the winner?

--edit--
I dont agree with an upgrade to 2.6 yet still. I dont think 2.0+ eboot loader can handle demos that use the ME as another processor which I definaly will be doing down the line somewhere.

Kaiser
February 26th, 2006, 06:29
Nice PSMonkey :)

I wonder why the third game is so dark, Any clue of the reason behind it?

PSmonkey
February 26th, 2006, 06:48
Wow pong just got even better. While this did not speed up other demos but i put in more speed hacks for jump instructions (ie, if the jump is to the current address, it forces a vsync since pretty much the n64 is waiting on a vsync to occure). Anways pong does 30fps now. *insert shocked face*

kaiser,
Its not an emu issue i believe. Its dark in pretty much all n64 emus.

Kaiser
February 26th, 2006, 06:53
30 fps?! Thats awesome stuff.

kaiser,
Its not an emu issue i believe. Its dark in pretty much all n64 emus.

Oh I see.

ZFB8
February 26th, 2006, 07:29
Nice, I just wish that one day they'll have a downgrader for 2.6. I have a 2.6 (upgraded from 1.52 when I "didn't care about homebrew" ¬_¬), and if I can downgrade, then I can't wait for the day when I can play Mario 64 on my PSP. I wish Ocarina of Time was possible, but with that 16 mb limit on the ROMs, things don't look too bright on that aspect V.V. Oh well, I'll be happy with whatever you make =P

apexad
February 26th, 2006, 10:19
having seen pc emulators evolve, I do know that Mortal Kombat Trilogy can be emulated without a whole lot of rsp/rdp and for sure without HLE. Nemu64 accomplished this in it's early days. Granted speed will be an issue, but this emulator has already impressed me greatly.

Keep Going PSMonkey. Great work so far!

Narles
February 26th, 2006, 14:17
Thanks for keeping us in tuned to your progress on the emulator and please keep up the good work! It's coming together so well.

Mariopop87
February 26th, 2006, 14:46
will this work on the GTA eloader?(thats what its called right?)

DPyro
February 26th, 2006, 15:17
will this work on the GTA eloader?(thats what its called right?)

I think he already answered that question.

Exab
February 26th, 2006, 17:24
First of all, good job on the emu, I'm sure everyone will be happy if it gets to a good point, not because we can all play N64 roms, but because an N64 runs on the PSP :)

Second, I think Liner is a Tron game, you have to create a wall in front of the other liners so that they crash into your wall. That's the whole point, make others crash into you...

TheEmulatorGuy
February 26th, 2006, 18:24
30 fps... button input... Pong... N64... *explodes*

PSmonkey
February 26th, 2006, 20:41
hey guys, sorry to spring this on you all but i have a serious quesiton.

After I release everything on the 9th, would people be willing to make donations twards the project? The reason I ask is because my gf is getting a little angry i am not spending my time to earn more money but I find it wasteful to do jobs that only get me like $8-$20 for some stupid survey or $8-$10 an hour. I already work my ass off on a full time job. Anyways I want to keep doing this stuff but is felt to be a waste of time to her since it earns no extra money. So would people be interested in donating a little here and there for the hard work? My intent on this project was never for profit and part of all donated goes to the PJ64 team because their help is unvaluable.

chickenclaws
February 26th, 2006, 22:25
i would work for you if it could speed things up (just kidding about speed)
if i was old enough to use pay pal i would send some of my dads money LOL
where do we go do donate

chrisfile
February 26th, 2006, 22:35
I would definatley donate to help out with your time developing the M64 emulator. I think that you are a really cool guy for donating all your time developing hombrew games for us already. I think it would only be fair that we all chip in to help you out since you are devoting alot of your time to makeing this great M64 emulator. Just tell us how or where to donate and how much you think each of us should donate. I personally will donate 20 dollars to get things started. Just show us how and where. Thanks again for all your time in developing this for us.

DPyro
February 26th, 2006, 22:55
Are you gonna use Paypal, or how does that work? :confused:

CoderX
February 26th, 2006, 22:57
Just relize that some one will steal it.

Just look at mph's demo

PSmonkey
February 27th, 2006, 03:37
It will be via paypal. Anyways we will discuss more of that after the 9th. Sorry to ask but its the best way to get my gf to let me code more with less complaints.

CoderX,
People will steal regardless but Monkey64 will always be free anyways. Also monkey 64 would not be where it is today with out other open source n64 emus like Pj64 & mupen.

DPyro
February 27th, 2006, 04:43
No prob! Let's get that monkey off your back!!! :D

PSmonkey
February 27th, 2006, 04:50
Here are a few more shots for fun.

1) Dextrose
2) Me kicking the pc ass at pong with a lovely ~30fps

DPyro
February 27th, 2006, 05:38
Are you sure thats all of em?? :rolleyes:

PSmonkey
February 27th, 2006, 14:19
Are you sure thats all of em?? :rolleyes:

Nope just 2 I pulled out of my pet monkey's ass last night. :D

DPyro
February 27th, 2006, 16:54
:eek: :D

PSmonkey
February 27th, 2006, 18:23
Here is more out of my pet monkey's ass.

I put some extra code in for correcting the display resolution. It's not the worlds best pixel scale but it gets the job done (so now 640x480 disp demos display correctly). Sadly a few demo's seem odd. Like DKong which runs in a small section of the full window (which makes things imposible to read or see) and "2 blokes & an armchair" which seems to want 640x240 res not 640x480 (not sure how to pull out the vert res yet).

Anyways here is two new screenshots. The first is DKong (looks to be a dk arcade emu for n64), the second is HiRez Cfb demo.

Sumo X
February 27th, 2006, 18:42
Wow...I've been gone for about a week and I come back to great news. Great work PSmonkey.

vettacossx
February 27th, 2006, 22:17
wow who knew....MONKEYS MOVE IN BOTH LEAPS AND BOUNDS A GR8 GIFT IN LIGHT OF SPRING THANX keep up the GREAT work cant wait for mario !!!!!!

AntJ
February 27th, 2006, 22:58
wow man, keep up the great work :O

grin.ch
February 27th, 2006, 23:03
PSMonkey, do you think you will ever be able to get James bond working for M64? that would be sick! Play a little four player shoot-out via wifi! don't know if that would be possible, but I would love to play story mode...

PSP3D
February 27th, 2006, 23:43
Looking good. What's your PayPal? : P

porche_masi
February 27th, 2006, 23:44
Hey Monkey great job but i got 1 question ... does your emu use kernal yet??
Cuz I was hoping it wouldnt so it can be played on 2.01+ usin GTA exploit and the Brown Ale ELoader

DPyro
February 27th, 2006, 23:58
I think it will end up being 1.00 and 1.50 firmware only. He'll need to make use of the RSP for 3D which is pretty much what all commercial ROMs use.

CoderX
February 28th, 2006, 00:41
It will be via paypal. Anyways we will discuss more of that after the 9th. Sorry to ask but its the best way to get my gf to let me code more with less complaints.

CoderX,
People will steal regardless but Monkey64 will always be free anyways. Also monkey 64 would not be where it is today with out other open source n64 emus like Pj64 & mupen.

I always thought Homebrew should be free
But you realy are putting alot of time in to this

So its up to you, I say paypal for 2weeks then a public release.
Its going to be hard to hold it for more then 2 weeks any way

Quake3000
February 28th, 2006, 00:44
darn i hope somone someday will port a n64 emu to ps2! anyway greate Job!

PSmonkey
February 28th, 2006, 01:23
I always thought Homebrew should be free
But you realy are putting alot of time in to this

So its up to you, I say paypal for 2weeks then a public release.
Its going to be hard to hold it for more then 2 weeks any way

Sorry I dont get your second sentance.

Homebrew should always be free. Donations are just that donating if you feel its worth it. :) Anyways like I said i dont care for profit, what comes in is split up with parts going to pj64, parts going to my gf and the rest i am unsure (maybe accumulate and donate back into the scene).

KingAndrew
February 28th, 2006, 02:16
Awesome! Conkers on psp!

Megamanx551
February 28th, 2006, 02:24
W00t. n64 on psp. I'm looking forward to it!
Keep up da good work! xDD

middlemaniac
February 28th, 2006, 02:30
Well, can you please tell fanjita that you are making an N64 emu for psp if he dosn't know already, so that he could start making a new Eboot loader for firmware 2.0 to make the emulator work. By the time he's finished and releases it you might be releasing the emulator. Just an Idea.

DPyro
February 28th, 2006, 02:34
:rolleyes: I guess people don't seem to realise that your probably gonna need 1.00 or 1.50 firmware in order to run this app.

middlemaniac
February 28th, 2006, 02:40
Actually PSmonkey PM me and said Quote "RSP is Reality Signal Processor. RDP is Reality Display Processor. The name Reality comes from the fact the n64 proto type name was Reality.

Anyways I am going to survey all options but its posible the only way to play the emu with solid speeds will be with a 1.5 unit but I think in good time fanjita will get his eboot loader to suport taking controll of the ME (Multimedia Engine).

At the current time I probably will not touch ME for first release but I might try to in the near future pass off the rsp emulation (since its a seperate cpu core) to the ME so i can tap its power (ME is another 333Mhz mips processor)."

middlemaniac
February 28th, 2006, 02:46
So this N64 emulator could work with fanjita's 2.0 eboot loader. He just needs to make it support ME. By the way, I had a dream the other night that I was playing Mario Kart on my PSP last night! It was awesome till I woke up. : (

CoderX
February 28th, 2006, 03:49
So this N64 emulator could work with fanjita's 2.0 eboot loader. He just needs to make it support ME. By the way, I had a dream the other night that I was playing Mario Kart on my PSP last night! It was awesome till I woke up. : (

Dude This thing is going to milk all the resorces out of the psp
It will run sickninly slow on 2.0--->2.6, you wont have the resorces

Expect battery life to be more painful then gta running at 333mh

that and monkey is being very concertive on the frame skip

30fps is not bad, the pc emu runs at 60fps

Get a 2200mAp Batery its only $40 at bestbuy, strangly cheaper then most place, not normal for bestbuy :confused:

PSmonkey
February 28th, 2006, 04:00
Just two more to the fire. Zilmar pointed out I should check into the HalfLine return for VI register to fix Absolute crap. Wonderfuly it fixed both absolute crap games. :D Before they would run but hang early on but now both continue on just fine.

LHorse007
March 1st, 2006, 02:13
I'll donate when you ask for it

calebg
March 1st, 2006, 02:27
R U pretty close to start rsp emulation

pkmaximum
March 1st, 2006, 04:41
:rolleyes: I guess people don't seem to realise that your probably gonna need 1.00 or 1.50 firmware in order to run this app.

I agree, and a question if you have 2.0 firmware why the hell don't you just downgrade to 1.5 honestly 1.5 firm ware is better. And if its 2.0 games you want to play screw that. What would you rather play n64 or the sony games that cost $40-50 apiece.

pkmaximum
March 1st, 2006, 04:43
Dude This thing is going to milk all the resorces out of the psp
It will run sickninly slow on 2.0--->2.6, you wont have the resorces

Expect battery life to be more painful then gta running at 333mh

that and monkey is being very concertive on the frame skip

30fps is not bad, the pc emu runs at 60fps

Get a 2200mAp Batery its only $40 at bestbuy, strangly cheaper then most place, not normal for bestbuy :confused:

Like you said 30fps how is it really going to be enjoyable to play a game at 30 frames per second compared to 60. Im not trying to be negative im just trying to get solid facts. Cause psmonkey i hope has some speed tricks up his sleeve for that one.

DPyro
March 1st, 2006, 04:51
30FPS is playable, 5FPS isnt ;)

PSmonkey
March 1st, 2006, 05:59
i'm far from playable speeds (except pong).

People need to realise that 2.0 is not slower. It's just that eboot loader does not suport certain things I want to use in the future of Monkey64. The first build will be 2.0 compatible (atleast it should be). Future builds I want the rsp core running in LLE style on the ME core. This will allow for a bit more accurate emulation and etc. I really cant employ HLE on the ME because I have no access to kernal functions/libs from the ME (setup wise, coders are not supost to use the ME as a general purpose cpu, its ment for handling multimedia style routines/libs).

FYI ME = Media Engine.

PSmonkey
March 1st, 2006, 19:55
God i need sleep. coffee not even helping. I was up till 3:30am last night and up at 8:30 today for work.

You all have no idea how much I love this project and love working on it. Will all just have to wait till the 9th to see why.

crazyjohn
March 1st, 2006, 21:50
Oh great now youve set a date for a surprise and we're going to die from anticipation. You rock PSMonkey. Im on 1.5 so its all good. And who says 30 fps is bad???? DVDs run at 30fps. Are they not watchable?

PS Do you know if the 2d 64 games will run before rsp?

middlemaniac
March 1st, 2006, 22:01
PSmonkey, so all fanjita has to fix with his eboot 2.0 loader is make ME compatible with it? Is this right, cause i really don't want to downgrade but REALLY want an N64 emulator on the PSP.!

DPyro
March 1st, 2006, 22:05
Is it really that bad to downgrade to 1.50? As long as you don't have 2.01+ you should be set. :)

Electrifying
March 1st, 2006, 22:19
Yeah you are right, but actually I use the Internet browser and AVC a lot. So I'd rather keep 2.0. And the ME is accesible on 2.0+ but the E-loader isn't configured to use it, it is stated in this post by the great PSmonkey himself:

i'm far from playable speeds (except pong).

People need to realise that 2.0 is not slower. It's just that eboot loader does not suport certain things I want to use in the future of Monkey64. The first build will be 2.0 compatible (atleast it should be). Future builds I want the rsp core running in LLE style on the ME core. This will allow for a bit more accurate emulation and etc. I really cant employ HLE on the ME because I have no access to kernal functions/libs from the ME (setup wise, coders are not supost to use the ME as a general purpose cpu, its ment for handling multimedia style routines/libs).

FYI ME = Media Engine.

knight123
March 1st, 2006, 22:30
Yeah you are right, but actually I use the Internet browser and AVC a lot. So I'd rather keep 2.0 . And BTW, the great PSmonkey himself said that the ME can't acces kernel functions. So I think the E-Loader could be made compatible with 2.0+

You seem to have misunderstood Monkeys post..
2.0+ can only access certain kernal calls. To have ME access full kernal access is required. This is sometime 2.0+ cannot yet do.

middlemaniac
March 1st, 2006, 23:18
Well I hope that fanjita makes a new eboot loader for 2.0 when this emulator comes out. I really want to play Mario Kart!

PSmonkey
March 2nd, 2006, 01:00
heh again people, N64 roms will not be running on the 9th (ermm....). When roms do run they wont be running at 30fps at all. They will probably be 1-6fps depending on how i deal with the rsp. I want to use the ME and run the rsp in paralell like the n64 does vs the way n64 emu do by processing 100 rsp cycles (on request) in 1 cpu cycle. this will ungodly kill performace on the psp.

:S

Also even the most simple 2d n64 games need rsp sadly. Exspect the 9th build to be more about PD roms / homebrew demos then comercial roms. Yet still wait as there might be a big suprise on the 9th regarding monkey64.

Dmill
March 2nd, 2006, 02:18
Monkey, once again love ya (im not gay) you say they will only be running at 1 - 6 fps is this going to improve over time???? whatever happens man i support you 100 % i dont know what im more excited for n64 on psp or "halo" on psp .............. nvm definately n64

crazyjohn
March 2nd, 2006, 05:33
Yeah i wasnt saying i expected roms to be running at 30 fps from the get-go, nor that commercial games will be working on the 9th. And as far as i was aware it is not possible to run ME on a loader (although maybe one day...) Anywho keep up the gr8 work!!

odino
March 4th, 2006, 20:02
http://www.zophar.net/consoles/n64.html

Hi PSmonkey, these emulators work with M64?

DPyro
March 4th, 2006, 20:26
I wouldnt think an emulator would work in an N64 emulator for the PSP. Even if it did, it would probably be very slow.

odino
March 4th, 2006, 20:57
Yes, but it's only a my curiosity, i don't want to play an emulator on another emulator... :rolleyes:

PSmonkey
March 5th, 2006, 00:04
Actualy a few emus do work.

1) Mame 64 starts but crashes when running a game.
2) Vnes *technicaly* works but *something* is missing to keep it from being visable.
3) Neon64 runs the intro but I dont know if it runs roms yet. Mine in my PD rom pack might have not had a rom merged onto it.
4) There is a Donky Kong emu that runs just fine but due to aspec ratio its hard to see (to be fixed).

The rest I will have to give them a shot later tonight for kicks. I too am currious.

Infernux
March 5th, 2006, 09:47
Are you going to have too different versions of this when it is final release, one with kernel and one without. Or is it going to all be one version. If you are making two, is the kernel mode one going to use HLE?

PSmonkey
March 5th, 2006, 15:33
none are using hle atm. too messy (i looked). There will only be 1 build atm since I dont have anything for force on the ME still.

again FIRST BUILD WONT RUN COMERCIAL ROMS

I hate really stupid people with really dumb pets. Always so damn needy.

--edit--
64th post. Woot. There be barried treasure about the sandbox.
:rolleyes:

LHorse007
March 6th, 2006, 18:15
Everybody who wants to enjoy all the homebrew goodness and be able to play the latest games, as well as use the LocationFreeTV in 2.50+ (I love LocationFreeTV), then you need to invest in the second PSP. I've got a 2.60 USA ver (upgraded from v1.50), and a 1.50 JAP ver (upgraded from v1.00 by a freakon idiot, not me)

Gray Fox
March 13th, 2006, 14:57
Yes this does acctualy work on firmware 2.0+ with the GTA exploit, but where do i put the rom files? im using GTA exploit thing. cant find the rom files when i start the emulator

Shilo
March 13th, 2006, 15:17
Posted by Gray Fox:
Yes this does acctualy work on firmware 2.0+ with the GTA exploit, but where do i put the rom files? im using GTA exploit thing. cant find the rom files when i start the emulator

Make sure you have a folder in the root of your memory stick called "n64" (without quotes) and your roms go in there :)