PDA

View Full Version : PSP 2 Details ?

wraggster
March 13th, 2006, 01:03
Heres some take it or leave it rumours:

<blockquote>That being said, here’s a bit of info that I chanced into the other day, from a rather well-placed source named Proteus. He CONFIRMED a few details that were already rumored around the Net.
Seems Sony’s current internal plans call for a release of a refitted PSP around Christmas this year. The device will, indeed, be streamlined (thinner), lighter, boast 4 gigs of memory and a camera. Proteus indicated Sony is having a hell of a time with PlayStation 3 on several fronts (between PS3’s Cell processor and its built-in Blu-ray DVD, cost effectiveness has pretty much gone out the window). Seems the ever-phantasmic PS3 may well be delayed until next year, with Sony’s reworked PSP being positioned as a lead-in to its release (in the same way Nintendo’s release of the oh-so-sexy DS Lite heralds the coming of Revolution). </blockquote>

source (http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=22690)

CoderX
March 13th, 2006, 01:37
Here is a comperison for this is going to turn out.

PSP is to GBA, as PSP2 is to GameBoy_SP

It is going to be a new system that will play all the same games.
And will proubly have a new fw.

Problem is the new games may not be supported on the old psp's

So the likly senerio will be the need for more umd loader to run psp2 games on PSP1_1.5 systems.

Becouse i dont see the new systems having any real improvments in hardwear
we should have the ablity to play the same games

slayer2psp
March 13th, 2006, 01:42
if you think its not going to play the games already out your on some good drugs sony isnt that dumb plus its the same hardware it will just have memory and a cam i know this is only a rumour but this is what i believe will happen the ps3 is march 2007 usa i doubt its nov 2006 there going to push the psp big this year

pkmusicmaker
March 13th, 2006, 02:14
Here is a comperison for this is going to turn out.

PSP is to GBA, as PSP2 is to GameBoy_SP

It is going to be a new system that will play all the same games.
And will proubly have a new fw.

Absolutely not. The SP was just a different style of the same exact system with a backlight. The PSP2 apparently will have a lot more to it. Bad analogy.

Chackan
March 13th, 2006, 02:41
Absolutely not. The SP was just a different style of the same exact system with a backlight. The PSP2 apparently will have a lot more to it. Bad analogy.

The only thing that the PSP2 has better than the actiual is more memory and a camera, but that won't make games not compatible!

remansano
March 13th, 2006, 03:24
I really think sony might create a PSP-Slim (like what happened to PS2 and PS1), and that would mean: not so many new stuff added.
Anyway... I rather see a Keyboard for PSP then a brand new PSP2

pkmusicmaker
March 13th, 2006, 04:52
I really think sony might create a PSP-Slim (like what happened to PS2 and PS1), and that would mean: not so many new stuff added.
Anyway... I rather see a Keyboard for PSP then a brand new PSP2

Where could you fit a keyboard?

drew4237
March 13th, 2006, 05:00
it would plug into the dc power onteh top and then plug intot he usb port their too so u would have to upgrade to use it

urherenow
March 13th, 2006, 05:34
The extra RAM WOULD (I almost dare say WILL) make a difference in the games. Just as a small recent example (and I know commercial roms don't work yet but they may eventually), PSMonkey's N64 emulator can only handle a max ROM size of around 16megs. This is because of memory restrictions. There are N64 games that are over 40! not to mention that the 4meg ram expansion pack emulation might also be introduced which would more than likely bring the current available RAM available for a ROM roughly 12megs...

Now do you honestly think the game makers aren't going to exploit the extra memory available to them in the new PSP2? They can, so they will, and older PSP models will have to have a stripped down version of the game to run it

DeathEvil
March 13th, 2006, 05:38
I will buy it just to have it; I do hope there will be homebrew available for it too. I have 3PSP's at the moment. One FW 2.0 still sealed, and 2 1.5's just to have around and play emulators. PSP is cool system and PSP2 will be even better if Homebrew will work eventually.

jwilds73
March 13th, 2006, 06:57
You know Nintendo will have a cartridge adapter for the Revolution to play GB DS games and or GBA games also on the home system. That alone is a big selling point for me as I can play portable games on my home system when I am at home instead of just on my hand held. PS3 needs a UMB drive or drive adapter to allow me to play UMD games and movies on the PS3.

Forever~Zero
March 13th, 2006, 08:23
If it comes out this December i am seriously gonna kill Sony. I worked hard for my PSP and they just decide to make a new one with 4gb and camera? What the hell. Its already so expensive and they want to make a new one? WTF. Its not easy making money in Malaysia man. Dangit. Now i am seriously pissed at this news.

iniquitous_beast
March 13th, 2006, 08:27
agreed.

I bought my psp on its american launch day, just about a year ago. It is far to early to make a replacement for it; especially a replacement that only offers slight improvement over the original. Game systems are not like cellular phones. Gamers don't want to buy a new model every few months just to stay "on the bleeding edge".

odino
March 13th, 2006, 09:03
The extra RAM WOULD (I almost dare say WILL) make a difference in the games. Just as a small recent example (and I know commercial roms don't work yet but they may eventually), PSMonkey's N64 emulator can only handle a max ROM size of around 16megs. This is because of memory restrictions. There are N64 games that are over 40! not to mention that the 4meg ram expansion pack emulation might also be introduced which would more than likely bring the current available RAM available for a ROM roughly 12megs...

Now do you honestly think the game makers aren't going to exploit the extra memory available to them in the new PSP2? They can, so they will, and older PSP models will have to have a stripped down version of the game to run it

What? It doesn't have more ram but only 4 GB of internal memory for mp3 and video.

kcc86
March 13th, 2006, 09:44
How disappointing...

I own two psps and now sony is coming out with a new version of the psp... gay.

Elsid
March 13th, 2006, 09:54
man Sony is pissin' me off, they are realeasing PSP2 because for us hombrew gamers, they can't keep up with us so they realese a new better console so we feel left out, but hey no worries for me my psp is gonna be the hombrew one and psp2 is gonna be whatever it can be.
LOL, deal with that Sony!!!!!!!!!

pkmusicmaker
March 13th, 2006, 09:57
If they say it's coming out in December, we can expect it no sooner than 2009. Don't you guys know sony by now?

tryqus
March 13th, 2006, 12:03
I bought mine last july, so I've gotten a lotta play time outta it. You've got to feel sorry for the people who bought on just recently! By the looks of things their going to release a younger sexier psp in the next 12 monthes.

Curses!

-Tryqus

jwilds73
March 13th, 2006, 12:30
I forget who was heralding it around here before but we are going back to the days of Atari where they release craptastic system after system with next to no real upgrade in technology. Tossing a camera and more ram and built in 4 gig storage isn't a true step forward technologically it's simply adding more existing tech to the device. And while the added features may be nice they truly aren't innovative or any sort of technological leap. What should the lifespan of these system be before they are replaced with newer truly updated versions? The psp has hardly scratched the market. Were it not for emulation I wouldn't own one due to it's horrible selection of games. If they truly want to update the PSP they need to go alot further then just the meager plans it sounds like they have now.

CoderX
March 13th, 2006, 12:31
BTW i sayed the old psp wont run the new games with out a fw update.

I doubt sony will drop support for the psp1.
It will just be slimer.

dragaron
March 13th, 2006, 14:00
agreed.

I bought my psp on its american launch day, just about a year ago. It is far to early to make a replacement for it; especially a replacement that only offers slight improvement over the original. Game systems are not like cellular phones. Gamers don't want to buy a new model every few months just to stay "on the bleeding edge".

I agree totally.

Spastic:
March 13th, 2006, 14:34
I don't really care about the memory and size specs... what i would really like to see is a second analog stick. That is constantly a frusteration with this system when playing FPS's and the like. If it doesn't have that then i'm not even thinking about getting it.

I hate sony and all their really awesome inventions. Why do they have to be so bullsh*t?

DraconumPB
March 13th, 2006, 15:02
it would plug into the dc power onteh top and then plug intot he usb port their too so u would have to upgrade to use it

No keyboard in recent history (at least, since I've been alive) has ever required seperate power beyond the AT, PS/2, or USB connection that it's connected to. USB would be adequate I would imagine.

And DC power on the top? what are you talking about?

DraconumPB
March 13th, 2006, 15:05
I don't really care about the memory and size specs... what i would really like to see is a second analog stick. That is constantly a frusteration with this system when playing FPS's and the like. If it doesn't have that then i'm not even thinking about getting it.

I hate sony and all their really awesome inventions. Why do they have to be so bullsh*t?

I don't think that's ever going to happen until a REAL PSP2. That is to say, in the PS2 vs. PSX kind of way. I don't think Sony would add such a thing unless it had it's own independent functionality of the original stick, and I don't think that we're going to see new buttons anytime soon.

I could be wrong though. Sega made new controllers for both the Genesis and Saturn (the 6-button genesis pad and the eerily dreamcast-like nIghts controller).

Stew2000
March 13th, 2006, 18:44
Would Sony provide a trade-in for old PSP's?
...Doubt it.

pkmusicmaker
March 13th, 2006, 19:13
I feel like if they make the PSP smaller, I won'y be able to hold onto it.

IndianCheese
March 14th, 2006, 02:29
I say that lighter isn't always better. I like things to be small and fairly light-weight, but not feather-light. If it gets too small, then you're just playing a piece of expensive paper. Compare this situation to the original sega genesis controller. The wire weighed more than the controller itself. I think that the PSP, right now, is just the right size; small enough to fit in your pocket, but still has enough meat on it to play it comfortably.

EDIT: Just looked at the above posts. Looks like most people agree!

so_cal_forever
March 14th, 2006, 03:55
Huh? Excuse me?
Where's my scratch-proof screen?
My higher-charge stock battery?
Improved LCD without ghosting?
And most importantly... my second analog stick?

Get back me on those and I'll give my wallet a call.

snkrock25
March 14th, 2006, 04:34
I wholeheartedly believe sony is making the changes to kind of insert things that should have been in there in the first place. (Why else was there already a 'Camera Image' and 'Game' folder on my psp when i got it?)

the 4gb is a no brainer. The psp is a powerful media device with an aquilles heel. The UMD. If they didnt invest so much into this format and how they were gonna push it from the start, they woulda been all over digital distribution for the psp from the 'get go'.It's Cheaper.

The camera is a bit more of a request i think. Didnt square make a online rpg for final fantasy 7 with the turks, but it was only for cel phones because it required a camera in order to use to create materia? I could be mistaken on this one, but i bet square would be anxious to put such a popular franchise on a more reachable handheld. But the camera is required for gameplay, which is one of the many reasons it never came out in the states (not to mention our phone companies are a$$ backwards). They moreso wanna put in the camera as a gimmick for gaming I think, some weak way to try to 'one up' the DS in gimmickdom.
Fools. You cant 'out gimmick' Nintendo.

Feedback?

iniquitous_beast
March 14th, 2006, 08:02
Some of you are against lightening the psp. Personally, I believe that too much weight concentrated in too small of an object will often have destructive effects when the object (in this case, the psp) is dropped.

If Sony could simply redesign the psp so that it would not break when dropped from waist-level, and reshape it so that it stops slipping out of my sweaty hands, I will be pleased.

I'm tired of handling my psp like a baby.

zee
March 14th, 2006, 10:13
Hope 4GB mem price goes down after PSP2 goes on sale. PSP is #1 in my list of places i would least likely want to have a camera crammed into! Improving/updating the machine shouldn't be just adding another machine, and more to be repaired whether you use the feature or not.

zee
March 14th, 2006, 10:42
Bought a game grip/charger from GameStop that i love. Feels like a PS2 controller, has hand grips, and 4th brightness setting. I use DrugMart store brand foot powder to keep my clean hands drier. Wash & dry hands before rubbing in powder. Brush off so no extra dust gets in the PSP. Smells like wintergreen mints & helps me on NFS!

imoneofthem
March 14th, 2006, 18:58
I stopped reading everything posted here on the second page :P
Why are sony wasting their money.....for a better appearance!
We don't need a 4gb internal, neither a camera (everyone has a camera phone + there are 4gb memory sticks now). What's the point?

Although in saying this the DS Lite is the same and only differs in appearance, but is selling by the 1000's in Japan...wtf?

I mean, how are companies able to pull this off? and still release a next generation console?