PDA

View Full Version : More Details on Firmware 2.71

wraggster
June 1st, 2006, 15:56
Via CVG (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=140824)

Sony has just unleashed a brand new firmware update for the PSP version 2.71 which enables - amongst its many other wonders - LocationFree TV.

The new version adds a new icon to the PSP interface, Portable TV or P-TV, which adds portable TV watching functionality to your favourite sleek Sony handheld. Japanese users of the service will be able to download video content from So-net, with some free and some pay-to-download and view, content.

More significantly over here in the UK, version 2.71 will enable Sony's brand new LocationFree TV service which launches today in Sony stores across fair old Great Britainland. UK and European users can get the full deal by visiting Sony's freshly launched LocationFree TV site.

Demoed to CVG on Wednesday, LocationFree TV looks like it could be one of the PSP's killer features as the handheld expands over the next six months, allowing you to watch your home TV on a PSP or laptop from anywhere in the world.

Just in time for the World Cup too, and we'll be bringing you a full hands-on report soonest, but our advice is get downloading the firmware now - you need never miss a World Cup goal, an episode of Lost or the latest goings on in EastEnders ever again!

I prefer House which is on tonight myself ;)

Stew2000
June 1st, 2006, 16:11
House "Live" on my PSP. The Possibilites are endless :D

steve-b
June 1st, 2006, 16:27
I don't understand this location free thing. is it streaming across the web? Why would you do that and not just have an mp4 on your memory stick.

felonyr301
June 1st, 2006, 16:36
your limited to your pc's memory not the memory stick so more options i guess i dont really know lol..

felonyr301
June 1st, 2006, 16:36
i meant hard drive space

vettacossx
June 1st, 2006, 18:00
is it just me or does this seem a bit " fishy" taking into considration the mod chip was JUST released.... ;) HELL NO VETTA WONT GO!!

Ichijoe
June 1st, 2006, 18:56
As far I know S0NYs'® LocationFree™ is nearly a €400.00(EUR), Device that you would have to hook up between your TV, and a Broad-Band Connection, I'm not even sure your even requierd to have a PC. Outside of any configuration setups.

The tricky thing might be seting up a DNS lookup so you can quickly locate your currently assigned IP Address with out which your not going to stream anything. Beit with LocationFree™ or with the PiMP Streamer...

sroon
June 1st, 2006, 20:22
So do I have to have a location free player to use this or not?

vettacossx
June 1st, 2006, 20:44
YES YOU DO and its a major ripp off....im waiting for a tv tuner card i think that the one for the game gear was awsome EVEN IF IT DID ONLY GET LOCAL channels....for the cost you may as well have a ps2 or a portable dvd player put in your car its only 100 dollers labor and materials you can get a ps2 put in your car! for 300 bucks WTF sony ARE YOU JOKING ....first ANCIENT FLASH now a unbeleavably expensive location free device OMG whats next .....feeding your sony psp with your own blood to listen to the radio ;) !!! roflmao @ sony right now ....WTF

Chackan
June 1st, 2006, 21:07
For god's sake, Sony is just making useless firmware upgrades. Since the 2.0 that i don't see anything interesting coming out from it (2.0 brought the wallpaper feature and an internet browser).

Location Free? What the hell, does sony even though that not everyone has wireless?! How about making new features the doesnt require to be online constantly to use them?

Sony brought us a marvelous handheld, no doubt about that. They are just ruining it with all those Anti-Homebrew-Useless-Features-Firmware-Upgrades..

Stew2000
June 1st, 2006, 21:13
I have a Set-Top usb DVB box for my pc.
But I suppose it is a good idea if you want to watch shows from like UK and see them in Japan.

sedonx
June 1st, 2006, 23:17
location free will be good but probably a lot of hastle+ 2.71 will not support homebrew so it probably isn't worth it

(p.s, wraggster, do you mean house, the doctor program, because if so it rocks and if you do do you watch prison break?)

Voltron
June 1st, 2006, 23:42
In concept this sounds pretty cool but in practical use I don't see too many people using this too much. Especially if you need to buy an expensive adapter to plug in to your TV or PC.

I wish more time and resources were being put into the GAMING experience of the PSP. With better online play or a portal system. What about a firmware upgrade that will add an icon and feature to scan for what games are being played live over infrastructure, etc. I would love something like that. I hate how all games have their own sort of infrastructure system. Its not consistent and there doesn't ever seem to be anybody playing PSP games online.

If there were a PSP LIVE type of service where each PSP was a unique "GamerTag" and you could log in from any hotspot to see what games were being played or who was online. A friends list, etc. etc. Sure it would be like XBOX Live but it would at least be something. One of the most intriguing features of the PSP is its WiFi capabilities and they are not used for gaming as much as I would like to see.

Hopefully with the PS3, there will be an online service that the PSP can tap in to as well. Time will tell.

vettacossx
June 1st, 2006, 23:45
i totaly agree!

Video_freak
June 1st, 2006, 23:57
2.71 yawn. does this actually bring anything really NEW (other than locationfree, which no one has a base station) my guess is that sony is trying to kill that new mod chip. if a loophole is found in 2.71, then i'll take back that i said it was useless. untill then tho....

V3N0M
June 2nd, 2006, 00:05
In concept this sounds pretty cool but in practical use I don't see too many people using this too much. Especially if you need to buy an expensive adapter to plug in to your TV or PC.

I wish more time and resources were being put into the GAMING experience of the PSP. With better online play or a portal system. What about a firmware upgrade that will add an icon and feature to scan for what games are being played live over infrastructure, etc. I would love something like that. I hate how all games have their own sort of infrastructure system. Its not consistent and there doesn't ever seem to be anybody playing PSP games online.

If there were a PSP LIVE type of service where each PSP was a unique "GamerTag" and you could log in from any hotspot to see what games were being played or who was online. A friends list, etc. etc. Sure it would be like XBOX Live but it would at least be something. One of the most intriguing features of the PSP is its WiFi capabilities and they are not used for gaming as much as I would like to see.

Hopefully with the PS3, there will be an online service that the PSP can tap in to as well. Time will tell.

That would be really cool. Play on line with your PS3 and be able to keep that gamer tag and play the psp online.

mog
June 2nd, 2006, 02:56
I bet, even though this is a fairly useless update, new games will now require 2.71 forcing people to update for absolutely no reason. :(

Jimmy Lee
June 2nd, 2006, 05:34
If you don't have a 1.5 psp what do you got to lose. But you can already watch tv on your psp without Sony's help. You just need a tv tuner card in your computer, a wireless router, and a piece of homebrew software which lets you watch tv. It was in the Dcemu news a while back.

Tonx_9
June 2nd, 2006, 08:34
so you have to have wirless access point thingy to use the tv. thats crap.

mr_nick666
June 2nd, 2006, 09:29
2.71 yawn. does this actually bring anything really NEW (other than locationfree, which no one has a base station) my guess is that sony is trying to kill that new mod chip. if a loophole is found in 2.71, then i'll take back that i said it was useless. untill then tho....

Ive got a 1.5 at the moment - I was going to flash the modchip with the new firmware and keep my PSP 1.5 forever! :D

mog
June 2nd, 2006, 15:37
If you don't have a 1.5 psp what do you got to lose.
1.00 - everything!
1.51 & 1.52 - the ability to update to 2.00.
2.00-2.60 - eloader
2.70 - not much yet, but time will tell!

:p

Xiro
June 2nd, 2006, 16:09
if history shows us anything, it is that 2.70 will be downgradable.

1.5 ran homebrew -> 1.51 didnt
2.0 ran homebrew -> 2.01 didnt
2.7 ??? homebrew -> 2.71 didnt

neoridge
June 2nd, 2006, 17:50
ok i dont get whats the deal with this firmware didnt the other previous wares already have location free player?(i would kno b/ my psp is 2.7 with a location free player alreeady on there)

neoridge
June 2nd, 2006, 17:56
im still not sure about whats new with this ware but from what sonys descrition of it it seems as though ur sopposed to be able to link with a pc tv tuner card or some thin "Using the PSP™ system's [Internet Browser] feature, game demos can now be downloaded and saved on Memory Stick™ media.
The following demo is currently available for download:

LocoRoco™ demo
(Demo release date TBD.)
Video can now be displayed correctly when an external tuner is selected in [LocationFree™ Player].
Affects LocationFree™ base station (a Sony product sold separately) model numbers LF-B1 (sold in North America/Taiwan/Korea) and LF-X11 (sold in North America). (Refer to the instruction manual for your LocationFree™ base station to locate the model number.)
The issue that has been addressed does not affect LocationFree™ base stations sold in Japan or Europe."

Video_freak
June 3rd, 2006, 03:54
Ive got a 1.5 at the moment - I was going to flash the modchip with the new firmware and keep my PSP 1.5 forever! :D

my plan exactly!!!

mavsman4457
June 3rd, 2006, 04:11

Very good point. Someone will find out the loophole or exploit. i hope it's soon.

EDIT: Also, the LocationFree homebrew application that was reffered to earlier in the thread is TVSP. I am currently working on it, just kidding but I wish, someone is currently working hard on it and it does not yet have sound. The first update came out only a week or two after the first release so I am expecting an update any day now.:D

Chackan
June 3rd, 2006, 04:36

Personally i don't want downgrades, i want full homebrew support (and as im always stating, no iso loaders) in the latest firmware versions! Sigh...i can only dream :S

MadMonkee
June 3rd, 2006, 09:25
MODCHIP TO THE RESCUE!! :)

It's the only thing Sony is powerless over, unless of course a super-lawyer is used. But even then, on the people market it will be sold, it would only make the price sharper.

:) flash the modchip to 2.71 and flash the original psp bios to 1.50. (appearently modchip can flash the other bios aswell)

Now, to find 100 bucks :P

gotmilk0112
June 3rd, 2006, 13:11
wow.... ability to download game demos a bit faster?? a fix for locationfree TV which liek noone has cuz its 350$ in the united states?

it does sound like $ony just wants to rid themselves of that modchip

DIE $ONY DIE

scottyboynow
June 4th, 2006, 13:05
if this new cracked replacement bios for 2.71 is real it will have all the features of 2.71 and it will play homebrew just hope its real just have to wait and see

gsyph0
June 4th, 2006, 20:04
I actually have wireless, would I ever use this? maybe like 2 times just for novelty. Definately not worth buying something for...or worse- losing my homebrew