PDA

View Full Version : Sony: We want PS3 to be like the ipod

wraggster
June 13th, 2006, 00:07
Ken Kutaragi recently held a very long interview with Japanese web site PC Impress Watch where he spoke about the PS3's current presence and that for Sony, their goal is to have their next-generation console have the kind of market pull that the Apple brand does.

"Steve Jobs could slap an Apple logo on the PS3 and sell them for $2,000 each. We couldn't do that. That's the difference between the PlayStation brand and a computer brand, like Apple."

Kutaragi emphasized that he wished to make the term "PS3" synonymous with "entertainment computer." The company's goals seem to be in established an electronics "ecosystem" in the consumer's household, where the name Sony means enjoyment. However, where Apple has achieved this through stylish, trendy gadgets at affordable pricing, will this goal be achievable for Sony given the heft price tag of the unit?

felonyr301
June 13th, 2006, 02:39
no they are not going to achieve greatness like apple end of story and guess what they are on the top as much as i think they dont deserve to be on top (nintendo) they are and no matter what price it is it will sell cause they have mindless fans who buy into their hype :cool:

Zion
June 13th, 2006, 22:10
I agree

Accordion
June 13th, 2006, 22:28
so kutaragi wants the ps3 to be instantly recognisable, hugely marketable, have great control, but plays low quality content, and dies within a year of use...
i love the irony of the APPLE IPOD Hi-Fi . hahahahahaha

oh and the ipod is not affordable!

irongiant
June 14th, 2006, 01:44
no they are not going to achieve greatness like apple end of story and guess what they are on the top as much as i think they dont deserve to be on top (nintendo) they are and no matter what price it is it will sell cause they have mindless fans who buy into their hype :cool:

Mindless fans? How about the millions who enjoy the content on playstation platforms.. Sony are on top because they have been very clever with marketing and have the games the majority of gamers want to play, its fact. So called hardcore gamers make up a small percentage of gamers, get over it. If it wasn't for Sony who would be pushing Nintendo to make better and more innovative games?

RedKing14CA
June 14th, 2006, 03:36
I wonder why Bill Gates is really the one on top... perhaps... no no.. *cough* open source *cough*

deftonesmx17
June 14th, 2006, 14:31
Sony are on top because they have been very clever with marketing and have the games the majority of gamers want to play, its fact.
Errrr.......no. The average PS2 owner is on at least their second PS2. There are also many more who bought more than just two like myself due to their shit lasers. So you can clearly drag that 100 million PS2 owners number way down. Also, people who don't noramlly play video games bought PS2's because games such as GTA are perceived as "cool" to play. $ony doesnt have that this time around. The game series that propelled PS2 sales, is not exclusive anymore. The $ony machine will not get it a year before everyone else does. The most expensive xbox 360 is also still less than the cheaper PS3. So let me put this simple. People that are not serious gamers and just want stuff like EA sports games and GTA are not going to help $ony's machine sales this time around. GTA comes out on both X360 and PS3. Those non-serious gamers will stand in a store and say, hmmm, I can get this $300-400 machine and GTA 4, or I can buy this $500-600 machine and GTA 4, I'll get the cheaper one.

r2works
June 14th, 2006, 16:05
sounds like their late into the game, this seems to be Nintendo's goal with the Wii console. If they want something to be iconic, it needs to be more universal.

horacehogarth
June 14th, 2006, 16:23
Errrr.......no. The average PS2 owner is on at least their second PS2. There are also many more who bought more than just two like myself due to their shit lasers. So you can clearly drag that 100 million PS2 owners number way down. Also, people who don't noramlly play video games bought PS2's because games such as GTA are perceived as "cool" to play. $ony doesnt have that this time around. The game series that propelled PS2 sales, is not exclusive anymore. The $ony machine will not get it a year before everyone else does. The most expensive xbox 360 is also still less than the cheaper PS3. So let me put this simple. People that are not serious gamers and just want stuff like EA sports games and GTA are not going to help $ony's machine sales this time around. GTA comes out on both X360 and PS3. Those non-serious gamers will stand in a store and say, hmmm, I can get this $300-400 machine and GTA 4, or I can buy this $500-600 machine and GTA 4, I'll get the cheaper one.

Utter crap, stop perpetuating myths.. my PS2 i bought on day one is still going strong. If there were that many PS2's breaking down then people wouldn't buy them. The PS2 has the widest and most diverse choice of games and that will more than likely be the case with the PS3. Look at the console sales figures in the US, the PS2 has recently outsold the XBox360.. Oh i totally agree that the PS3 is too expensive.

Accordion
June 14th, 2006, 17:47
in sonys defence my PS2 was bought on uk launch and is still working great, and my reason for wanting the ps3 is metal gear solid 4, i also agree the success of the ps2 comes from huge amounts of software, in my local gamestation there is half the shop floor dedicated to PS2 stuff, with the other half containing all other platforms which occupy about one shelf unit each and sharing space with dvd movies and some gaming merchandise. if sony can get the same amount of software backing they will win the so called console war..

and dont discount the ps3 for its lateness, the ps2 wasnt first to market last time...

deftonesmx17
June 14th, 2006, 18:10
Utter crap, stop perpetuating myths.. my PS2 i bought on day one is still going strong. If there were that many PS2's breaking down then people wouldn't buy them.
Good for you that your day one PS2 still works, but its not the case for most. I personally know only one person who is still on their first PS2, one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_2 Read under Technical Issues.........hmmmm not such a myth is it.

As for your comment of "If there were that many PS2's breaking down then people wouldn't buy them." Everyone already knows windows is a resource hog that slows their computer down so why does everyone keep using it. Becasue they don't really have a choice because if they want to use certain apps/games they need to use windows. So likewise, I went through 3 PS2's(aka kept buying them) because if I wanted to play certain games I liked............I didnt have a choice.

Accordion
June 14th, 2006, 18:53
are you saying you actually paid for 3 ps2s are you crazy, there is a warranty!!

though there were no problems with my ps2...
i had three ps1s, the first got stolen, along with my memory cards!(i now lock my memory cards in a safe when i go on holiday! too important), and the second i pulled off the shelf when my foot got tangled in the wires realising i was late for school from playing tekken 2, the whole thing shattered. thank you home insurance cover. i am also on my fourth psp after getting replacements sent by sony due to dead pixels and one huge scratch!!

navysealrb
June 14th, 2006, 19:50
u guys have wut i call

bad luck

hahahaha

and im still on my first ps2 and psp

no problems!

deftonesmx17
June 14th, 2006, 20:55
are you saying you actually paid for 3 ps2s are you crazy, there is a warranty!!

Why yes there is but its only for 90 days, which all of my three PS2's made it past. Like I said, it was because I loved the exclusives.........when one did die......I needed another one fast.:)

Accordion
June 14th, 2006, 21:04
where do you live
im almost sure my warranty was for 1 year

your meant to fight for these things anyway!

Zion
June 14th, 2006, 22:08
you probably meant the warranty from the shop, not from sony :p

Accordion
June 15th, 2006, 16:02
who did
where is this awlful land with only 90 day warranties

GAME and most shops only have a 10 day return policy in the UK.

deftonesmx17
June 15th, 2006, 17:50
who did
where is this awlful land with only 90 day warranties

USA:rolleyes:

The little warranty sticker on my PS2's said "90 day limited warranty" and all the crap about warranty void if seal is broken blah blah blah.......

Accordion
June 15th, 2006, 18:47
hmmm
thats a shame shame
i bet the uk has a stricter policy on comsumer rights
USA is a major of capitalism, probably why they tread on the little people more

Apoklepz
June 15th, 2006, 19:59
I've only had a problem with the old old PS1...the disk wouldn't read after sometime...later a friend told me this was a common deffect and tought me that it would still work if I put the console upside down or on it's side.
But I've never had problems with my PS2.

deftonesmx17
June 15th, 2006, 20:42
But I've never had problems with my PS2.
And do you use the PS2 stand to have it on its side? $ony designed the PS2 to work best under that condition. With my third PS2, it was on its side from day one and it lasted much longer than my other two.:)

horacehogarth
June 16th, 2006, 10:09
Good for you that your day one PS2 still works, but its not the case for most. I personally know only one person who is still on their first PS2, one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_2 Read under Technical Issues.........hmmmm not such a myth is it.

As for your comment of "If there were that many PS2's breaking down then people wouldn't buy them." Everyone already knows windows is a resource hog that slows their computer down so why does everyone keep using it. Becasue they don't really have a choice because if they want to use certain apps/games they need to use windows. So likewise, I went through 3 PS2's(aka kept buying them) because if I wanted to play certain games I liked............I didnt have a choice.

Well if we're judging this on personal experiences i don't know anybody who has had to return a PS2, about 12 people i know all bought PS2's within the first few months of them being on sale and none have been returned with faults. Same goes for XBoxs, though one did have a problem with the Hard Drive. It's the same old story, people only ever comment when something goes wrong.. when you're dealing in millions of units then of course there's a percentage that have problems but saying the PS2 sales figures are over inflated because of faulty units being replaced is just plain rubbish.

deftonesmx17
June 16th, 2006, 14:25
Lets do quick simple logic here. $ony has had two class action lawsuits against them for faulty lasers (aka the "disc read error") and other . Because of the first class action lawsuit, the court gave $ony the choice between two descions. Pay the requested fines and damages or offer free repair and/or replacements at their discretion. Hmmmm, this certainly looks like much more than just my personal experience, but you seem like the type that will still argue.........no matter how many facts I place in front of you:rolleyes:

Accordion
June 16th, 2006, 15:52
topic

doof69
June 17th, 2006, 13:07
off the topic a bit. The main reason I am going to buy a ps3 is because it capability to play blue-ray movies. A blue-ray movie player is going to be around the same price as the ps3 anyway. Then finally i can get true HD movies on my projector. i.e 1080i :)

horacehogarth
June 19th, 2006, 13:31
Lets do quick simple logic here. $ony has had two class action lawsuits against them for faulty lasers (aka the "disc read error") and other . Because of the first class action lawsuit, the court gave $ony the choice between two descions. Pay the requested fines and damages or offer free repair and/or replacements at their discretion. Hmmmm, this certainly looks like much more than just my personal experience, but you seem like the type that will still argue.........no matter how many facts I place in front of you:rolleyes:

No argument here sunshine, just waiting for you to back up your points. Give me some real facts, how many PS2's have been sold as replacements? You can't so all you're doing is guessing and spreading speculation. Lets say everything you say is right, so out of 100m PS2s sold even if a ridiculously high figure of 10% have been replacements for faulty units then they've still sold 90m which makes the PS2 the most popular console by a huge margin.

As for the original topic, i'll get a PS3 when it's first price cut happens.. same with the 360, im sure MS will drop it's price for this xmas.

deftonesmx17
June 19th, 2006, 13:53
No argument here sunshine, just waiting for you to back up your points. Give me some real facts, how many PS2's have been sold as replacements? You can't so all you're doing is guessing and spreading speculation. Lets say everything you say is right, so out of 100m PS2s sold even if a ridiculously high figure of 10% have been replacements for faulty units then they've still sold 90m which makes the PS2 the most popular console by a huge margin.

I already gave you the facts. The facts about the faulty lasers in the PS2's(which you said was a myth). The fact that it became such a problem that the courts ruled against $ony. Meaning it wasnt in the average 3-5% of all units might be faulty range.

Oh and just to add, 100 million shipped, not sold. Everytime you read about numbers of $ony units, its always in shipped and not sold. Thus meaning a replacement console that was shipped by $ony to a person does add to that number. So you have each and every (free of charge) replacement unit and ones people have bought themselves add to that over 100 million units shipped number.

Just some extra FYI; not sure if you grasped this or not, but I was never denying that the PS2 was the most popular console in history(it was so great that I even bought three).............unlike how you are completely denying that it ever had known hardware problems :rolleyes:

Back to the original topic, they are right though, people would buy a box of shit if it had an apple (or $ony) logo on the side.

Accordion
June 19th, 2006, 14:14
Topic!

doof69
June 20th, 2006, 06:37
Are you saying that sony would ship 100 million units for no reason? "O yeah, lets ship 100 million units because they are not getting sold" For a company to ship 100 million units i think they are doing allright in selling their console :)

RedKing14CA
June 20th, 2006, 08:20
I HEART NINTENDO!!! PLAYSTATIONS ARE .. .. ... ...GAYSTATIONS!!!!

LOL, JK... you guys are funny though..

horacehogarth
June 20th, 2006, 11:07
I already gave you the facts. The facts about the faulty lasers in the PS2's(which you said was a myth). The fact that it became such a problem that the courts ruled against $ony. Meaning it wasnt in the average 3-5% of all units might be faulty range.

Oh and just to add, 100 million shipped, not sold. Everytime you read about numbers of $ony units, its always in shipped and not sold. Thus meaning a replacement console that was shipped by $ony to a person does add to that number. So you have each and every (free of charge) replacement unit and ones people have bought themselves add to that over 100 million units shipped number.

Just some extra FYI; not sure if you grasped this or not, but I was never denying that the PS2 was the most popular console in history(it was so great that I even bought three).............unlike how you are completely denying that it ever had known hardware problems :rolleyes:

Back to the original topic, they are right though, people would buy a box of shit if it had an apple (or $ony) logo on the side.

Blimey you've really got a superiority complex going on, you're not even reading what i put.. though because you keep using rolleyes you must be right. I said the myth was that a large percentage of PS2 sales were just replacement units which is rubbish.

You've not provided any facts whatsoever regarding how many PS2's have been returned as faulty which is what i asked. So like i say without a shred of evidence or any statistics whatsoever you're just blowing hot air and speculating.

Yep it did and still does have issues, so did the XBox with it's power supply and hard drives. The Playstation side of Sony's business has been about the only one making any decent profit for them over the past few years, if millions of PS2's were being replaced don't you think that would have eaten a lot of the profit?

"Back to the original topic, they are right though, people would buy a box of shit if it had an apple (or $ony) logo on the side."

That also applies to Microsoft, Nintendo and most other huge corporations.. people have been buying Microsoft branded shit for their PC's for years and the same old Nintendo games over and over again.

deftonesmx17
June 20th, 2006, 17:33
Blimey you've really got a superiority complex going on,
Obviously you have one also or you wouldnt keep responding to me.;)

You've not provided any facts whatsoever regarding how many PS2's have been returned as faulty which is what i asked.
You're right as companies do not give out those numbers. Even with the faulty Xbox360's, M$ hasnt given a number but its is said to be around the average 3-5% of all units are faulty. This was not the case with the PS2. Again, in order for a court to decide against you in a case over faulty units, that percentage had to be well above the average 3-5%. Its a fact that $ony lost the case meaning it was considered above average by the court and only an illogical $ony fanboy would say otherwise. Just some FYI, even if it was only 5% of all units are faulty(which is considered normal) out of 100 million, thats still around 5 million units.

Yep it did and still does have issues, so did the XBox with it's power supply and hard drives. The Playstation side of Sony's business has been about the only one making any decent profit for them over the past few years, if millions of PS2's were being replaced don't you think that would have eaten a lot of the profit?
Did I ever say the xbox was problem free? I don't seem to think so! Yup, most of $ony's recent profits have come from the Playstation side of the company. Then again, most console manufactures make the majority of profits from game sales and not console sales....everyone knows this. The PS2 has a huge library of games which equals huge profits for the Playstation division of $ony. I also have a reality check for you. If I have a 90 warranty and my console starts to have issues at 92 days; the only person suffering is me, not $ony. $ony doesnt have to replace my console, I do. This in turn takes money from me and places it in $ony's pocket, meaning this does not hurt $ony's PS2 profits...........IT HELPS IT.

horacehogarth
June 21st, 2006, 17:24
Errrr.......no. The average PS2 owner is on at least their second PS2. There are also many more who bought more than just two like myself due to their shit lasers. So you can clearly drag that 100 million PS2 owners number way down.[/i]

If you remember this gem of yours.. that's what i was taking issue with. So for the average PS2 owner to be on at least their second PS2 that means about 50 million were defective which you have to agree is complete garbage. Bringing the figures way down? Even at 10% which is probably about right that's not bringing the figures way down at all.

Here's another of yours..

Good for you that your day one PS2 still works, but its not the case for most.[/i]

It's great that you can speak on behalf of millions of people. Most? total crap. Just admit you're making wildly exagerrated claims and move on ;)

Cap'n 1time
June 21st, 2006, 17:34
Most people we agree that the original ps2's were released with so many flaws that it was not funny.

As for the xbox power supply... mine actually caught on fire... the reason was mainly due to me opening my case and slowly looseing it and eventually exposing it to things it shouldnt have been exposed to.. i never really heard of anyone else with a power supply problem that didnt involve them voiding their warrenty.

"Back to the original topic, they are right though, people would buy a box of shit if it had an apple (or $ony) logo on the side."

oh its funny how times change. It used to be that apple really did sell boxes of shit.

deftonesmx17
June 21st, 2006, 17:44
If you remember this gem of yours.. that's what i was taking issue with. So for the average PS2 owner to be on at least their second PS2 that means about 50 million were defective which you have to agree is complete garbage. Bringing the figures way down? Even at 10% which is probably about right that's not bringing the figures way down at all.
An average in mathematics is not always 50% of the total number. Even better is how I wasnt speaking in mathematics, but only using it a descriptive word that you took way out of context. Had I been talking about 50% I would have just directly said the following "Half of the total PS2's sold were replacement units".

It's great that you can speak on behalf of millions of people. Most? total crap. Just admit you're making wildly exagerrated claims and move on ;)
If I use the word many instead of most does that make you feel better.................

@ 1timeuser
I wouldnt use the word most as horacehogarth might have a cow over it.

Accordion
June 21st, 2006, 17:45
hang on a minute!!!

im a mac user, and...
oh forget it, pc users are all the same
(say bye bye PDF and Adobe support)

the ipod is a piece of crap, anyone who actually loves music will understand that.
i still find the term "IPOD HI-FI" very funny
128kbs...hilarious... i would love the tone hiss filling my room!

oh and isnt this thread about PS3?

irongiant
June 22nd, 2006, 00:53
An average in mathematics is not always 50% of the total number. Even better is how I wasnt speaking in mathematics, but only using it a descriptive word that you took way out of context. Had I been talking about 50% I would have just directly said the following "Half of the total PS2's sold were replacement units".

@ 1timeuser
I wouldnt use the word most as horacehogarth might have a cow over it.

Jeez you just won't let it go will you.. though there's no rolleyes so you must be being serious. You wrote crap and won't just admit it, if someone uses the word 'most' then they mean the majority or a high percentage or are you using a different dictionary to the rest of us? As for mathematics and averages you know exactly what i was getting at though you're covering that up by trying to sound clever.

If I use the word many instead of most does that make you feel better..................

Nope, i couldn't care less. If you change one word you may as well change every other word as well.

Have the last word bud, i'll let ya and i know you're desperate to have it.

deftonesmx17
June 22nd, 2006, 14:52
Jeez you just won't let it go will you.. though there's no rolleyes so you must be being serious. You wrote crap and won't just admit it, if someone uses the word 'most' then they mean the majority or a high percentage or are you using a different dictionary to the rest of us? As for mathematics and averages you know exactly what i was getting at though you're covering that up by trying to sound clever.
I like how you use definite numbers, but you were "trying to say something else" or "I know what you were getting at". Then again, when I use a simple descriptive word you have a cow over it..........there is my last word :rolleyes:

Cap'n 1time
June 22nd, 2006, 15:59
everyone stop the arguments. Im not sure you guys even know why are your squabbling. Just leave it before I have to lock this thread.

doof69
June 24th, 2006, 11:17
If the ps3 has a vagina then i can have sex with it!

Accordion
June 24th, 2006, 17:09
??????????????????????????????????????????????
???????? ?????????????????????????????????????