PDA

View Full Version : ThrottleX 0.3 (Multiplayer coming soon hopefully)

AnonymousTipster
August 13th, 2006, 11:36
Ok, I was going to release this to Atlantis once I've got multiplayer working, but I need some more levels designed for the download option, so i'm releasing the first version now.

Improvements over the first version are:
Round wheels
Level Editor
Save/View Replays (press Square at Mission Complete screen to save)
15 new levels
Downloadable levels
De-activated auto-reset (use Tri if you've failed)

A few notes about the alpha:
There's still some debug info flying around, just ignore it.
It may well crash or freeze for no apparent reason, I think it's an overflow issue, but if you can reproduce it, that would be useful.
The beginnings of multiplayer can be accessed by Start+LTrig at the main menu, you can view servers, add servers but not actually play anyone else yet.
I might have missed something crucial in this build, so there might be regular updates, check back here often.

A few notes about the editor:
I'd recommend not rotating the blocks in more than one axis, as I think my GU->ODE matrix conversion is slightly flawed and may produce odd results.
Down the bottom left is an image depicting which 'mode' you are in, a camera dictates camera movement, straight arrows dictate translation, curved arrows dictate rotation, two straight arrows dictate scaling and three objects dictate object selection.
Camera: Up/Down is zoom in/out
Left/Right is rotate left/right about current object
Tri/Cross is up/down
Movement:
Up/Down/Left/Right is X/Z translation
Tri/Cross is Y translation
Rotation:
Controls different depending on where you view from, similar to Movement.
Scaling:
Same as Movement.
Selection:
Left/Right scrolls through objects
When on movement, you can tap select to duplicate the current object. Note that you do not need to tap select again to 'set' it in place, or you will end up with two objects in the same place.

Start brings up the menu, where you can change between blocks, spawn, goal/gate and power ups. Clicking Add Object will add a new object near the origin, Delete Object will remove the currently selected object. Test Level runs that level, and can be exited via start then triangle.

Level Options:
Level Name: The title that comes up whenever the level is reset
Creator: Who you are
Game Type: Click X to toggle goal or gate mode
Save Level as .trx: saves level to SavedLevels folder
Filename: the filename to save
Load Level: Lists levels in SavedLevels to load
Clear Level: Deletes all data on current level

Power Ups:
Gravity: Changes gravitational pull. Default is -64 in the Y field
Boost: Gives the car an impulse in that direction
Jet Pac: Gives the player some fuel for the jet pac

Jet Pac Controls:
This will require some skill to get used to. When you have some fuel, hold L/RTrigger to boost you up in the air. Left/Right turns you in the air and Up/Down controls the nose of the car, a lower nose means you travel forward faster (same principle as a helicopter). Note that these controls are only available when powering the jet pac.

Screenshot:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a4/anonymoustipster/ThrottleX-1.jpg

Download Link: www.anonymoustipster.com/AThrottleX031.zip
Password: howimineforfish

Enjoy, and I look forward to seeing your levels and getting your feedback.

Produkt
August 13th, 2006, 17:39
Alright AT! Awsome I loved the last release I'll see about some tricky level designs :D

Malksta
August 13th, 2006, 20:13
Sweet !

LordSturm
August 14th, 2006, 08:13
I'll be messing round with this one for sure. :P

I'll see if im any good at teh level designing area. :)

PSmonkey
August 14th, 2006, 21:34
Had a go at it.

An awsome improvement over the previous but I have a few issues with it.

1) for the love of god let us use analog to stear & make it analog :P Would make things better

2) Camera needs help. on like the 4-5th level, its so difficult since you cant see the platforms after the jump.

LordSturm
August 15th, 2006, 07:58
Yeh, right grind is hard, cuz i cant see anything. :P

Also needs sound effects. :P ( Music gets tedious. )

Overall its pretty cool, and will be cool online.

( I want analogue too. :P )

AnonymousTipster
August 16th, 2006, 09:57
I've updated the download link in the first post to include the version with an improved camera (somewhat) and analog steering. I think Produkt and PSM already have this version.

Multiplayer isn't looking too great right now. UDP is giving me a hard time v_v

AnonymousTipster
August 17th, 2006, 09:19
Anyone made any levels yet?

Malksta
August 17th, 2006, 15:45
I'm gonna go try create a level soon.
Also, an option to set the size of the level in the editor would be nice

LordSturm
August 19th, 2006, 11:36
Golly Gosh, teh maps are complex...

Heh, too much tilting and the sort.

Ill give it a try anyway...

PSPdemon
August 25th, 2006, 03:57
Hi, AT

i have been messing around with your game now for awhile now....and have been doing modifications to it in the recent couple of days and i have a couple of questions for you.....

1. What file is the music file.....and what do i have to convert it to to make it play that music...

2. I noticed you have a couple of grass textures....but i only see one of them being used in game....do you mind telling me what the others are for?

3. Where is the "goal" texture? and where is the "GO" Image?

thats about all the questions i have for right now :D

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

AnonymousTipster
August 25th, 2006, 07:47
In order:
1. Mikmod. It's like MIDI, but actually sounds good. You can't convert a song to Mikmod, you have to orchastrate it. There are millions of mikmods out there to choose from.
2. They are the same texture, merely scaled for mipmapping.
3. Some textures are compiled along with the game EBOOT, if it's not in resources, it's compiled with it. Note that the Goal texture isn't very moddable anyway as it's 4x4.

PSPdemon
August 29th, 2006, 02:39
Hey AT,

Back again, wanted to give you a link to the mod if you havent seen it already :P http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33749

hope you enjoy it as much as i did making it :D

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon