PDA

View Full Version : more KETM!

kando
August 14th, 2006, 05:06
Hey there,

Just got into the homebrew scene a few weeks ago when i got my *ick* 2.6 ta-082 ceramic white...but one of the most IMPRESSIVE games i've seen has been KETM! so beautifully smooth and challenging....and the ability to mod so easily has had me waiting for more mods since i got it...but i only see the galaga mod, which is pretty much just graphics D:

so basically when there is an issue like this, i take it upon myself to figure out how everything works and make something myself =)

i had a few questions for you on how the game operates though, if you could spare some time =)

1) when making a weapon sprite, such as plasma.png, if, say, i make a straight beam on the far left of the sprite, and have the whole right half of it black...does the black part act as though it doesnt exist in-game? i wanna verify...seems to be this way, tho i might be wrong.

2) animated sprites, like killray....can they be expanded vertically and/or horizontally? and do they function the same way as question 1?

3) in level 3...

"# column 2: command (T=text, E=enemy)"

u also use B and 6...what are they used as?

if you could help me with those i am gonna use my spare time to play around with modding it....esp since i really dont wanna start doing C again and this seems to be more of a time daunter than a coding project.

LOVE the game, and would love to test any betas you have, like i said im running on 2.6 :)

cheers!
-kando

deniska
August 14th, 2006, 05:57
Hey there,

Just got into the homebrew scene a few weeks ago when i got my *ick* 2.6 ta-082 ceramic white...but one of the most IMPRESSIVE games i've seen has been KETM! so beautifully smooth and challenging....and the ability to mod so easily has had me waiting for more mods since i got it...but i only see the galaga mod, which is pretty much just graphics D:

so basically when there is an issue like this, i take it upon myself to figure out how everything works and make something myself =)

i had a few questions for you on how the game operates though, if you could spare some time =)

1) when making a weapon sprite, such as plasma.png, if, say, i make a straight beam on the far left of the sprite, and have the whole right half of it black...does the black part act as though it doesnt exist in-game? i wanna verify...seems to be this way, tho i might be wrong.

2) animated sprites, like killray....can they be expanded vertically and/or horizontally? and do they function the same way as question 1?

3) in level 3...

"# column 2: command (T=text, E=enemy)"

u also use B and 6...what are they used as?

if you could help me with those i am gonna use my spare time to play around with modding it....esp since i really dont wanna start doing C again and this seems to be more of a time daunter than a coding project.

LOVE the game, and would love to test any betas you have, like i said im running on 2.6 :)

cheers!
-kando

1) Black is a masking color in sprites- meaning everything in black (0x000000) will be clear in the sprite...
2) You can't change the number of frames in the sprites w/o re-compiling the code. You should be able to resize them though, keeping the number of frames the same... Note, using very large sprites may slowdown the rendering...

I believe "B" stands for background.. if you remove that line, it will default to black, i think (have to check the code)
6 is the speed for GROUNDER enemy.. 5 makes it move together with background..
Here info from one of my threads...

new enemy ( GROUNDER ) and objects BGPANEL/BGPANEL2 added.
sample definition:
00100|6|GROUNDER|200032
Last parameter isthe x,y coordinates in format x*1000+y
second parameter is the downscroll speed (5 = bg speed)

If you want to test the map viewer - PM me your PSPs MAC...

kando
August 14th, 2006, 06:14
ty for the info =) did some playing around, seems there are some that i can enlarge, like the firebomb...but the animated ones gotta stay the same...but havin a ball modding this, thx for the info =)

will pm u about the other prog :D

ah and one more thing....a small bug...when u have a shield, you simply need to touch the shield to any boss to instantly kill them...unless that was ur intention =)

cheers!

kando
August 14th, 2006, 06:23
can you elaborate on the grounder x,y coordinate setup?

00180|6|BGPANEL|0
00180|6|BGPANEL|32
00180|6|BGPANEL|32064
00180|6|BGPANEL|96
00180|6|BGPANEL|128
00180|6|BGPANEL|160
00180|6|BGPANEL|32192
00180|6|BGPANEL|224
00180|6|BGPANEL|96224
00180|6|BGPANEL|256
00180|6|GROUNDER|64256
00180|6|GROUNDER|32000
00180|6|GROUNDER|64032
00180|6|GROUNDER|32064
00180|6|GROUNDER|64096
00180|6|GROUNDER|32128
00180|6|GROUNDER|64160
00180|6|GROUNDER|32192
00180|6|GROUNDER|224

and what is the range of enemy difficulty? 0-2? i appologize if you have it posted somewhere, but if you could elaborate on it a bit id appreciate it ^_^

thanks again :D

very confused how those function...if i can understand that, i think i got everything i need :D

deniska
August 14th, 2006, 18:23
x,y coordinates in format x*1000+y, so for example,
64096 means x=64 & y=96.
The way y coordinate works: it is an offset to the top of the screen:
00180|6|GROUNDER|64096
at the point of time=00180 this sprite is at x=64 & y=-96 (i.e. not visible on screen yet)
This is done so you can group things together in formations...

BTw, you should be able to resize framed sprites too, as long as you keep the number of frames the same..

enemy difficulty - (0-2 or 3 - i have to check the code): at higher difficulty some enemies become more hostile - spitting more bullets...

The shield thing is actually a bug, which I did not want to fix - it's actually my only chance to pass some bosses, since I am not too good at these types of games...

Also, there is a pause bug, which is also left there intentionally: if you keep the game on pause for ~15 seconds, all enemies on screen die (producing the powerups).. that does not apply to bosses though...