PDA

View Full Version : How to create 3d models for games in c...

roberto_h25
August 24th, 2006, 20:36
In case somebody is interested... what I've been working in is the following:

1) 3d modeling software: AC3D (free to try)
2) I export my model in a .tri format
3) Created a routine that converts that file in c code, which I paste afterwards in my program.

I also created a .bat file that changes the time in my computer everytime I open AC3D, so I'm going to keep using it for free (see the attachment). The file needs to be modified though, (the date and the AC3D path). And make sure not to forget to use the .bat to open the software instead of the .exe.

The routine in step three is implemented on my PC, but I could create it in the actual PSP program...

Apoklepz
August 24th, 2006, 20:39
Would this work for putting a 3D modeled background into a 2D scrolling game?
Thanks.

roberto_h25
August 24th, 2006, 20:43
I guess... if you are using the gu libraries, and everything then it would be possible.

If not, then you could export your 3d model as an image, and use the image.

Creating a whole background in AC3d seems difficult to do, though. For new users of that type of software, like me, it would be a lot of work.

Apoklepz
August 24th, 2006, 20:57
Great, thanks for your response...I'll definately have to give this a lookse sometime. Might prove interesting...Are you familiar with the Strider 2 and Klonoa games on PSone? That's the 3D background on 2D platformer effect that I'm looking for my game.

drEDN4wt
August 24th, 2006, 20:59
Would this give an output usable in luaplayer?

jman420
August 24th, 2006, 21:00
also if anyone is interested, there is a free 30 day trial for Autodesk 3D Studio Max 8, which is the 3D modeling software I use, and it is very good for all 3D modeling applications (however, I dont beleave it will export to that file format mentioned above)

Avalible at:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=5659302&siteID=123112

roberto_h25
August 24th, 2006, 21:08
I'm not familiar with them, but I guess that with the implementation of textures, which I haven't tried yet, some cool backgrounds could be created.

roberto_h25
August 24th, 2006, 21:17
drEDN4wt:

The routine (which I did in python) may work for lua, but obviously some changes would have to be made, because of the different syntaxis. I'm going to post the routine shortly.

jman420:

That software seems interesting... how do you use it to create models for the PSP?

drEDN4wt
August 24th, 2006, 21:27
I have checked the tri format and it would be very easy to import models into lua , with some modification, at least for models coloured per triangle.

jman420
August 25th, 2006, 03:18
using 3DS Max, you have to have a model loader for a file format in which you can export (generaly has to be made from scrach by a coder)

roberto_h25
August 25th, 2006, 04:51
It's similar to what I'm doing then... The program looks more advanced than AC3D (and more difficult to use), but anyways, thanks!

jman420
August 25th, 2006, 18:45
3DS is far superior to all other CAD-3D modeling programs... its the same program that was used for nearly all of the good aspects of 3D effects in film and video games.. it is also the same software used by Industrial Light and Magic (George Lucas' effects department (used for all new Star Wars movies)) so its more, profesional software.. and if you can get used to how to use it.. it becomes the most versitile, easy to use 3D modeling program you can get..

but! AC3D looks very similar to 3DS, so after getting used to AC3D it would be roughly the same to mve onto using 3DS

sorry to go so far offa' topic, I was just trying to help some people out..

still this is an interesting piece of software... if possible, you might want to try to incorperate .obj or another simple vertex posiitioning file format for another kind of model viewer...