PDA

View Full Version : Wishlist: Ten changes to the PSP

wraggster
March 31st, 2007, 13:00
via pspfanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/03/30/ten-changes-to-the-psp/)

We love the PSP. But it's not perfect, is it? Certainly, there are a few things that could be changed. Tech Digest has a wishlist with ten suggestions to Sony. Do you agree with some, or all, of them?

No more UMDs: "faster load times, the increased battery life and the dramatically reduced risk of PSP shuriken injury."
Hard drive, please: "it is high time we thought beyond the limitations of what the Memory Stick format has to offer."
Better Wi-Fi: "let's up the ante with faster wireless connectivity. Because 802.11b was like totally 2005."
Increased battery life: "Currently, you can expect between 4-8 hours of juice from your PSP's battery ... Surely we can do better than this by now."
Brighter screen
No more console ports: "A lot of the blame lies in Sony's non-committal to first-party development on the PSP" (Ironically, their most wanted game is still a port: Gran Turismo 4)
Bluetooth: "the PS3 has Bluetooth, so I'm seeing a clear opportunity for the PSP to double up as full blown wireless controller."
Even better Remote Play: "Give the PSP the power to turn your PS3 on and off. Let me browse content while my flat mates are getting repeatedly pwned at Resistance. And if it eats up their bandwidth, who cares?"
Touch screen? Tilt control? "Why not have some touch screen functionality? But if that's still too limiting, why not have full set of six-axis motion detection to boot?"
PSP-PS3 networked gaming: "PlayStation Home looks like it might be the ideal testing ground for just such an idea; the PS3 can act as the main programming platform for your own virtual home, while the PSP could simply let you hang out in your pad and check out others while you're away form the main console."
Many of these revisions are ambitious, to say the least. While we may not see any of these features until a real PSP2 comes out, it's still fun to dream. What else would you add?

jupchinbom
March 31st, 2007, 13:04
Hm...vibration would be nice.....XD

Triv1um
March 31st, 2007, 13:18
They are redesigning the PSP, they arnt making a PSP2.

Functions like tilt controls and rumble feature will NOT happen, because its not programed in the games, they might when/if a PSP2 comes out.

They will just be cosmetic and non-game changes, like touch screen, faster wifi etc.

AuroEdge
March 31st, 2007, 13:51
So they want to get rid of UMDs in favor of a Hard Drive? A Hard Drive in any portable device is a horrible idea. Any drop over 6 inches puts your HD at risk. Memory Stick Pro Duo is plenty fast and reliable to boot. That doesn't even take into account Sony's new Memory Stick coming that boasts 160Mb/s.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7a/Memory_Stick_Micro.JPG/800px-Memory_Stick_Micro.JPG
Thanks Wikimedia!

sonikku88
March 31st, 2007, 14:01
They really need to put something in there to keep the dust from getting under the screen. It's really frustrating when you're playing your PSP and there's dust under the faceplate reflecting light so you can hardly see anything on the screen.

acn010
March 31st, 2007, 14:05
im in favor of the bluetooth since popular devices include that... besides i want it so i can connect with my bluetooth headphone

Veskgar
March 31st, 2007, 16:15
They really need to put something in there to keep the dust from getting under the screen. It's really frustrating when you're playing your PSP and there's dust under the faceplate reflecting light so you can hardly see anything on the screen.

That is always one of my pet peeves with electronics. It occurred to me with the original Game Boy and was worse on the Sega Game Gear.

However, the PSP seems to be incredibly resistant to dust getting under the screen. Maybe if you use an aftermarket faceplate that doesn't fit or seal correctly, dust may sneak in. I suppose environment may play a role also.

There is no 100% verification from SONY on a new PSP or revision to the current model. And if the homebrew scene can keep trooping along, the current model of the PSP is really great. Not perfect, but what is?

With a better battery and an affordable 8GB memory stick, so much can be done with the PSP.

Basil Zero
March 31st, 2007, 16:25
More space and battery life is what i want mostly.

wiredforpower
March 31st, 2007, 17:13
I like the idea of better WiFi and a brighter screen, but everything else seems like a battery eater to me.

You'd have to add an increased battery life if Sony added most of those.

Buddy4point0
March 31st, 2007, 17:20
Hm...vibration would be nice.....XD

they thought about putting in vibration.
but it couldnt be very strong anyway otherwaise if would shake too much to see the screen.
scince the screen is attached vibration wouldn't be the best additon. plus it would kill the battery

Psumoni
March 31st, 2007, 18:05
10 Must-Have for the PSP 1 1/2
Or, how to make a 100% backwards compatible PSP that has enough new features to make you buy one, even if you own a PSP.
In my opinion, sound and graphics on the PSP are damn good for a portable and are not necessarily in need of any upgrading, instead, other changes are all that are necessary to make this thing "next-gen".

#1 UMD - GONE
Have memory stick replace the UMD, premium models could add a 20-60gig HD. iPod has this much space and doesn't have the additional income source from licensing games that the PSP has, so cost could be more reasonable than you might think. The standard unit could have an empty slot for adding your own 1.8" HD. Games can be loaded to the HD either via games released on memory stick duos (You can pick these things up retail for ~$15/gig, so it'd be very reasonable to expect that Sony could release games on them for near the price of the UMDs) or downloaded via partner wireless hotspots (T-mobile promotion with the 3.30 release anyone?) or USB connection in retailers.
Sony obviously has confidence enough in their hard drive encryption and pay-for-download service to use it in for PS3 releases, so again, no reason not to use this distribution method.
Backwards Compatible: Yes, if you allow transfer to memory sticks on the PSP "Classic", and a way for people to transfer their current UMDs (This could be accomplished through "Classic" PSP --> PS3 --> PSP 1 1/2 or a kiosk station in retailers.)
Additional Cost: Cheaper than current PSP (use this saving for items further down the list)
Additional Sony Benefit: Cost for standard PSP 1 1/2 would be lowered due to removal of UMD drive, and the price of the HD would be tacked on (and marked up, of course) to premium units. Sony could also make money with Sony branded 1.8" "Official" hard drives. Memory Stick Duo proliferation would increase, strengthening the format's position.

#2 DIY PS1 GAME CONVERSION SOFTWARE THROUGH PS3
Dark Alex's firmware has shown that the compatibility has been phenomenal with PSone games. As an added incentive for the PS3-PSP combo, include conversion software as a free download from the Playstation store. Either the original manufacturer, Sony, or the community can be assigned to create loadscreens/documentation & icons for games, which would load just like the album information for CDs if available. Again, using the software on the PS3 allows Sony to control this service, which allows them to use all the original PSone disc verification they want to prevent unhindered piracy.
Backwards compatible: Yes, if you can transfer to memory sticks as well as to the hard drive.
Additional Cost: $0 - They've already got the software done for converting for releasing games on the Playstation Store. Additional Sony Benefit: Strengthen the PS3-PSP combo. EB, GameStop and other retailers would love the sudden interest in used PSone games, and sales of MS Pro Duo sticks, making them more receptive to allowing their business to be used to house the WiFi/USB/UMD->MS Duo Loading kiosk. Also allows for a cheaper distribution method. Another reason for people to get back on official firmware.

#3 DUAL CONTROL STICKS
Our left thumb seems perfectly capable of handling four buttons and an analog stick, why is our right thumb considered incapable of this feat?
Even if you just have the stick control the Shape Buttons for full backward compatibility, this would really make FPS and other games more playable.
Replacement analog stick assemblies are $15 retail, Sony could certainly add this for next to nothing in parts and a slight reprogramming of the firmware.
Backwards Compatible: Sorta, if the second stick is more of a digital d-pad with a control stick like the analog stick that activates the square-triangle-circle-square electrical paths.
Additional Cost: Less than $5
Additional Sony Benefit: Customer satisfaction, developer options.

#4 MOVE THE POWER BUTTON
Anyone else hit the thing and go into sleep mode when performing a Haduken? Throw this on top by the USB port where the UMD drive used to open.
Backwards compatible: Yes
Additional Cost: $0
Additional Sony Benefit: New Features Bullet, customer satisfaction.

#5 IR PORT SWAPPED FOR BLUETOOTH
Sony hasn't used this for anything. Homebrew has made use of it for a universal remote, but get rid of it to cut costs, or swap it out for Bluetooth for Bluetooth headsets.:thumbup:
Backwards compatible: Yes (IR hasn't been used by Sony, so no official functionality is lost)
Additional Cost: I can find them http://shop.vendio.com/luner2006/item/928746693/?s=1175248802
for $2. So <$2 - Cost of IR parts.
Additional Sony Benefit: Sales of Sony branded bluetooth headsets and headphones.

#6 WIRELESS G (at least!)
While a draft-n would be sweet - 270 megabit - wireless G chips can certainly be purchased for the price of the wireless B chip used, and 100% backwards compatibility as well.
Backwards compatible: Yes
Additional Sony Benefit: Allows for use of WiFi at game-loading kiosks to be a tolerable speed.

#7 SIXAXIS
I'm hesitant to suggest this, *UNLESS* it is only allowed to replace the analog control, otherwise you'd break backwards compatibility.
Backwards compatible: Yes, if it only acts as an alternate way to control analog input.
Additional Cost: $40 (Sixaxis controller) - $20 (Dualshock) - $10 (estimated Sixaxis battery) = $10
Additional Sony Benefit: Definitely would give it a another DS-doesn't-have-it feature, and you can't get Sixaxis in press releases without mentioning the PS3.

#8 HIGHER QUALITY VIDEO FILES
No reason to limit video quality, and with the ditching of UMD format video, this makes even more sense.
Backwards Compatible: Yes
Additional Sony Benefit: Another reason for people to get back on official firmware.

#9 MORE SCREEN BRIGHTNESS MODES
If it eats your batteries and you want it bright, it's your choice, however I still find the lowest setting too bright for late-night gaming.
'nuf said on this one.

#10 BATTERY LIFE
Obviously, technological innovations allow for more battery life in approximately the same size package.

CONCLUSION
So the grand total is a equivalent price or possibly even cheaper unit that gains:
Bluetooth.
5x The WiFi speed.
Second control stick.
Hard drive option.

Additionally, the Classic PSP and the PSP 1 1/2 would also have:
Lower cost distribution of games.
"True Playstation Portable" bragging rights with PSone game support.
Reason for people to upgrade to an official firmware.
More reasons to have a PS3-PSP combo in the home.

Part B: Stuff that may sound good but shouldn't go in:
Touchscreen - While it could open up some options, there's no way to keep it backward compatible without developer headaches.
USB Host Mode - It sounds great to use your thumb drive or small hard drive to store music or movies, but the PSP is bulky enough in your pocket without a thumb drive or cord connected to it. It's too likely to get bumped and broken. Memory sticks are cheap enough, and the availability of a HD would make this unnecessary.
Rumble - unnecessary power drain, not available in PSP Classic.
Cell phone - Even when paired with a bluetooth headset, you run into way too many issues with this one, there's a reason the n-gage bombed.

BrokenHaiku
March 31st, 2007, 19:16
More ergonomic placement/shape of the analog stick, would be a big one for me too. As it is now I cramp up after a while, and never get any precision.

csd-san
March 31st, 2007, 19:30
Frankly, I bought a PSP because I thought it was designed well and I'm still impressed by the games it can pull off from in my pocket. Sure it's not perfect by any means, but frankly I can deal with a bit of loading and not being able to have tilt or PDA functions. I look at the PSP and, yeah, it doesn't have everything, but it's a huge step up from the Gameboy, and that's something undeniable.

If I could make one change to the PSP, it would simply be a bit smaller. Otherwise I'm happy. Though I do want a bigger memory stick =D

Gene
March 31st, 2007, 20:44
I wish there was a toaster add-on for my psp. that way i could eat toast while playing:)

brunobelo
March 31st, 2007, 21:25
I agree with all of them, except for the bluetooth. Bluetooth is useless.

chrono75
March 31st, 2007, 21:54
Wow dude, this list makes you look spoiled. Man, they need to make all vehicles in reality drive every passenger while the passenger is hooked up to a virtual reality of them gettin' low with a super sexy guy/girl. Man, that's what we need. THIS LIST IS FRIGGIN' OFF THE WALL!! Of course we want all of that stuff! I love how you included a PSP harddrive, a brighter screen and longer battery life. LOOOOL man, you need to do more research on actual technology not just put up some wishful thinking list. The only good wish you made was to substitute a memory stick for the UMD which can already be done, man. KIDS THESE DAYS!! HOLY FRIGGIN - - the future is so screwed... =S

emuking
March 31st, 2007, 22:10
so much wishful thinking and hopeless dreams make me smile :D

Broadus
March 31st, 2007, 23:07
I don't know where to start with that idiotic list. Not that the guy who made it will be able to read anything I say. He neglects a major necessity like a second analog nub and instead goes for suggesting that the PSP get a bunch of useless changes it doesn't need, like a touch screen and "magic tilt power". Yes, I often find myself wishing I could tilt my PSP or touch the screen rather than just using the damn buttons.
Also, I might as well put this in my sig, I say it so much: Ports aren't bad. They're not bad at all. Even slightly. The thing is, the only games that get ported were either uninteresting or just plain bad whenever they were brand-new non-ports on in-home consoles, OR ports of games that were potentially good on consoles are screwed up in major, unforgiveable ways that ruins their enjoyability. The Godfather had free roaming taken out entirely, utterly ruining that game, and Star Wars Battlefront 2 was missing more than half of the stuff from its console counterparts. Think of how awesome those games would've been had they remained exactly like their console counterparts (except in graphics quality, of course). I would've KILLED for a port of a Call of Duty game. Roads to Victory was cool, but not as cool as a port of any other Call of Duty game would've been.
Anyway, ports and whatnot are not the reasons for bad games and bad sales. Illegal downloading is the reason for bad sales, which leads to game companies not wanting to spend lots of money making good games if people aren't going to pay for them in order to enjoy them.

paul1991
March 31st, 2007, 23:29
So, you sony fans want like a DS2?

foxzoner
March 31st, 2007, 23:42
well... I wouldn“t like the vibration and the tilt touch.

Amiga
April 1st, 2007, 09:35
digital tv reception would be good.

jaws365
April 1st, 2007, 16:43
Would be nice if Sony put more effort in the controller. Playing games on various consoles/computers even for hours was never painful. But with PSP I became a mongo after a month.

TimmyJ
April 2nd, 2007, 00:57
I love my PSP, but there's definitely room for imporvement. Here's my own little list:

1. Keep UMD
I'm getting tired of every idiot under the sun screaming that they want some sort of enormous hard drive in place of UMDs. No. That's the simple answer, can anyone that pushes for that possibly comprehend how much Sony would be lambasted for such a horrific decision?
The fact is that there are only two real problems with UMDs: battery life and load times. How could this be better solved than entirely removing the UMD slot? Add a 1.8GB cache for UMDs, this way there would be no need whatsoever for the disk to constantly spin, it could simply be cached and played off of the much faster flash.

2. Get on the ball with PS1 games
We have some decent official PS1 downloads, but the majority of decent PS1 games come either from our own collections or from the Internet, there are so many great PS1 games out there, why not give us all access to them?

3. Definitely dual analogue nubs
If it's for a second version of the PSP then let the second stick work in place of the face buttons, if there's a second PSP.. just give us a second nub.
Also, I wouldn't mind 'feeling' the analogue nub a bit more, currently it's difficult to move it slightly i.e. it's either all or nothing. Please fix that Sony.

4. Shift the power button and USB port
Having the power button in a position that wouldn't lead to me locking the buttons just as the dragon charges towards me would be hugely helpful. Having the USB port along the bottom of the device along with the DC and headphone ports would be perfect for a cradle type of device.

5. Use the IR port or get rid. Add Bluetooth
If the PSP came with the ability to control my PS2 via IR then I'd be a happy chappy, Bluetooth for some wireless headphones would be more than welcome too.

6. OLED screen
I've converted a whole bunch of my favourite films to the PSP's format, but can't enjoy any that involve a decent amount of movement/contrast. The amount of ghosting that goes on with a GAMING screen is simply unacceptable, especially considering that the screen was always one of the PSP's big selling points.
Making the screen OLED in place of LCD would allow for a higher contrast, a larger degree of viewing, and better battery life. All positives in my book.

7. Clamshell
I don't want to feel the need to put my PSP in a case before I move it anywhere, making the PSP a clamshell device would rectify this as the screen and buttons would both be covered. Take into consideration that aside from the size of it's components (something that ought to be reduced fairly soon) the screen's current position is a limiting factor in reducing the size of the PSP, avoiding thumb prints all over it just because I pressed the square button would be a welcome side-effect too.

8. Two memory stick slots/spare MS holder
Most people carry around or have a couple of memory sticks, being able to use or hold both of them in their intended device would be a brilliant convenience.

9. Music player
Sony wants to compete with the iPod right? The most popular music player on the market right? And they hope to do that with the most basic music playing function available?
I use my PSP for music all the time, but let's not pretend for a minute that it's got any of the bells and whistles that ought to be standard now.

10. Pay the PSP some attention
Throughout the runup to the PS3 I've felt like the third wheel with my PSP. It doesn't get anywhere near the first party support that it should do, and if it does then why aren't I aware of it? I follow PSP news more than the average Joe but I barely know of any games coming out for it apart from the biggest of biggies.
If the PSP has the games, market them. If the PSP hasn't got the games, make them.

Bonus: Lower the game prices
Currently it costs £40 for a new PS3/X360 game and £25-£30 for a new PSP game. Currently the development costs for PS3/X360 games are far greater than those for the PSP (or PS2 for that matter). Stop charging me through the nose for PORTABLE games.
I don't know anyone who feels it's justifiable to buy a portable game for the same price as a fully featured PS2 game, I certainly don't.

AM4A1
April 2nd, 2007, 03:09
8. Two memory stick slots/spare MS holder
Most people carry around or have a couple of memory sticks, being able to use or hold both of them in their intended device would be a brilliant convenience.

I would love this feature the best. :thumbup:

StuiWooi
April 2nd, 2007, 05:39
Firstly id like to shoot any developers who (if they are planning on making a update to psp hardware) that listen to things like touch screen and 2 analogue nubs - I mean what do you want two for? Playing FPSs? Completely unecessary...

What the PSP does need:
=A screen with a higher refresh rate
=Built in holder for at least another memory stick (maybe even have 2 plugged in)
=Organisation of music (say by artist) without having to create all the folders manually
=Inclusion of free video converting software in the box (admittedly it's easy enough to find yourself, but I've had to show a few less computer literate friends how to go about putting videos on)
=Possibly move around components (I've personally never turned it of by accident, but see how it could happen - put all switches on the top, and I'd like it if the analogue nub was above the d-pad)

csd-san
April 2nd, 2007, 06:57
TimmyJ, I agree with you a lot. While I made my opinion of the PSP clear in an earlier post, I look at this as a wishlist for a PSP2.

However, I have a few constructive comments :)

1. Keep UMD
I'm getting tired of every idiot under the sun screaming that they want some sort of enormous hard drive in place of UMDs. No. That's the simple answer, can anyone that pushes for that possibly comprehend how much Sony would be lambasted for such a horrific decision?
The fact is that there are only two real problems with UMDs: battery life and load times. How could this be better solved than entirely removing the UMD slot? Add a 1.8GB cache for UMDs, this way there would be no need whatsoever for the disk to constantly spin, it could simply be cached and played off of the much faster flash.

I agree, sort of. The UMD isn't a bad format. But it's not good either. There's no problem with bootleg UMDs, and the little disks hold a surprising amount of information, plus you don't have to baby them too much to keep them in good condition. They just need a little more applications, instead of just limiting the format to the PSP. However with that said, the read times are simply too lengthy for portable use in some people's minds.

Your solution is a silly band-aid to cover a format flaw. There's no way loading and entire disc into internal solid state memory should be acceptable. Not only would adding the memory add to production costs, but it's much less of a waste to stream information from the media already at hand (UMD). The drawback of slow loading should have been rectified during the initial creation and development of the UMD. Besides, slow loading is subjective. I don't mind waiting a few moments to load Grand Theft Auto, personally.

As for the battery issues, that's due to the nature of using a disc based medium: it has to be spun to be read. Solid state is better at this admittedly, as it is for read times. But frankly, when the PSP came out, the trade off wasn't decent enough to move away from disk based mediums. UMDs are a lot cheaper and a lot bigger than using solid state memory. At least, this held more true during the period when the PSP was released. Thus, it makes sense that Sony took the route it did, even though it has drawbacks.

6. OLED screen
I've converted a whole bunch of my favourite films to the PSP's format, but can't enjoy any that involve a decent amount of movement/contrast. The amount of ghosting that goes on with a GAMING screen is simply unacceptable, especially considering that the screen was always one of the PSP's big selling points.
Making the screen OLED in place of LCD would allow for a higher contrast, a larger degree of viewing, and better battery life. All positives in my book.

Yes, the PSP screen kind of sucks in certain areas. OLED would be certainly nice, but it doesn't have a very long life compared to LCD. So once again, it's a subjective trade-off. The technology is improving, so maybe someday, but it might be too soon to make a move to OLED.

benn
April 2nd, 2007, 08:45
personally , i think the load times on some psp games are horrible - most noticable on ea games.
it doesnt matter what sony does - as long as it involves disc loading, some devs will always screw it up. but for the graphics, sounds etc, i would prefer disc to cartridge anyday.