PDA

View Full Version : A second chance : Working with 2.60

jspec
April 23rd, 2007, 13:00
So long story short : The bottom rung of society decided to smash up and rob my car. Among the casualties was my 2.80 PSP. I recently got a 2.60 PSP and am looking to start fresh.
Here are some questions I have.

1) On my 2.80 I had NES roms working 100%, and SNES roms working at maybe 33%. Is 2.60 more accepting of SNES emulation? What firmware will run both NES and SNES the best?

2) The 2.60 has a 'Digital Camera' folder in PHOTOS. Anyway to get rid of it? Won't let me delete in PSP, and doesn't show up on PC... Must be some little trick to it

All I use my PSP for is music really. I'll run an emulator once in a while, and check the internet just as rarely. I'm just trying to decide what firmware/emulator setup to run on the new PSP to improve on my old setup. People on here have experience that I don't, and I'm very hesitant to update before I know what I want to do.

JKKDARK
April 23rd, 2007, 13:23
The enulators will be working as in 2.8. Personally I would prefer to use a dark alex's custom firmware, you can use the latest updates from Sony and run your homebrew without problems.

jspec
April 23rd, 2007, 13:40
My first post on here, and I get a reply from Germany!
I'm located in Canada. Cheers, +rep for your kind response.

So updating to 3.40 and using custom firmware is a good idea then?
I recall when I did homebrew/firmware on my old PSP, updating was looked down on. Since then, I have lost track though. Has Sony made the updates acceptable?

jb2kred
April 23rd, 2007, 13:56
do not update straight to 3.40 using sony updates
goto dax.lan.sh and you the 3.40 update application to create the custom firmware

jspec
April 23rd, 2007, 14:33
Great, thanks for the link and the advice.

I can see that I'll need to downgrade to 1.50 before I go any further.

Axelius
April 23rd, 2007, 17:13
I can see that I'll need to downgrade to 1.50 before I go any further.

Another reply from a German guy:
Yes you have to go back to 1.50 before you can upgrade to any custom firmware. But you can decide the way you want to take. You can downgrade directly from 2.60, but I think you need an unpatched copy of GTA liberty city stories for this (GTA lcs has a bug that allows you to run homebrew). Or you could just upgrade to 2.71 or 2.8 and run the downgrader from there (you don't need gta for this)
you could even go to 3.03 and use the 3.03 downgrader (but this one needs gta again)

I for one used the 2.8 downgrader and it worked perfectly. (I think the chance of bricking is almost 0% when you don't make any stupid mistakes...)

As soon you're at 1.50 you can upgrade to the custom firmwares 2.71 SE, 3.03OE, 3.10OE, 3.30OE or 3.40OE (all made by dark alex) They give you the advantages of all the later firmwares, but you don't lose the ability of running homebrew. And one more cool feature of 3.03OE and later is that you can run (almost) all your old PS1 games at full speed on the psp.

LilSwish722
April 23rd, 2007, 21:00
Axelius is right. But if you have an unpatched version of GTA: LCS ( has a 2.00 Update on it) then upgrade to 3.03 and use that downgrader. its much easier. i have 18 Downgrades (all successful) by the 3.03 Downgrader. If not, then use the 2.80 or the 2.71 downgrader...depends on which one you want.

jspec
April 23rd, 2007, 22:05
Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

I went 2.60 --> 2.71 --> 1.50 --> 3.40. +rep for being helpful to the noob :)

LilSwish722
April 23rd, 2007, 22:30
Hey...I hope you went to 3.40OE-A and not Sony's Official 3.40

Axelius
April 23rd, 2007, 23:03
Hey...I hope you went to 3.40OE-A and not Sony's Official 3.40
I just thought the same...but I don't think he is that stupid...

jspec
April 23rd, 2007, 23:12
I actually stopped when I updated to 2.80

2.80 does everything I need it to. Doing anything else is a waste of my time.
Thanks again for everyones help! Cheers

*EDIT*
As much as I wanted to downgrade, then update to custom firmware, the process was simply not worth it. Having to work with all these independantly created files, and the incredibly bad instructions they come with, was not worth the risk of "bricking" my new PSP just to run NES and SNES games once in a while. If I were to take more advantage of the firmware, I'd try to get through it. As it is, I'm fine with playing Contra on the big screen.

After going through this I can definitely see why people say that Sony killed the PSP.

LilSwish722
April 24th, 2007, 02:37
Dude, Get a Custom Firmware. I'll give you the files need to upgrade to OE. Besides, full speed PS1 emulation...not worth it WHAAAAA?

jspec
April 24th, 2007, 12:57
After reading more about custom firmware on the forums, I need to get it on my PSP! I had no idea people were playing around with the variety of roms/emulators and music options that are available. When I did this last time, the NES emulator was brand new. N64?? PS1?!? SEGA MASTER SYSTEM! Mine was ruined in a flood many years ago :( Seems like version 3.03 OE is best for me.
I'm sure if I can do well in my stratigraphical analysis course at the university, I can figure this out. Wish me luck LOL

jspec
April 24th, 2007, 13:12
My psp has the "C1003" or TA82 hardware. From what I understand, is it safe to use the downgrader that I found by searching the forum?

Here it is: http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/1011

If so, it seems very straightforward from here....

Zion
April 24th, 2007, 13:24
just make sure you use the correct downgrader for the ta082 motherboard and you will be fine :)

remember research loads before doing anything with your psp and you will have nothing to worry about ;)

jspec
April 24th, 2007, 22:17
I'm trying ... It's a bit frustrating though.
Read this that I found in the 2.80 downgrader

The authors don't get responsabilized of any damage that may happen by the use of this unlicensed software

LOL are you kidding me? Are these 8 year old kids that write these programs?
They don't tell you where to put any of the folders either. Just "Run this" and then "Run that".... No wonder none of my friends have bothered to do this with their own PSP's. I'll give it some more time.

Axelius
April 24th, 2007, 22:41
There is an easy installer by csfreakno1, that worked fine for me. You can't do many mistakes with it, and all files you need come with it. (I'm not completely sure if it works on TA82...I have a non-TA82...)

By the way in all readmes of programs that write to the flash of the psp it says "use at own risk"

EDIT: Uhh, I just found out that the downgrader I used isn't compatible with TA82-motherboards, sorry...

jspec
April 24th, 2007, 22:44
*WHEW*

Lot's of work! I got my PSP to 1.50 just now. I think I'm on the homestretch

That's ok Axelius, thanks for the insight anyway. I found one that works with my cursed mobo :) Now all I need to do is choose an optimal firmware to update my 1.50 system with....

weirdelf
April 24th, 2007, 22:53
Probably your best bet would be 3.30 oe or 3.40 oe.

jspec
April 24th, 2007, 23:00
That's what you would suggest? I'd like to ask for opinions from people, and I'm going to leave this thread for a couple days before I move on from 1.50. All I want is to be able to emulate as many console games as possible....

I saw someone post a list of all the consoles he had on his PSP, and there must have been 20 of them. I'd love to be able to play all those games (though I know there are catches and glitches).

So if anyone can suggest the firmware most acceptable to emulation, that would be helpful to me. Thanks again! Lot's of good help on this forum. You guys are great.

Zion
April 25th, 2007, 01:09
im on 3.40oea and highly recommend it.

You can do all you have said that you want to do on that firmware :)

LilSwish722
April 25th, 2007, 02:43
Yea, I agree with Zion. I mean, Top Menus, New firmware capabilites...get 3.40OE-A

jspec
April 25th, 2007, 20:48
Thanks for the advice again :)

Now running 3.40 OEA, and looking forward to using its maximum capabilities.

+rep for your patience and good advice. Thanks!

Zion
April 25th, 2007, 22:59
glad i could help :)

LilSwish722
April 26th, 2007, 21:56
Thanks for the advice again :)

Now running 3.40 OEA, and looking forward to using its maximum capabilities.

+rep for your patience and good advice. Thanks!

No Problem man. If you need help with something, ask me and i should be able to help.

Oh, Your +rep was a neutral rep. Your rep wasn't high enough to give me a Positive or negative rep. But it's all good man. It's the thought that counts. :thumbup: