PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo drop support for the NES

JKKDARK
October 18th, 2007, 03:41
via Play.tm (http://play.tm/story/13918)

Those of you who still own a working NES will have to take extra special care of it from now on. Nintendo have announced they’re no longer offering support for the old favourite.

The report, first noticed by Arcade Renaissance, also says that Nintendo have plans to start winding down support for the Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Gameboy, and Gameboy Pocket consoles in the future.

We're not quite sure what 'support' means, would Nintendo have still repaired your NES if asked up till recently? However, with the huge number of emulators and retro compilations available, not to mention download services like the Wii's Virtual Console and Xbox Live Marketplace, there's still plenty of ways to enjoy the massive back catalogue of old-school titles from all those consoles.

We'd love to hear from you if you still own an ancient console; do you ever actually get it out and use it? I have to admit my old Spectrum +2 remains safely packed away in the loft.

lightningquickguy14
October 18th, 2007, 04:21
Wow. I didn't know they still repaired them anyway. I guess they don't now. Wonder what happened to mine...

Veskgar
October 18th, 2007, 05:18
Thank you Ruka for NesterJ.

I have version 1.11 running very nicely on my Slim PSP.

Thank you Nintendo for being such a pioneer in the 80's and giving us the timeless NES.

CoinCollector
October 18th, 2007, 05:22
I haven't used my NES in a long time, maybe a year. I just moved though, and I found a very good used games store that sells a lot of classic games, including NES games. I think I'll be picking some up pretty soon.

Basil Zero
October 18th, 2007, 05:24
Wow

never knew they still had support for those systems these past few years 0_0

but ya,I still have my old n64, sold my SNES long time ago though

and ya, thankful for the coders!!!!

Kakashi987
October 18th, 2007, 05:53
Hmmm...I played my NES every now and again when I was still living in Australia, but I tended to play my SNES more (when I wasn't playing my PS2 and GC). But, I think because I'd already finished all the good NES games released in Oz.
However, I play NES games in Japan from time to time on my DS with PocketNES

Johnny Rash
October 18th, 2007, 06:48
I still play my SNES.
There's just something about playing Super Metroid and Contra fullscreen.

I still play on a NES when I get drunk at my friend Tim's house.
Super Mario 3...so many good times before we found Guitar Hero. :p

devmas
October 18th, 2007, 08:13
I still have and use my NES. As a matter of fact, it is hooked up in my dorm's suite area, along with a PS2 and a Gamecube, and my SNES. We play it sometimes, I beat the original Legend of Zelda on it the other day.

paul3100
October 18th, 2007, 08:25
just shows how committed nintendo are to there games in general if they still support so many old systems, or did till now!

Then again they probably charged a hefty amount for the service.

paul

quzar
October 18th, 2007, 08:50
Thank you Ruka for NesterJ.

I have version 1.11 running very nicely on my Slim PSP.

Thank you Nintendo for being such a pioneer in the 80's and giving us the timeless NES.

You mean you thank Darren Ranalli, Takeda Toshiya, and Mikami Kana ? Authors of Nester, unofficial Nester, and NesterJ?

Airdevil
October 18th, 2007, 10:05
I still have my Megadrive plugged up and ready to go, sitting next to an xbox, gamecube and a PS2 on the shelf above.

It is its home, and i do not plan on moving it anytime soon, so many classics, so little time.

mistac
October 18th, 2007, 11:09
I still have all my ancient consoles ready to plug in for the occasional beer drinking retro-night.

Most used are the Atari 2600, Atari Jaguar, Sega Mega Drive (Genesis) and sometimes the Sega Master System.

I could emulate them but it just doesn't feel the same to an old guy like me.

Johnny Rash
October 18th, 2007, 11:54
I still have all my ancient consoles ready to plug in for the occasional beer drinking retro-night.

Most used are the Atari 2600, Atari Jaguar, Sega Mega Drive (Genesis) and sometimes the Sega Master System.

I could emulate them but it just doesn't feel the same to an old guy like me.

I hear ya' there!

Nothing like drinking and showing your friends weird tricks from Super Mario 3.

Although, it's funny to watch people play Singstar! :rofl:

SpooForBrains
October 18th, 2007, 12:17
The NES gets hooked up fairly regularly because the kids love to play Super Mario.

I also have a megadrive, an N64 and a dreamcast. They get about as much play time as the xbox - which is not a lot, since I don't have the time to game as much as I'd like to.

Sonny_Jim
October 18th, 2007, 12:38
I have an Atari Jaguar sitting next to the TV that gets plugged in for a quick blast on Tempest 2000 every once in while.

Emulators are great but nothing beats playing on the original hardware.

armyStrong
October 18th, 2007, 13:06
I've got a top-loading NES at home that I bust out occasionally...Never taken it with me to school though. Nester in its various forms tend to keep my classic gaming craves satisfied.

drock82
October 18th, 2007, 14:07
i still have my snes which i plan on keeping for collectors purposes-its good to keep your consoles,i regret selling all the ones i had

my current consoles
snes
playstation 2
psp
xbox360

bah
October 18th, 2007, 14:43
The top loading NES was great as the cart connector was better, the lack of AV output (that the original had) bites a lot harder now than it did when it was released though. :(

Sonicboy 101
October 18th, 2007, 17:29
I don't play on my NES anymore... I haven't played it in a while to be honest.

despoteuodia
October 18th, 2007, 19:08
I love my nes and snes. can't quite get duck hunter on the psp... love playing them portable on my psp, but i still have the old systems... still got my sega genesis too! sonic on a psp is nice, but 54" of tv is nice when at home. ^^

acn010
October 18th, 2007, 19:24
i think mine is safely put in one of the boxes stored in my basement... lol hope it works :P

Veskgar
October 19th, 2007, 05:06
I still have an NES and Super Nintendo but fighting with NES cartridges getting them to read is such a hassle. I find great enjoyment playing NES on the PSP. The original Zelda is my weakness. Nothing more magical than launching the game and hearing that opening theme music.

You mean you thank Darren Ranalli, Takeda Toshiya, and Mikami Kana ? Authors of Nester, unofficial Nester, and NesterJ?

I stand corrected. Of course credit needs to be given where credit is due. I hadn't researched the origins of those emulators and received NesterJ for PSP on Ruka's site.

jamotto
October 19th, 2007, 06:02
Still have my NES, but that 72 pin connector is getting mighty flaky. Still like playing all those classic games like Section Z, Castlevania 3, Duck Hunt, Gyromite and Sky Shark. Shame it's so hard to find replacement parts for it.

osgeld
October 19th, 2007, 07:03
http://www.estarland.com/Search.search.NES+REPLACEMENT.sorder.wi.splatform. 37.html

:thumbup:

Tripsk8er333
October 19th, 2007, 17:57
Hey guys, I still have my NES and SNES Guess what they still work. You have to clean them out every now and then,( I.e. Blow out the system and carddridges ). But besides that I love the NES and SNES! I hope they will become Vaulable now!
I have not played Them in a Year because I don't what to harm them, so I play my NES and SNES games on My DS.

VIVA-LA-NES!!!!!

gamerremag
October 19th, 2007, 23:04
if you only have a NES for a gaming console,then you are one poor bastard XD i didnt even know they still had support for GBs let alone SNES :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: thanks JKK you made my day. plus im seeing that 30 days of night movie, so today is goin pretty darn good :) :D