PDA

View Full Version : PS3 FW 2.0 breaking PS3s?

Shrygue
November 14th, 2007, 19:12
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=175645)

It's being reported that the latest major PS3 firmware update, version 2.0, could be at the heart of a problem that's causing a number of PS3s to cease working.

A notably large number of PS3 owners have hit the official site to voice concerns of their PS3 functioning incorrectly since installing the update.

Complains range from a small as slowed menu navigation and slow PS Store download speeds to more critical errors such as games consistently crashing or even the PS3 completely losing the ability to read discs.

Others have also complained on the official forum that their PS3 keeps turning itself on due to the new Remote Start feature in FW 2.0 (which allows you to turn on your PS3 wirelessly via the internet for Remote Play via a PSP).

It's worth noting that the timing of the errors could be completely coincidental. It's not uncommon for users who experience errors soon after an update to point the finger of blame at the new firmware.

We've checked our updated PS3s - everything's working just fine (phew). Voice any issues you may have experienced in the comments below.

Sony was not available for comment at the time of writing but we'll keep trying.

Sonicboy 101
November 14th, 2007, 19:14
Yeah, a whole load of people were complaining this at the Playstation forums.
I don't have a PS3 so I can't really see if it's true, but if it is Sony needs to get a fix working ASAP.

Shrygue
November 14th, 2007, 19:16
For me, my Playstation 3 seems to be okay, I see no problems at the moment...

Sonicboy 101
November 14th, 2007, 19:25
Apparently (http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=2144203&view=by_date_ascending&page=2), 60GB PS3's are more vulnerable to these issues. 80 GB seems to be fine after the update.

F9zDark
November 14th, 2007, 19:58
Mine seems fine. I have only played COD3 on it since the update. Anyone posting these problems post a manufacturing date?

Reason being is that at some point in the last 8 months Sony opted to put in a fewer bladed fan, resulting in more fan noise when the console heats up and the fans turn on. Perhaps during this change something else was changed.

MANCHESTERUNITEDDAN
November 14th, 2007, 21:10
My ps3 has shut itself down once since updating but it could also be fifa 08 which also has an update

splodger15
November 14th, 2007, 21:29
Ever since I have updated it will never stay logged into PSN it will just log out

pibs
November 14th, 2007, 21:34
Mines working fine 60gb NTSC model

turnerl
November 14th, 2007, 22:38
Mines working fine 60gb PAL model

Tree
November 14th, 2007, 23:26
I have a 60Gb and fifa 08 nd mine anit done nothing bad :S

MANCHESTERUNITEDDAN where do you come from ? becoz ur the only person on the forum with a prob it might be because the filmware from ur contry went a bit wrong or something

Mazu
November 15th, 2007, 00:07
3 freezes since i started playing Assains Creed on my 60GB PS3 ; ; (USA)

_X_Zero
November 15th, 2007, 07:19
my 60GB died just 3 days ago. good think i bought warrenty so now i got a 80Gb but thats Still Some BS!!!!!!!

mnuhaily22
November 15th, 2007, 08:09
My PS3 keeps turning on and then off with remote start, it's kind of annoying....
But I think it is normal...

jonezybaby
November 15th, 2007, 11:55
60gb (250gb lol) Euro console just crashes every now and then.

iniquitous_beast
November 15th, 2007, 14:47
I updated my 20gb a couple nights ago, but I immediately turned it off and did nothing more with it. Now, I'm worried.

People who have problems: Please tell us the way that you installed your update. Also, tell us if you keep your ps3 connected to the internet at all times or not. The issue might be related to how the update was acquired or the reported oversensitivity of the Wake-on-LAN.

I'll give Sony a couple days to acknowledge and resolve the issue. If they don't, then it probably isn't as widespread as the internet would have us believe. Most people who report the problems start seeing them a few days after updating. Perhaps the firmware is slowly corrupting itself?

Napalm-Death
November 15th, 2007, 17:05
Ever since I have updated it will never stay logged into PSN it will just log out

And here I thought it was my internet connection..

bullhead
November 15th, 2007, 18:32
having no problems on 60gb ps3. i updated via a memory stick by creating a folder in its root called, ps3/update/ (HERES WHERE I PUT THE FIRMWARE UPDATE)
Anyway, all works fine.

bull, x

MANCHESTERUNITEDDAN
November 15th, 2007, 22:14
I have a 60Gb and fifa 08 nd mine anit done nothing bad :S

MANCHESTERUNITEDDAN where do you come from ? becoz ur the only person on the forum with a prob it might be because the filmware from ur contry went a bit wrong or something

Hi Tree

I'm from UK and my PS3 is a pal 60gb model

DPyro
November 15th, 2007, 22:17
Remote start issue is related to your router. Fix your router config.

Triv1um
November 15th, 2007, 22:59
I have UK 60gb brought on release, and i havent had one crash as of yet. Since 2.0 update, everything seems to be faster than it was before.

Napalm-Death
November 16th, 2007, 02:47
The only problems I'm having with this update are the occasional freezes and problems staying connected to the PSN.

F9zDark
November 16th, 2007, 04:59
Having just gotten Assassin's Creed for my birthday, I have played it extensively. It crashed on me once, after I messed around with setting a player waypoint; having done that again and thus it hasn't crashed.

Anyone playing AC and have used the player set waypoint may want to try not using it and see what happens.