PDA

View Full Version : DSwifiTV 0.002 beta

wraggster
January 29th, 2008, 00:17
News/release from bboyzahid (http://dswifitv.blogspot.com/)

As you know, DS is already capable of streaming audio, so i thought why not video?

If this project is successful, it should be able to stream live tv on the ds.

I'm not much of a programmer so i'll need help creating this.
Whoever is willing to participate in this project feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Rebrek
January 29th, 2008, 01:09
So this build doesn't do anything except advertise... right?

masterchief929
January 29th, 2008, 02:02
LAME!!!!!!!! this is not a release. dont download it because it just says he needs help with it.

TheLazy1
January 29th, 2008, 02:06
If I remember correctly the ds wifi library isn't very fast, I really doubt you could stream video at any usable bitrate.

iofthestorm
January 29th, 2008, 02:28
Yeah, I haven't even been able to get music streaming properly without needing to buffer every 15 seconds, so I doubt video would be possible.

m-p{3}
January 29th, 2008, 02:39
As the Nintendo DS libwifi doesn't support IP fragmenting, it won't be possible to have a decent video framerate/buffering. the DS can stream audio, and that's about it.

dark.nowhere
January 29th, 2008, 06:30
yeah... no chance. it would be sweet if it were possible, but the ds's wifi is too slow for this. in future models maybe...

Jayenkai
January 29th, 2008, 10:46
"this guy knows no programming language"

He seems to have done a good enough job already.
True, he might not have managed to get things working as advertised, but he has done the following..

A) Learned C
B) Learned PALib (I think)
C) Learned Networking
D) Learned Audio Steaming
E) Had to deal with the DS's slow Networking.
F) Had to deal with the DS's audio buffer.

And quite frankly, that's a ****ing lot.

If he couldn't code before, then watch him like a hawk, because he's learning pretty damn fast...

stevo11185
January 29th, 2008, 12:14
"this guy knows no programming language"

He seems to have done a good enough job already.
True, he might not have managed to get things working as advertised, but he has done the following..

A) Learned C
B) Learned PALib (I think)
C) Learned Networking
D) Learned Audio Steaming
E) Had to deal with the DS's slow Networking.
F) Had to deal with the DS's audio buffer.

And quite frankly, that's a ****ing lot.

If he couldn't code before, then watch him like a hawk, because he's learning pretty damn fast...

how about no....all this does is advertise that he needs help. That is hardly learning all that crrap you wrote down

Sonny_Jim
January 29th, 2008, 12:48
Erm, I'd hate to rain on the parade here, but everything I've read suggests that watching decent quality streaming video on the DS isn't going to happen.

The fastest transfer rate I've seen over Wifi if around 120kB/s, to fit a video and audio stream into that would be very hard indeed.

simonjhall
January 29th, 2008, 13:21
I get seriously poor transfer rates when using the homebrew wifi library...video sounds a bit unlikely!

mariocdl
January 29th, 2008, 16:41
Someone did something like this, but with a webcam, and you got worse than 1fps, without sound. Nice idea, doubt it will work

adhdyoshi
January 29th, 2008, 17:39
I was able to stream very low quality videos on dialup as I recall with only a little bit of extra buffering, and that's like 5 kilobytes a second >:P

Since DS seems to go at about 15 kilobytes a seconds (for me at least) I don't think that the trouble would be with the network speed, but rather with the codec and processing power.

edit: oh and by the way 0.003 is out

jay001
January 29th, 2008, 19:57
is this a joke, why are you posting releases when they are nothing.

this project is pointless and you will find that out soon enough when u read all the comments complaining about the stupidness.

i swear there has been endless amounts of people trying to convince a team to come together to create something that is theoreticly impossible. i.e. DS TV. (unless you want something like the DS webcam, which is hardly TV quality)

im looking forward to seeing where this project ends up. :thumbup::rofl:

spinal_cord
January 29th, 2008, 20:43
Why is it theoretically impossible? is the plan for real-time playback or download then play, like every online video on demand website does? the way I see it, if you're going to stream video in the same way that someone like youtube does, then it's perfectly possible, all you need, is to have the video in a format you can use. Just because the ds wifi is slow, does not mean you can only have low bitrate video, it just means that it will take longer to download.

short25
January 29th, 2008, 20:51
you this guy is trying to do people a favor by at least trying.come on now, you got to give him credit for that at least.

DanTheManMS
January 30th, 2008, 02:03
Someone did something like this, but with a webcam, and you got worse than 1fps, without sound. Nice idea, doubt it will work
Yeah, I made a quick video about it just for grins at http://dannysied.googlepages.com/DSstreamingpossibilities.mpg

Sound's coming out of the speakers, but it gives you an idea of the max speed this program could send pictures to the DS and display them at.

TheLazy1
January 30th, 2008, 04:33
Video only streaming at a low bit rate may be possible with xvid.
If the author wants to try then good for him, I'd rather have a micropolis port though. *hint* *hint*

jay001
January 30th, 2008, 08:21
im thinking, why get people excited with stupid releases when it clearly wont happen. time will tell, u'll see.