Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSP piracy fears resurface as v2.00 is cracked

Blog Entries

Default PSP piracy fears resurface as v2.00 is cracked

Source - GI.Biz

Hackers have found a security loophole in the most recent version of Sony's PlayStation Portable firmware which may allow the console to run homebrew software, emulators and pirated games again.

The loophole is down to a bug in the new feature that allows users to set their own wallpaper on the device, and can be exploited by placing a specially modified image file on the Memory Stick in the PSP.

At present, only a range of simple applications such as "Hello World" text printers and a version of Atari's classic Pong game have been created that run through this exploit, as hackers only have 64kb of space to use for their code.

However, that limitation is unlikely to hold back homebrew application creators - and pirates - for very long.

"Once you can run unsigned code on the device at all, the floodgates are open," according to a development source who spoke to GamesIndustry.biz this morning. "The chances are that they'll be able to run full size apps and games on version 2 firmware within a couple of weeks."

This will be unwelcome news to Sony, which issued a number of firmware updates last month to try and crack down on earlier security loopholes which allowed homebrew and pirate software to be used on the PSP.

Version 2.00 encouraged users to upgrade by including a web browser, wireless picture sharing and a host of other new functionality, but also beefed up the security on the device significantly - a step which now appears to have been in vain.

(How long before Sony release the 2.5 firmware)

DCEmu Newbie

Its bound to happen. Especially since Sony was stupid enough to include libTIFF without fixing the KNOWN buffer overflow bug.... that was fixed in May 2005. I guess it was probably over looked when they originally were programming it.

It seems from the article that with the last expiolt is that alot of the news organization see that the only reason that people hack the psp or any console for that matter is to pirate games. That what I took from this article .

Blog Entries

yeah the last thing the homebrew community needs is a UMD loader for v2.0, Sony arent happy with the PSP homebrew scene as it is

Quote Originally Posted by wraggster
    yeah the last thing the homebrew community needs is a UMD loader for v2.0, Sony arent happy with the PSP homebrew scene as it is
    sadly, that dosnt stop the $#@!s of the scene.

DCEmu Newbie

I for one have no plans for playing any psp games through my memstick, and neither do most people who run homebrew on their psp i think. That is what Sony is afraid of right? the umd loader. I mean the emulators only help Sony. And I find it hard to believe that many people will be able to afford the cost of putting PS ISOs on their memsticks in a practical manner.

I know this always comes up, but i wish Sony would just back off and embrace the genius of the GP2X

withouth emulators and homebrew 1-2gb memory cards have little use. one of the main reasons i bought psp was able to play emulators which equals people buying memory cards more. I got emu's to work on my v2.0 i would buy a 1gb mem and still buy games like Pro Eva.. adn Gta ( and lemmings )

2.00 is cool and all but 1.5 is better . .the only thing i love about my 2.0 is this pic of my G/F is absolutely beautiful on it it fits perfectly.

Anyway though i dont see how games over 64KB are gonna be created unless theres a HUGE overflow file out there see ya

im just gonna wai ton the 2.0 hacking scene to see which psp i want to keep my 1.5 or 2.00 because im not gonna keep 2 psp's thats dumb

Quote Originally Posted by YourStillWithMe
    2.00 is cool and all but 1.5 is better . .the only thing i love about my 2.0 is this pic of my G/F is absolutely beautiful on it it fits perfectly.

your gf is that wide

just watch. there WILL be a umd loader within the next 3 months. btw, i heard the latest umd loader they have out there actually 'emulates' discs in the PSP menu, allowing you to create custom iso's and make avc run on 1.x psp. I personally hope they dont make one on the 2.0. I dont want to see the homebrew scene end completely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information