Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PS3 vs. Xbox 360: Who's Really Winning Europe?

Blog Entries

General games PS3 vs. Xbox 360: Who's Really Winning Europe?

Earlier this month Sony Computer Entertainment Europe chief David Reeves happily announced that over five million units of PS3 hardware have been sold across Europe, allowing the console to surge past Microsoft's Xbox 360 despite the 360's 16-month head start in the region. In an interview with Wired, however, Microsoft Game Studios' Shane Kim seemed to dispute those numbers.

Moreover, when GameDaily BIZ contacted Microsoft, a spokesperson told us that Xbox 360, not PS3, is in the lead: "In Europe, our hardware sales have doubled in the wake of GTA IV, and we remain the number one next-generation console in Europe. We do not disclose our internal sales data, but our figures show we enjoy a comfortable lead against PlayStation 3 in the region. We lead not only in console sales but also in software sales: overall European performance is excellent with a 7.0 game attach rate that beats the competition (3.8 PS3, 3.5 Wii), and we enjoy 39% of the market in terms of life-to-date revenue. Gamers prefer games on Xbox 360 – just look at GTA IV, where the Xbox 360 version outsold the PS3 version by 20%."

So Microsoft continues to claim a "comfortable lead" and yet when we reached out to Sony, the company maintained that the PS3 was winning. Perhaps what it really comes down to is the definition of Europe?

Here's what a Sony rep told us, "The statement was based on the fact that $#@!ulative sales of PS3 in Europe since its launch now exceed the $#@!ulative sales of Xbox 360 in Europe since their launch, despite Xbox 360 having had a 16 month lead on PS3. Europe means the whole of Western Europe, Eastern Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Russia. SCEE sources its market data from official sources such as ChartTrack and Gfk, from their retailers and from a variety of additional sources. SCEE has been using the same methodology for the last 10 years or so."

We continue to press both companies and we'll let you know if we ever get a real answer that straightens this mess out.

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/ne...-europe/?biz=1

We all know that stats can be twisted to tell any story. Im sure that in some way both Sony and MS are correct but does it really matter?

Surely it's all down to who WILL become the leader...? If Sony can start coming up with figures showing that they have taken the lead then I can only assume that things will just get worse for MS as time goes on, Im just happy I bought a PS3, it may sound like Im being a bit one sided just cuz I have a PS3 but I am happy with the fact that my PS3 will last me a good number of years to come as apposed to the xbox which I seem to recall will only last a couple more years until they replace it with a new model...

I just wish that there were more games on the PS3!

Yeah the 360 is owning the PS3 with GTA

DCEmu Rookie

Remember people, do not feed the idiotic troll.

I believe the result will be known over a matter of time. It may look to favour MS for now (don't quote me on that, it is my own opinion) but the future is perhaps where the crunch lies.

Quote Originally Posted by JKKDARK View Post
    Yeah the 360 is owning the PS3 with GTA
    Not in Europe it isn't. See the VGchartz stats below.

Unless the 360 is now being abbreviated to PS3... you're a blind troll.

I didnt actually know this.

I thought JKK was right about this one (even though its no valid argument)

ZOMGOWNED!
    PSN (PS3/PS4/Vita)/NintendoID - Triv1umx
    Steam - Rjinswand
    Runescape - Rjinswand

Quote Originally Posted by goity View Post
    Not in Europe it isn't. See the VGchartz stats below.

Unless the 360 is now being abbreviated to PS3... you're a blind troll.
    :rofl:

Lol referencing VG Chartz is the worst source you can get. You can do better then that. VGChartz is more rigged then the elections.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowblind View Post
    :rofl:

Lol referencing VG Chartz is the worst source you can get. You can do better then that. VGChartz is more rigged then the elections.
    Not really. It's just a reflection of external statistics. While it may not be perfect, it has shown this trend for weeks, and it's the only solid statistic of its kind in regards to gta4 sales in Europe. It clearly shows the opposite to what JKKDark said, as do all statistics not dreamed up by Microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by goity View Post
    Not really. It's just a reflection of external statistics. While it may not be perfect, it has shown this trend for weeks, and it's the only solid statistic of its kind in regards to gta4 sales in Europe. It clearly shows the opposite to what JKKDark said, as do all statistics not dreamed up by Microsoft.
    VGChartz is no different then Nextgenwars. And they say the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowblind View Post
    VGChartz is no different then Nextgenwars. And they say the opposite.
    I think it's quite clear how inaccurate nexgenwars is in comparison to vgchartz in how out the numbers are for Wii hardware sales. According to nexgenwars the wii has sold 21.5 million consoles, but Nintendo had actually sold 24.45 million
    (source: http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/200...million-units/ )
    as of March 31st.
    Saying that nexgenwars is anywhere near as accurate as vgchartz is a joke. If you actually believe that, you're clearly as blind as jkkdark.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information