Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Evolution of the Dreamcast Scene

DCEmu_Newsposter

Default The Evolution of the Dreamcast Scene

With the fantastic news that a new SelfBoot Inducer is being worked on by one of the Dreamcast Scenes Finest BurnerO, this brings me to a discussion that all Dreamcast Scene site ops and fans must join in.[br][br]The Dreamcast scene covers a massive amount of Homebrew, Emulation and Development downloads and maybe its now time to have an industry standard and i believe that the new Selfboot Inducer is the way forward and when each sites offers downloads we offer in Plain and SBI file flavours only.[br][br]That way newcomers and oldtimers can burn new homebrew and we as site ops, webmasters etc only have to worry about 2 types of files.[br][br]For the fans it means less wasting of CDS because you can put multiple items on one cd.[br][br]Any thoughts on the matter, as webmaster of here with LyonHrt we want to make this site the best but the scene will be better when people listen.

Default Re: The Evolution of the Dreamcast Scene

I think this sounds like a good plan. I know there are some people that will be upset about it, because they prefer to use CDI and NRG files, but I don't see any reason why we can't focus more attention on writing good tutorials explaining how to selfboot plain files, and focus less attention to trying to provide everything for everybody.

Another option would be to provide just SBI and CDI downloads, and include a "readme" with each CDI download that inlcudes much of the same information included in the "What Do I Do With CDI/NRG Files" tutorial on DCStuff. Although, I think that option is a little less desirable than the first option.
    DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
    DC Evolution - Disc Images
    The DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.

I definately agree. That's the way BurnerO set up Consolevision when he was updating the DC section. When people suggested that Consolevision carry CDI or NRG images, I had stated that there is no sense in that, as Selfboot Inducer creates NRG or CDI images from the SBI files.

Hosting image files is a waste of time, and most importantly, server space, in my opinion. I've never felt that they were necessary, at least not since Selfboot Inducer was created.

Blog Entries

for v2 of this site and also v3 of DChomebrew ill take away the unnessacary cdi / nrg files, i like you two see no need for images for demos especially when we have self boot inducer.

Nice to see you Metafox

Hope things are better at home mate.

It is important, though, if you are going to host SBI files, to make sure that your server supports SBI files. At the moment (at least, last time I checked), the SBI files hosted on this site all have zip extensions.
    The DreamZone Forums

Blog Entries

all problems will be ironed out with v2

That's basically what I figured. I know how that goes.
    The DreamZone Forums

DCEmu Regular

Well If every site carrys SBI files whats the use of SBIFFY?

That's a good point Ian Micheal, and I think that is a point that should be taken into consideration. I do believe that every SBI file should be hosted on Sbiffy!, but I still have mixed feelings as to whether other sites should host SBI files. Maybe everyone should just refer to Sbiffy! Maybe I can get upload privs at Sbiffy!, so that the database can be updated more often.
    The DreamZone Forums

[quote author=Ian_micheal link=board=news;num=1083692146;start=0#7 date=05/05/04 at 00:15:48]
    Well If every site carrys SBI files whats the use of SBIFFY?[/quote]SBI files without the hassle. All sbi files are listed on one page under the appropriate categories, so it's just click and download.

Sbiffy will always cater to those who want a quick download, for those who want screenshots and descriptions, they can get the SBIs from DCEmu, DCHomebrew, Consolevision, or DCEmu.co.uk.

The sites can co-exist. You can have your cake, and eat it too - in essense.

[quote author=Wraggster link=board=news;num=1083692146;start=0#7 date=05/05/04 at 00:15:48]Nice to see you Metafox

Hope things are better at home mate.[/quote]Thanks.

Things are getting better. My grandfather is in a nursing home now, but it gives my grandmother a much needed break. I was more concerned about her than him to tell you the truth, because she was never able to sleep because she had to tend to him all the time.

[quote author=curt_grymala link=board=news;num=1083692146;start=0#7 date=05/05/04 at 00:15:48]Maybe I can get upload privs at Sbiffy!, so that the database can be updated more often.[/quote]I can set you up with that. Just PM me at any of the sites and I'll set you up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information