Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Overclocked dreamcast

DCEmu Coder

Default Re: Overclocked dreamcast

yes, smoother screen update

fantastic news. If commercial games keep stable(homebrew can be updated if not ), this is really worth a try. What about heat? Is the console stable after some hours of playing?
    I'm a bit worried about this, I was under the idea that the dc generates a lot of heat, perhaps it's a good idea to find a better cooling system or a super heat sink for this thing
    thnks a lot, please consider making a good tutorial in english

that is actually a good question and possibly the reason why Sega kept the system overclocked at 200mhz or they may have just clocked it at 200mhz to be even i have no clue but i am kinda not trusting this and kinda am

Dream Coder

its clocked at 200Mhz because that is the standard for this type of chip. It IS a custom chip, but almost identical to the sh 7550 (or was it 7750?) which is standard clocked to 200Mhz.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

DCEmu Rookie

It's probably a yield question. For example: If they used 220Mhz (or whatever 2xx clockspeed) SH4s, it'd raise the cost until the fabs are able to significantly raise yield of chips capable of reliable operation at that speed. Unless they eventually shrink the process. Regardless, not all DCs are necessarily going to reliably overclock to the same level. Edit: In addition to cost, production numbers might fall behind what Sega needs. If Sega originally aimed higher, these factors may have convinced them to lower clockspeed a bit.

Also, compared to other modern consoles and PC CPUs for some time, most DCs actually produce relatively little heat. SH4 isn't a very hot chip. Otherwise Sega wouldn't have gotten away with such a small fan. If you overclock it and are concerned with increased heat, you could replace the fan with a larger (but slower) fan. You could also rip it apart and totally replace the cooling mechanism, but that is likely overkill if you're only overclocking it to ~240Mhz. You'd need to figure out how to raise the vcore first before you start worrying about extreme solutions.

DCEmu Coder

Ive had it on for 12+ hours and no adverse effects have happened. Im goign to take it higher and adda 50 MHZ chip.
    ITs not as fast as you would imagine, Some games however are smother (Shenmue2, Stunt GP), But The benchamark test program doesnt actually seem to show this much difference.

Personally I think the DC is maxing out and the faster Crystal is just maxing it out.

I will set up a English tutorial this week, with Videos and Speed comparisons etc.

DCEmu Coder

Erm, Im goign to do a proper site, not a Altavista translation of a Jap site. menstration will not figure

[quote author=qatmix link=board=hardware;num=1094318646;start=45#46 date=09/13/04 at 04:44:36]Ive had it on for 12+ hours and no adverse effects have happened. Im goign to take it higher and adda 50 MHZ chip.
    ITs not as fast as you would imagine, Some games however are smother (Shenmue2, Stunt GP), But The benchamark test program doesnt actually seem to show this much difference.

Personally I think the DC is maxing out and the faster Crystal is just maxing it out.

[/quote]

12+ hours, seems enough for me , ;D

I will set up a English tutorial this week, with Videos and Speed comparisons etc.
    super cool. thnks 8)

DCEmu Coder

Update.

It seems to have trouble savign to VMU.. I found out the hard way whilst playign a game with autosave, it corrupted my VMU and I lost my PSO character!

Still, Ive got the CPU runnign even faster now Im going to try it at 300MHZ this weekend.

DCEmu Rookie

I'd love it if there was an easy way to up the voltage to the core by a slight amount. That would probably help you keep it stable, with the right cooling. I think 300Mhz (assuming it is actually running at 300Mhz) is just too much for stable operation.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information