Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: GBA Emu for DC Update

Default Re: GBA Emu for DC Update

Shouldn't the controller be mapped basically the way Nester and Gnuboy are mapped? Obviously you would need to add the functionality of the triggers, but that's about all you would need to change. The Gameboy itself uses A, B, Start and Select as a soft-reset command, so you could use that type of configuration to soft reset the emu (return to menu), or you could use the "two triggers and start" thing that Nester uses. Seems simple enough to me.
    DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
    DC Evolution - Disc Images
    The DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.

DCEmu Regular

yes I think that x and a should be used for the b and a buttons
    as previously stated, you can look at nesterDC but you can also look at the super nintendo controller. most games used a similiar setup because it was a more ergonomic roll of the thumb and easier to hit both buttons at the same time. the b button would be held with the tip of the thumb and the a button with the joint of the thumb.
    or you could just do your thing get the emu released and put it in the documentation for future releases along with screen resizing, full button mapping, sound options, optional *.txt loading from the vmu for on screen walkthroughs, pal-ntsc swithching, keyboard shortcuts and key controlls, mouse support for menu, online play, one touch saving, code breaker advance, and big breasted blondes. did I miss anything?

DCEmu Regular

and don't forget about the trigger sensitivity for the dreamcast as opposed the single action shoulder buttons of the gba. you get what I am saying. maybe some test screen that will let you know when the emu registers that the L R buttons are engaged like test lights for the controller config panel for windows. something that I wish all the fighting games for the dc had.

DCEmu Regular

but then again everyone knows that the PS dual shock 1/2 are the most superior controllers to date. building on the extrodinary success of the bigN's only kick ass controller the SNES controller. so compatibility blah blah third party acc..... blah blah blah
    thank you for your suppport

[quote author=guymelef link=board=dcemu;num=1084378886;start=30#43 date=06/05/04 at 06:58:22]but then again everyone knows that the PS dual shock 1/2 are the most superior controllers to date.[/quote]That's just opinion. I prefer the Nintendo 64 controller over the Playstation controllers personally. They're sturdier, and they fit my hand like a glove.

Oh, great: A controller discussion! Now that this thread is going to be completly offtopic, I'd like to throw my two pence in:

Moved to Curt's Controller Discussion topic ;D

Chris

DCEmu Regular

best controler Geneis2 pal Australian 6 button. Light nice and great to use. I have never l liked anlog sticks. Ps2 is about the worst. Games using both sticks i think are almost useless to me.

Lately every new game does that. So now i have to rent them make sure it's not a 2 stick game.

Back on topic.

Some tests and idea's

Major problems with this emulator is the cpu is a very high clock speed. Ive tested VBA on a 200mmx intel pvr2 card very close to a dreamcast.

I got 31 to 47% speed on most games. No way to get fullspeed. But with frameskip and some compiler string it was completly playable but skipy.

So there is good hope. Troy If i was you i would look into geting rid of the SDL rending and interface. PVR and or store que's rending would be needed. And the cpu i would think underclocked and a data base of games made up homebrew ones.

Cant think of any other ways to speed it up.
    Store Que's and kos rending is about2 to 4 fps faster.

So if done i say 4fps speed up by ditching the SDL rending.

DCEmu Regular

wow I didn't mean to start a debate about controllers but the post that I replied to was in refrence to controll options for the emu and I think that nesterDC and also Gnuboy had it right. because they let you switch between two popular controller configs. regardless of what grip your using

DCEmu Regular

but no reply on how dumb the rest of my ideas for all current\future emu. I though that text file loading was ingenious and would seriously kick ass for any emu that could play the poorly translated japenese rpgs {snes}

[quote author=dice link=board=dcemu;num=1084378886;start=30#35 date=06/04/04 at 20:16:38]

I totally agree with this guy apart from a few things. First of I think the controls should be:

Left column = DC
    Right column = GBA

Left Trigger = Left Shoulder Button
    Right Trigger = Right Shoulder Button
    A = B
    B = A
    START = START
    Y/X = SELECT
    Y/X = ???

It should be like this (especially the A and B buttons) because they match the same area as the gba for where the buttons are layed out.

[/quote]

Yeah I suspected as much its been awhile since I have played my son's GBA, so I couldn't quite remember the button layout.

I will try to implement it like you stated flipping the a,b

Right now I am using

X = B
    A = A
    L Trigger = L
    R Trigger = R
    Start = Start
    Y = Select

which I prefer because of the ability to push both buttons at the same time easer.

Ian, yeah I am currently looking into how to use the pvr to do the rendering, but it might take awhile since I have never used 3d hardware, or textures.

curt_grymala
    I haven't used the gnuboy and its been so long since I have used nesterdc - I don't remember the button layout. But I will look into adding the soft reset feature, its in the code now, just as a menu option. I am using the double trigger, start button combo to get to the menu.

guymelef - the txt file loading idea sounds neat, but I don't think I will looking into anything like that till I can get the core emulator running a little faster.

Also speaking of joysticks, I miss the old atairi/commodore joystick - 1 button, games were so much easier to play

Troy

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information