Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New Project - DCNincest64

Default Re: New Project - DCNincest64

imo the most combatible emu for pc is project 64 so have you ever considered it for a port

Dream Coder

[quote author=Hola link=board=dcemu;num=1091227578;start=15#21 date=07/30/04 at 22:05:40]Dynrec could make it fast enough to work. Its what makes SuperHLE run on a 400mhz pc fine.[/quote]

Dynarec != HLE. And the term coined for fast n64 emulation on the PC is UltraHLE (Ultra High Level Emulation). It directly replaced every hardware call with its equivilant directx call.

Sometimes this forum confuses me, because ill respond to the newspost in the front page, then it ends up being a different topic. The newspost 'comments' thing should always link to the original post if it exists.

Anyways, there I said I had been working on porting Mupen64, and had gotten everything compiling except for the Dynamic linking, which I really didnt understand at all (for the plugin system). I got sidetracked from replacing that with a builtin video system. I dont see why Mupen would give you a problem with memory GPF, unless you had linked in all the plugins and not just video and input.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

[quote author=quzar link=board=dcemu;num=1091227578;start=30#41 date=07/31/04 at 16:10:26]

Anyways, there I said I had been working on porting Mupen64, and had gotten everything compiling except for the Dynamic linking, which I really didnt understand at all (for the plugin system). I got sidetracked from replacing that with a builtin video system. I dont see why Mupen would give you a problem with memory GPF, unless you had linked in all the plugins and not just video and input.
    [/quote]

I just changed the dynamic linking to a compile time linking, I had to rename all of the functions that normally are loaded from a DLL. The only plugin I am using is the SDL mupen software core from sourceforge. The dynarec and interpreter in the code use a lot of memory to store previous instructions thats why it is so much faster then the pure interpreter. With suggestions from Mupen's author I have hacked out most of the dynarec and interpreter code and removed the 4 meg ram that is used by the emulated expansion card, INI file loading and I also removed the tlb memory cache(~10 megs) and was able to get it down to around 16 megs but it just crashes the dreamcast.

Troy

GPF .. guess what I have here on a disk someplace? O.o. I think its probably more mature (I'm not sure how much of a difference there was between the last publicly released source and the dev stuff I have here...)

marius
    coder/NINCEST 64: Get sis or get out.

sweet. I made slashdot indirectly thanks to you:-P.

DCEmu Rookie

[quote author=Kamjin link=board=dcemu;num=1091227578;start=30#34 date=07/31/04 at 11:05:03]

it's 25Mhz x16bit.. the protocol/framing isn't nowhere as as complex to deal with as PCI.. so a theoretical 40MB/sec practical 5-6MB when you need a driver to access a device....
    which is more than enough for anything.. I don't see why you can't hook up a SCSI controller.. a 53c90 could easily be attached.. even memory could be mapped in there's several megs of address space there..
    a couple of TTL's (or 1-2PLD's), and a disk on chip and you got 10-20mb of
    space to play with.. question is who would be capable/willing to build it..
    [/quote]If you need memory (and don't care so much about permanent storage), why not use a small DIMM instead? If you could build an interface that would give you most of the theoretical bandwidth, that should work, latencies would be pretty low too. I recall BlackAura saying something about the N64 cart port not really being built for load-on-demand to the extent of something like a GBA, so it could get the job done. But it's still just an idea.

Plus there's all the other problems, like speed and compatibility. Not to mention warez. Having an N64 cart port on the side of your DC would fix that problem, but I don't exactly see that happening at this point.

[quote author=faraway link=board=dcemu;num=1091227578;start=30#43 date=07/31/04 at 17:13:24]GPF .. guess what I have here on a disk someplace? *O.o. *I think its probably more mature (I'm not sure how much of a difference there was between the last publicly released source and the dev stuff I have here...)

marius
    coder/NINCEST 64: Get sis or get out.

sweet. *I made slashdot indirectly thanks to you:-P.[/quote]

Yeah thats awesome, I will be releasing the source changes I have made. I have the code now using SDL instead of VESA on the pc also. Just need to fix the colors.

Cool slashdot

Troy

DCEmu Coder

[quote author=Alexvrb link=board=dcemu;num=1091227578;start=30#44 date=07/31/04 at 17:13:28]
    If you need memory (and don't care so much about permanent storage), why not use a small DIMM instead? If you could build an interface that would give you most of the theoretical bandwidth, that should work, latencies would be pretty low too. I recall BlackAura saying something about the N64 cart port not really being built for load-on-demand to the extent of something like a GBA, so it could get the job done. But it's still just an idea.
    [/quote]
    A while back I had wired a 512Kx16 sram as a test bed (after seein the IDE project), to see how it would behave.. ran patterns through it for a whole night.. aside from occasional bit glitches (either from the wires, or noisy glue logic) It seemed to behave quite well..

Plus there's all the other problems, like speed and compatibility. Not to mention warez. Having an N64 cart port on the side of your DC would fix that problem, but I don't exactly see that happening at this point.
    Yeah, I also doubt this will have to be looked into anytime soon, I was orginally thinking along the lines of an interface for a 1541 disk drive, and an actual SID chip to allow for easier commodore emulation, and the ability to play some of the nasty protected games w/o having to setup the 64 all the time..

DCEmu Regular

I think that warez isn't an issue. *So far I think that emus on the DC are of a more elite class than emus for PC. the only warez concern for DC imo is DC backups. *I don't see people going out of their way to play snes, gb, spectrum, mame nes stuff on their DC when they have a PC or MAC handy. *Seriously this stuff takes a bit of brain power (not much but enough) just to burn right. especially when you talk about modding your DC to run a second-rate (no offense just trying to set the playing field) emulator for a system that no emu is near even 90% accurate. *that is not to say that has a dreamcast enthusiast that I am not looking forward to this project. *(a n64emu would be kickass no matter what the final product is). on the contrary I think that hardware mods is still a largely undiscovered country. I don't know how it will all work out but I am interested in trying. and maybe a by-product of it would be a cd-g drive for your PC that would play originals. of course the boards will be flooded with installing questions and complaints about irrerepairly damageing DC's. but hey that's the BIZ.

DCEmu Coder

[quote author=guymelef link=board=dcemu;num=1091227578;start=45#47 date=07/31/04 at 20:10:15]DC when they have a PC or MAC handy. *Seriously this stuff takes a bit of brain power (not much but enough) just to burn right. especially when you talk about modding your DC to run a second-rate (no offense just trying to set the playing field) emulator for a system that no emu is near even 90% accurate. *that is not to say that has a dreamcast enthusiast that I am not looking forward to this project.
    [/quote]
    While I'm sure I can't speak for others..
    I'm trying to think how to answer this.. long ago In DD2 course , we were supposed to learn a cpu from start to scratch.. on the 2nd day I asked the teacher when we're going to start building the cpu. he answered.. why? you can buy one for a few $.. I built my own out of ttl and submitted it as the final project. It served no purpose what so ever.. it only had 12 or so inst. ran in the Khz.. took me the enitre semester to build.. it was fun.. and I did it. I took it apart and now the led display section, and some parts make a nice $30 digital watch that has no features :-/ The watch serves a purpose.. but I could have bought a better one for $2. I do to see what can be done..reality.. even this n64 emu will never see any realistic potential.. but why not try to see what you can actually do, and only when you've seen it's not possible then give up..do I make any sense??

*(a n64emu would be kickass no matter what the final product is). on the contrary I think that hardware mods is still a largely undiscovered country. I don't know how it will all work out but I am interested in trying. and maybe a by-product of it would be a cd-g drive for your PC that would play originals. of course the boards will be flooded with installing questions and complaints about irrerepairly damageing DC's. but hey that's the BIZ.
    Hardware mods are fun.. (not led swapping). I mean I've actully though endlessly about building a PCI bridge of sorts off that bus, I even have papers in a pile with all the state tables, and block drawings.. but who could build it? and HD, and an ISA slot for a NIC would be a realistic idea those who don't have a bba could use a recomp'd version of ipload to take care of it, and the HD could seriously be used in homebrew, a desktop gui app and keep all your HB stuff on the HD.. so far the only properly doc'd mod of that sort uses an FPGA.. serious overkill, and how many people can actually build it..

GPF continues to amaze

Thread Information