Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wii not supporting DVD playback

Blog Entries

Rev Wii not supporting DVD playback

While the official Wii press release today made no mention of DVD, Nintendo VP of marketing has confirmed to IGN that Wii will not include DVD playback. From the article: "Nintendo of America's vice president of marketing and corporate affairs, Perrin Kaplan, confirmed to IGN Wii today that its forthcoming Wii console will not play Hollywood DVD movies. The decision to remove the functionality was made in order to deliver the machine at a cheaper cost and because most people today already own DVD players."

You mean to tell me I finally have to buckle down and buy a DVD player?

Damn nintendo

DCEmu Newbie

For $250 I expect DVD playback right out the box.

Now, I know why the Wii will lose

Nah, I don't care about being able to play DVDs on my console. Noone expected the Snes or even the Psone to play VHS did they? It's a games console, and that's the most important bit really. Plus it's true to say that nearly everyone already has a DVD player now, even if it's their PC or PS2.

Wow, if you dont have a dvd player, and are interested in buying a Wii, then i think that you need to buy somthing else. The wii might be a little over your head, try VHS

DCEmu Rookie

I hated just about everything I heard at the Wii press conference today, but the lack of DVD playback doesn't bother me in the slightest. Do people really use their multi-hundred dollar game systems to watch movies? I'd rather put the wear and tear on my el cheap-o DVD player.

Of course, if Nintendo added XBMC-style streaming capablity to the Wii, no one would complain about the lack of DVD support. The Wii would instantly be cutting edge in this area. Streaming video probably has more future than any disc-based media, including HD-DVD and Blu-ray.

Quote Originally Posted by JKKDARK
    Now, I know why the Wii will lose
    It won't lose for that. It is rather diappointing though.

i would realy expect nintendo to make a dvd playback, specialy scince all of the other systems have it, but i would rather pay $250 then $300 for the seame thing but with dvd playback.

now all the kids at my school are gonna keep saying " but that gay penis named thing can't even play a fu*king dvd, and it has a gay controler too, why do they have to be diferent? how dare they be different! i mean, isin't sony's original way of life good enough for nintendo? how dare they make sony feel inferior!!!" and stuff like that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information