Thread: news of the next gen nintendo console "Revolution"

Default news of the next gen nintendo console "Revolution"

Nintendo reveals first Revolution details
    >> From GamesIndustry.biz:
    Speaking briefly about Revolution, Iwata announced a number of hard details regarding the next-generation system for the first time - including the fact that the console will be backwards compatible with the GameCube, and will have WiFi online functionality built into the system.

The chips for the system are on schedule, he claimed, with ATI working on a custom graphics part codenamed "Hollywood" and IBM working on a chip called "Broadway" - the capitals of movie entertainment and stage entertainment respectively, he noted.
    And in line with comments from Microsoft's J Allard and Sony's Mark DeLoura yesterday, Iwata promised that Revolution will not be a difficult platform to develop for. "Even though the game experience will be very different for players, developing for Revolution will be familiar," he pledged. "There will be no steep new learning curve. It's a place where the best ideas, not the biggest budget, will win."
    Read the whole article on GamesIndustry.biz .

thanks to xbox-scene.com

DCEmu Pro

Looks interesting, all these consoles are going to be so easy to program for, why dont they just let homebrew peeps program for the machine, but only allow the machine limited functionality for the homebrew guys, so as not to detract from the comercial products.

I still feel that one of these companies will "slip" either purposely or stupidely by having some sort of perfectly legal exploit for homebrew to finally flourish in 21st century architecture. Microsoft's offering would be obvious (even though the XBox scene is grey-in-the-ass) but I'm banking on Nintendo.

Damn, I miss the Dreamcast's scene early days for me. It was fun, very fun..for those of you who were not here to experience it. :P

Quote Originally Posted by WHurricane16
    I still feel that one of these companies will "slip" either purposely or stupidely by having some sort of perfectly legal exploit for homebrew to finally flourish in 21st century architecture. Microsoft's offering would be obvious (even though the XBox scene is grey-in-the-ass) but I'm banking on Nintendo.
    Already there, my friend; just nobody takes advantage of it.

Case 1: Utilizing a GameShark and a Nintendo first-party SD card adaptor (check Lik-Sang for these; they only came out in Japan), you can boot any code you want from SD card on your GameCube.

Case 2: The Nintendo DS has a play-from-RAM feature, much like the GBA. You can transfer a program to it, and have it run that until you shut it off and lose the data. However, whereas the GBA required a custom, unlicensed cable to get it connected to anything other than another GBA, the DS has 802.11-based networking.

Case 3: The PSP has a similar feature to the Nintendo DS, and thus may very well be vulnerable to similar exploits.

Case 4: Not sure if you want to count this or not, since it's an unlicensed (though not illegal) peripheral: The latest firmware revision for the GBA Movie Player now allows you to play GBA ROM images from your CompactFlash cards, as well as the previously-supported movies, music, images, eBooks, and (more recently) emulators. The only limitation (though it's a fairly serious one) is that the program must be able to fit into RAM.

Case 5. Technically, there is a legal exploit for the Xbox. It's less user-friendly than most of what's listed above, but it involves a security hole in Agent Under Fire's save screen, allowing you to copy data to the hard drive from any recognized source...including a USB flash drive. This is how the Xbox Linux team managed to get Linux onto the system without voiding the warranty.

I know that's not quite what you're looking for, and none of it's as easy as the DC. But the fact is, it's not as hard as it may seem

Also, another promising device:

http://www.yesasia.com/?/news.php?artc=3598

Quote Originally Posted by 1timeuser
    [...]including the fact that the console will be backwards compatible with the GameCube, [...]
    o_O

Thread Information