Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keep icarus alive!

DCEmu Regular

Default Re: Keep icarus alive!

Chankast and Iracus was a popularity contest and once Iracus helped Chankast they lost there edge because they didnt even know Chankast would release something so quick.
    The last build of Iracus was still alot better than Chankast is right now but I doubt we see a public release because they never got the only GD roms support working. Ohh and to Eric when am I ever wrong?

Dream Coder

[quote author=Hola link=board=DCPCEmu;num=1091493776;start=0#10 date=08/03/04 at 12:01:11]Chankast and Iracus was a popularity contest and once Iracus helped Chankast they lost there edge because they didnt even know Chankast would release something so quick.[/quote]

Still proving my point about misplaced priorities.

[quote author=Hola link=board=DCPCEmu;num=1091493776;start=0#10 date=08/03/04 at 12:01:11]The last build of Iracus was still alot better than Chankast is right now but I doubt we see a public release because they never got the only GD roms support working. [/quote]

Not to say that probably isnt true, but you have absolutely no way to know that.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

DCEmu Regular

Ohh another thing I forgot to mention.
    Chankast main reason for being able to do so much at the start was the part it used from iracus was the video plugin which they recoded to asm supposedly and the audio plugin also.

I wish they'd rethink there Controller setup as its rubish and I always use the chankast hacks just because Chankast has a really bad menu and setup.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

Icarus was/is more of a simulator than a emulator, but it ran very slowly (the videos were speeded up), but ector was working on a dynarec to speed it up but he left to work on a well known GC emu.

Felix was working on the GB Rom stuff and the dynarec (i think)

at the mo i don't whats going on ...

BTW it really annoys me when people call that icarus a fake! cyrus's real name is in the credits of FOF , his work with icarus helped dan with KOS.

also who remembers when icarus was called boobcast!
    ;D

DCEmu Regular

The point isnt that people believe its fake the point is its pointless not to release it anymore.

It is never pointless to release something that will make software history. There is no competition involved at all. Just because two emulators co-exist dosnt mean that they compete - snes9x and zsnes. Both of them work well, and both of them helped each other to make snes emulation almost perfect.

If it is a competition its from morons that say "my software is better than yours, even though i havnt even seen yours yet!" If they do figure out the gdrom then the emulator wont be as popular, however the people will be respected and alot information of the dreamcast that has yet to be discovered will probably be unvailed. Think about it, Icarus has done more for the dc scene without a release then Chankast has with its release.

DCEmu Regular

The Zsnes and Snes9x example is true now but before Zsnes was open source they where huge rivals.

And Chankast wasnt ment for the DC scene if you didnt know that already. Its for the PC emulation scene.

[quote author=Hola link=board=DCPCEmu;num=1091493776;start=15#16 date=08/03/04 at 15:53:25]The Zsnes and Snes9x example is true now but before Zsnes was open source they where huge rivals.

And Chankast wasnt ment for the DC scene if you didnt know that already. Its for the PC emulation scene.
    [/quote]

Yes, and a Dreamcast emulator wouldnt be usefull for the DC scene at all would it? god damn, it seems like you try to make useless statments to start arguments.

Zsnes and Snes9x were never rivals, the morons that used the emulators who claimed "my software is better than yours" were rivals. thank you for confirming one of my past statments. I remember when i was on their forum way way way back - before the c4 chip was emulated (and way before the zsnes source release). At that time they were sharing quite a bit of information with each other. If they were rivals, they sure were friendly about it.

You sparked one thought in my head though... If only gd-roms are emulated... how will we be able to run homebrews? DUN DUN DUN*

DCEmu Regular

Thats funny how you say where werent rivals when they clearly use to not share code or help each other for a reason. After they both got to be really good and each team couldnt figure out things they started trading code to improve emulation and speed up the process of snes emulation.

And Chankast wasnt meant to be usefull it was meant to play DC games on your pc not for any devolopement or debugging. In the future they will try to support however.

Dream Coder

the reason it wasnt meant to be used for development and debugging is because it cant. it dosnt emulate things fully. Untill it is reworked to a high degree it will be of relatively little use for development, other than plain ol' running things on it.

If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information