Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Chankast to Xbox Port Rumour

Blog Entries

Default Re: Chankast to Xbox Port Rumour

I think its a wait and see if it happens scenario, i trust what Pedro says and garrofi is talented but with all the best will in the world sometimes its just too high a plateau to reach.

i agree with Kamjin though a PSX emu for DC is the thing id rather see first, but not a port, we need a new emu written entirely for the Dreamcast, will that happen? ill never say never but its doubtful even with the great coders we have

DCEmu Newbie

You need to stop comparing the XBOX to a 733mhz PC... It may resemble a PC, but its not. You're correct about many of the technical aspects of the XBOX, eg. floating point calculations.. but then again, a 733mhz Celeron PC doesn't have that either.

I know you think you're right, but Garoffi is an amazing coder. I'll say it again, if he can get it running full speed on a 700mhz PC, Im sure he can do it on the XBOX. Remember, its an embedded device, not a PC.

i do agree with you kamjin and wraggsters about seeing psx emulation on dc. I dont really care about seeing emulation for dc seen as how i have one of those. I also think we cant really cant compare or say anything about it not being 100% yet as we havent seen the release. Even though your coders i can see you know a lot of stuff but there is always ways of making things different.

Lets just wait for this amazing release you all can think what you want i was saying it might be 100% of speed i cant say anything until i see it.

Eric

DCEmu Coder

Hi again

hi people!

i Mekanaizer (it is the 7th post here) wrote:
    Full Speed!!! hahahaha

Guess what, or Chankast is more like a wrapper then a emulator or it is all Assembly over Xbox. The video emulation is a wrapper as DC, PC and Xbox use the DirectX api. But you need to emulate the CPU and i know that the best way to do that is in Assembly. Why? Because you can do in Assembly things like using a instrution to emulate a instrution and it takes less CPU use by doing that. In assemly you can find other ways to do things that in C/C++ would take more CPU cycles. I hope i made me understand. If that is true then you would be able to run Chancast in a PC (Celeron CPU at ~700Mhz). Anyway the L cache is very importante for a emu too.

Iam only realistic
    and to this post i add this:
    Emu coders know that in theory a emulator can be done it a machine with only the double of the 'speed' of the machine to be emulated, but i repeat only in theory. In practic we need more 'speed' most of the cases more then 5 times the speed.

Now a thing to Chankast Team if you people sucessefully do that please share the secret with us. ;D

-Mekanaizer-
    &&
    Don't dream, play DreamCast!!!

Dream Coder

[quote author=Pedro link=board=DCPCEmu;num=1090323867;start=15#21 date=07/21/04 at 05:26:44]You need to stop comparing the XBOX to a 733mhz PC... It may resemble a PC, but its not.[/quote]

No, its not. A 733Mhz PC has more processing power. Same processor but more cache. If it uses mostly off the shelf prices, you are on a very thin line with an 'embedded device' argument.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

DCEmu Newbie

The XBOX CPU has the same amount of cache as a Celeron, but thats not the point. Everybody knows programming for a console gives alot better results than programming for a PC - mainly due to the SDK primarily being written for the specific platform's hardware. I really don't know why you're argueing against something thats being/already been done.

DCEmu Newbie

btw, I never said it was full speed... but no one knows the speed of the emulator yet, Garoffi hasn't released any private beta's

Dream Coder

[quote author=Pedro link=board=DCPCEmu;num=1090323867;start=15#25 date=07/21/04 at 09:40:57]The XBOX CPU has the same amount of cache as a Celeron, but thats not the point.[/quote]

Well that is part of the point. No the Xbox CPU has less cache than a celeron of that generation. IIRC half the amount. P3s had 512k, Cellys had 256k and the Xbox CPU has 128k.

Also, embedded devices usually have large performance gains because they use components specifically designed for the use. This is not the case with the Xbox where it uses a relatively generic CPU and a graphics card that is in no way superior to what is availible on PCs. Since these devices are relatively generic the devkit will result in no more performance than can be gotten from gcc and if you are using DX especially then it depends on the drivers, in which case the Xbox ones are very well made, since its a single chip taken into account, but there is no proof it is superior to that found in standard PC video drivers.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

DCEmu Regular

[quote author=Wraggster link=board=DCPCEmu;num=1090323867;start=15#20 date=07/21/04 at 01:24:45]I think its a wait and see if it happens scenario, i trust what Pedro says and garrofi is talented but with all the best will in the world sometimes its just too high a plateau to reach.

i agree with Kamjin though a PSX emu for DC is the thing id rather see first, but not a port, we need a new emu written entirely for the Dreamcast, will that happen? ill never say never but its doubtful even with the great coders we have[/quote]I hate people always say the DC scene has great coders when we have average coders. Most DC coders are very new to coding and dont have any professional experence. The reason you dont see great scale projects is simply because DC doesnt have as nearly trained coders as those who works on PC emulators. Take pagefault for example. He's not even a great coder but I think he could out code anyone that works on the DC at the current moment. I'm not trying to bash any coders but dc coders have less pratice and can always fall back on the "Hey we do this for fun and we do it for free" however if any pc coder gave the excuse ever they'd be constantly flamed and hated.

Dream Coder

Warmtoe is afaik a professional coder. Many of the coders here just dabble in coding or are Computer Science students. We have learned how to do quite a bit though, and i think its safe to say the DC has one of the best coding communities of any non computer platform out there.

Also, i dont know of anybody who could be considered a DC coder who is new to programming. Most have at least 3 years experience.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information