Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Chankast to Xbox Port Rumour

Dream Coder

Default Re: Chankast to Xbox Port Rumour

[quote author=Kamjin link=board=DCPCEmu;num=1090323867;start=45#48 date=07/22/04 at 21:44:55]Actually that's a good point.. when you get the interview
    with M$.. you can't tell them I did this real cool
    homebrew for the moded XBOX using your XDK..[/quote]

Hehe. yet you can say. ah i resisted temptation and did not use your WinCE toolkit in favor of kos =P.

I actually plan on applying for an intership/scholarship program MS has after my first year of college is over.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

DCEmu Coder

I've been there a few years ago..mainly for WHQL,
    also got a few friends working there..
    When you first see it.. you think
    "Welcome to Microsoftville"
    " Population 2000 caffinated coderz"
    by the looks of it they work you to the bone, but
    the benifits easily balance that out.. and the other
    cool thing if you're into arcade games.. you'll
    get a real kick out of the hallways..
    It's well worth to do an internship there.. you
    litterally will get thrown to the lions, but after you're
    done you'll walk out with knowledge you didn't even
    think was possible to retain..

DCEmu Regular

It doesnt matter if there devolopement kits are illegal or not coding skill is still coding skill and getting psx to run on xbox was still hard and once DC is runing on Xbox I think you'd be a full to say thats not great coding.

DCEmu Rookie

[quote author=Kamjin link=board=DCPCEmu;num=1090323867;start=30#40 date=07/22/04 at 15:58:27]the cache will be critical in the attempt, the more you
    have the better off you are. especially in the x86 case
    to gain speed, you need to keep the heavy code
    inside the cache.. which then inturn will get reduced
    into "ucodes" inside the pipes. at this point as long
    as you don't bounce out of the cache, and flush
    the pipes. you'll have that boost that you're going to need.
    [/quote]As I said, the reason I don't think it is relevant is because even if you had 256K of cache (which they don't), you still would have a serious problem getting a decent DC emulator working at all, let alone with sound. The AICA would kill any speed you had. So let's just say that I don't see myself using an Xbox for playing DC games in the forseeable future. (especially since I'd have to obtain images of games, legally or otherwise, if they can't get it to read GDs)

Dream Coder

[quote author=Hola link=board=DCPCEmu;num=1090323867;start=45#52 date=07/23/04 at 01:08:54]It doesnt matter if there devolopement kits are illegal or not coding skill is still coding skill and getting psx to run on xbox was still hard and once DC is runing on Xbox I think you'd be a full to say thats not great coding.[/quote]

The day that happens I will sledgehammer a DC and buy an Xbox. No proper emulator of a DC will play fullspeed on an Xbox.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

All i would like to say about this XBOX vs DC coders stuff. *Is we shouldnt be putting people down for there coding. *Everyone has there fair peice of work that is good. *Some maybe flop but some are good as i said. *As for games making it to the purchase point congrats to the coders who did it. *I think for xbox some of those ports and homebrews are amazing. *

All i have to say about this bashing thank god people are getting this stuff cause if it wasnt here I wouldnt be here right now or all the other people who download this stuff and come to these forums.

Thanks to all the coders who brought lovely games to both the dc and xbox scene its cause of you people buy more dreamcasts and xbox's and join these forums and give ideas to the coders for new games.

Eric

DCEmu Coder

It doesnt matter if there devolopement kits are illegal or not coding skill is still coding skill
    Not as long as their real names are unknown.. you see
    you can be the worlds best coder, but when you're
    filling in your expierience on the resume, you can't
    put down something like that. So it as though you've
    never actually done it.

Eric,
    We're not bashing, we just taking the other side and
    discussing the merits, and possiblilty..
    our arguements are that it's not possible to have an
    exact emulation.. and the merits.. in which the majority
    of users will turn it into a warez tool.. it would be nice
    if the actually coders would post here as well so we
    could have a descent debate..

DCEmu Regular

[quote author=quzar link=board=DCPCEmu;num=1090323867;start=45#54 date=07/23/04 at 05:40:53]

The day that happens I will sledgehammer a DC and buy an Xbox. No proper emulator of a DC will play fullspeed on an Xbox.
    [/quote]
    Do you count underclocking and light frame skipping unproper?

Dream Coder

Proper emulation = more or less exact clock speed, complete or mostly complete opcodes, emulation with the two previous prerequisites of all the processors, nothing faked out.

Improper emulation = incomplete opcode set, purposefully incorrect clock speed, any chip faked, any relatively major feature (noticeable feature) of the system faked or missing, less than 90% compatability with software and at least controller emulation as possible (controller, arcade stick, twinsticks).

Frameskipping applys only to speed, not to the full emulation. Considering light frameskipping would be necessary to only emulate the SH-4 on a 733 p3, I find anything short of heavy frameskipping impossible considering the complexity of the AICA hardware.

DCEmu Regular

I think alot of it will be faked. Especially all of the sound and it will be underclocked for sure. I count good emulation as playable without being noticable.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information