Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pope condemns video games

Quote Originally Posted by jdnation View Post
    Actually, it's not correct, Satan along with man's own rebellious nature brought about death in a perfect world where there was none. In other words, Satan's kill rate is 100%. After that, mankind was already suffering and killing each other and dying. God's kill rate even in God-mode is a drop in the ocean compared to what mankind does to itself. God intervenes at times and orders the Israelites to attack and kill specific people at specific times for specific reasons. Know that thing called the Bible? Try, y'know... actually reading it. Then maybe take some archeology and history cources on teh Ancient Near East to have a better grasp of what that world was like. It's long and big and requires a brain, but if you can play violent games and solve puzzles you can get a kick out of it too!
    Hi i read the bible and it said moses lived till 700 years old? And it also implied that Adam and Eve's children were incestuous and it said that snakes can talk and that god murdered women and children (egyptians) and noah managed to fit two of every species of animal on a boat(!!??) (even though new species are still being discovered all the time). Noah forgot to bring the unicorns but their fossils have never been found. Actually the bible says a lot of bull$#@! and anyone who would base an argument or even their way of life on what the bible says is gullible and sad. Please pm me I will argue against your bull$#@! bible and religion all day.

Back on topic: if the pope had his way we would spend our spare time burning homosexuals and helping the church to cover up for child molesting priests. No you're right the church isn't full of child molesters but tell me this: How many is too much? One priest doing this is too many if you ask me and there is much more than one. That evil looking b@stard pope should reflect on the havoc that has and is still being inflicted on the world because of religions just like his.

What's that mr pope? video games are the problem? No problem mr pope now piss off

well, i guess wii games don't fall into his categories. unless he calls shooting plungers at rabbits violence.

In other words, Nintendo Wii rocks!

Perhaps you guys that are attacking Pope Benedict need to shut the hell up and actually read what the Pope said:

"Any trend to produce programs and products - including animated movies and video games - which in the name of entertainment exalt violence and portray anti-social behaviour or the trivilization of human sexuality is a perversion, all the more repulsive when these programs are directed at childrenand adolescents."

On the Church's World Communications Day, the Church speaks out against all media that specifically EXALTS violence... in other words glorifies it and criminal activities and sexual perversion! NOT ALL movies, animated films or games! Just a specific type! Go and read about media in something called 'The Cathecism of the Catholic Church.' But since I'm sure a lot of you are ignorant about religion (invisible man in the sky... haven't heard that one before... good one atheists... haha :rofl: The Church is full of pedophiles as much as gamers are dim witted fat virgin male morons who live in their parents basements and throw tantrums and resort to violence and shooting up classmates in school whenever mommy and daddy won't let them play counter strike because they didn't finish their homework), I'll give you a brief summary of what it states, it goes something like this...

Any media, whatever it's content, must ultimately be judged based solely on the intent of its creators and what they meant to convey.

So basically you can have violent movies and games and things that touch upon mature themes... But at the end, what is the moral of the story? What is the message? IS there a point? Is your avatar or the character well intentioned? (Solid Snake, Sam Fisher etc.) or is it glorifying violence and sex for the sake of glorifying violence and sex? (Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Hentai games).

In other words, the title of the article and this thread is misleading, the Pope did not slam video games and animated movies. Just a certain kind! Same for films and other media. Move along nothing to see here...
    Thankyou, thankyou, THANKYOU. I'm sick of all these dumbass kids throwing around insults because OH NO, SOMEONE SAID GAMES THAT GLORIFY VIOLENCE ARE BAD!

You're all a bunch of morons who need to learn how to comprehend English.

DCEmu Newbie
    a portal between realty and a game lovers world

well i dont really agree with the pope at all, im 14 and follow religion (not christian) but violent video games arent bad sometimes they can help people during a bad exerience

sometimes after a bad day a school or work you go down and play violent games to get your mind off reality and its a whole lot better thn going and punching the living daylights out of whoevers made you mad

or something like that???

Yeah, he shouldn't care about our Business. Gamers should decide about gamers. The Pope is really outdated, with time more and more people dont have any religion. He is just a fool.

ill add mearly one thing....

lol

The problem lies in education, not on video games.

Still, can't wait for a GTA Vatican

DCEmu Rookie

Perhaps you guys that are attacking Pope Benedict need to shut the hell up and actually read what the Pope said:

"Any trend to produce programs and products - including animated movies and video games - which in the name of entertainment exalt violence and portray anti-social behaviour or the trivilization of human sexuality is a perversion, all the more repulsive when these programs are directed at childrenand adolescents."

Any media, whatever it's content, must ultimately be judged based solely on the intent of its creators and what they meant to convey.

So basically you can have violent movies and games and things that touch upon mature themes... But at the end, what is the moral of the story? What is the message? IS there a point? Is your avatar or the character well intentioned? (Solid Snake, Sam Fisher etc.) or is it glorifying violence and sex for the sake of glorifying violence and sex? (Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Hentai games).

In other words, the title of the article and this thread is misleading, the Pope did not slam video games and animated movies. Just a certain kind! Same for films and other media. Move along nothing to see here...
    I agree with you and find the title of this is grossly taken out of context.

But since I'm sure a lot of you are ignorant about religion [I](invisible man in the sky... haven't heard that one before... good one atheists... haha :rofl:
    I'm sorry but I find this very juvenile. One thing is sharing wisdom, another is being a d'ck about it. Not only do you make a generalization, but you are also being patronizing toward Atheists.

Quote Originally Posted by irishwhip View Post
    the bible has no educational value whatsoever IMHO
    yes, i have read it. i swallowed that $#@! until i was old enough to think for myself.
    why does religion give people such a superiority complex?
    I have not read the entire Bible, only the first dozen pages and the New Testament. Although the Bible has no factual value, it does have spiritual and philosophic value.

Religion gives some people a superiority complex for the same reason anything gives anyone such a reaction. They feel inferior and frightened, so they decide to hold themselves up high, along with their beliefs, and look down on the opposition. Even those against religion express this. I don't think many arrogant religious folk demonstrate a superiority complex, but rather a zealous devotion.

Quote Originally Posted by xsimmonsx View Post
    Religion is the biggest problem the world's ever encountered, violence in games is nothing compared to the long term nut jobs religion produces.

I'm sorry if any of you are into it, but I have a very, very hard time believing about 'the invisible man who lives in the sky'.
    No, religion is not the greatest problem, chauvinism is. Religion is a tool to give hope to the hopeless, motivate the confused, and give meaning for the lonesome to the phenomenal accident which we call life. The problem with religion is not that people believe, it's that people forget the reason for its being and its message. When people believe faith is the universal truth and instead of forming a personal doctrine around it, they force their fanaticism upon others at a corporate level, that's when we have problems. Is that religion's fault? It's as much religion's fault as video games is to blame for violence. Those who refuse to observe and think will commit wicked mistakes.

Anyways, I like this Pope more: Battle Pope

religion is the greatest cause of violence in the world, games have done virtually (LOL!) no harm. there will always be these dumbass self poroclaimed moral guardians who "slam" entertainment mediums. africans are dying of aids because the catholic church wont let them have condoms. exposure to the brainwashing of some religious groups will harm more kids than games ever did or ever will.

The Pope can suck on a Wii-remote.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information