Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Icarus News

Default Re: Icarus News

[quote author=Storminator16 link=board=DCPCEmu;num=1085932897;start=0#3 date=05/30/04 at 20:46:43]I had to make a new post. The thing that is totally pissing me off is the fact everyone knew this was coming, but a few "sceners" all of a sudden are coming off as holier than thou like this was never going to happen. This is the environment we all were creating, so if no damn protective measures weren't taken then everyone need to shut the hell up. This is really, truly ridiculous.

We all created the environment for what is going on now. Live with it, or deal with it. [/quote]The reason why no emulators were released up to this point which played commercial games was because the authors of other emulators were trying to figure out how to get around the GD-ROM issue so that people wouldn't blatently warez games in order to play them on the emulator.

The authors of ChooDO were working on firmware drivers for popular DVD-ROM drives, and the author of Icarus had a wire harness hooked up from his GD-ROM unit to his PC.

The authors of Chankast forwent all of these precautionary measures and unleashed the emulator where the only option in order to play the emulator was to use CD-ROM rips of GD-ROMs.

Also, no homebrew (aside from Battery from Jimbo) is actually playable on this emulator, as the instructions that most homebrew use aren't emulated by this emulator. This emulator was developed with commercial games in mind, and pirated ones at that.

If the Chankast authors had waited for the firmware to come out before releasing, or worked on them themselves or another suitable alternative - warez wouldn't have been any more of a concern than the Playstation emulators. But, as it stands - warez is the only option - and that is a sad situation in my opinion.

My humble opinnion is far from what we're discussing about. The chankast main manifest says loud and clear, that Chankast wasn't designed for piracy abuse or promotion and ilegal activities.
    That's the purpose of Chankast, is to open doors to all in the DCScene, also, I think the same for Icarus.
    Now Chankast is out and works, and Ivan Toledo's DCEmu will be a perfect complement for homebrew and opensource DC emulation. Let Ivan works himself in few days great news !!!
    If Icarus Team is hearted into themselves, the best could do, is releasing a preview or alpha versión, that helps to get a better knowledge in DC and in emulation. And of course keep working hard as Chankast Team and Ivan Toledo.
    And to end, Don´t ask to me & MadriDC for BIOS or related. Noticed.
    Good Luck
    SH4 Risc LittleEndian

Probably for the next Chankast release, will run DC Open and homebrew software and games. The emulator will "suffer" some changes in its structure to become a better and faster and more compatible DC Emulator.

That's sounds very good, be positive and I claim Icarus Team keep working for an alpha version, as many DC emulators we got , much better for everybody.
    SH4 Risc LittleEndian

DCEmu Regular

Really starting to become a glaring double standard. >

It's a emulator made to play warez why say it's not that all it does. Plays Isos of downloaded dreamcast games.

You need the bios there for a dreamcast so you can play you backups on that.

No need to have this emulator at all. Homebrew version should only load bins thats enff for testing. No cdrom support or iso support.

[quote author=ron link=board=DCPCEmu;num=1085932897;start=0#11 date=05/31/04 at 10:27:53]My humble opinnion is far from what we're discussing about. The chankast main manifest says loud and clear, that Chankast wasn't designed for piracy abuse or promotion and ilegal activities.[/quote]The fact that the disclaimer had to be put up at all shows that there is an awareness that the only way to play this emulator is through pirated game rips.

I'm sure this emulator wasn't written to purposely promote piracy - but it is in fact doing nothing but that in it's current state.

This is getting to the very same point: emulation and piracy. In my opinion, they are both acceptable in ONLY ONE SINGLE CASE: memory. The DreamCast was THE console, it ran Shenmue, it had titles a PSX owner could only dream, had an handheld included, a browser, and so on. The possibilities were REALLY limitless (again that corny slogan of PS2), but if emulation wasn't there, a lot of systems would probably been faded away from our minds by the dust of time.
    I own a Megadrive myself, which I still treasure in my room, and without emulation I would probably have never seen again games that left a sign in my youth.
    Right, maybe a lot of people now will think "Yay! Warez!", but condemning Chanka and supporting Icarus' "never-never-release" policy is a bit hypocrite, not because I like warez (i never use it), but just because if you create a program and just boast about it, what's the point? It's pretty futile.
    Besides, I love to say that "Nothing in an emulator playing a commercial game is more exciting that looking at the emulator source code itself". And I MEAN IT.
    LostAngel

Well, this ruined the scene. Too many people are in splitsville.

I'm not one for piracy, but I'm one for common sense. So, people can play there backups. Big f'n deal. The DC has been dead for 3 years.

Ian Michael, you for one is being the biggest hypocrite. An author of emus? A supporter of GPF's VBA port? You guys are totally confused right now, I'm sure I'm not.

DCEmu Regular

I stoped posting retail games of the GBA after metafox told m. Im sorry you have me wrong totaly. I only promoted legal homebrew on the GBA emu Screen shots i posted after that were homebrew.

you must have a Selective memory.

WHo is the only one that forbids talk of dreamspec katana made emu.
    Who is the only one that forbids Gypsy play talk *me
    Who was the first person not to *included ip.bins in there download me

I think your confused.

Most of the emulator projects ive down allow to ether play the real un alted cd EG neogeo. *Or pd roms.

I think you need to get a hold of you self and stop saying im any thing when your not correct.

Ive been the moral back bone for quiet some time on some issue in the scene and you know it.

You followed my lead and removed ip.bins

I think really you should say sorry to me as that was pretty much an insult.

DCEmu Regular

this whole piracy question is out of hand

because if your going to emulate a system then emulate the system...completly
    i think question of legality and this and that should be the responsiblity of those prosecuting with the burden of proof being on the prosecuter(s). if it's for eductational purposes and the oppurtunity to flex your coding muscle then go for it. if you're worried about the scene and your community make sure that people are working towards a goal. personally a project i've been working and get seem to get off the ground is to treat the DC like a drive. Establishing easy to use software so that you can send utopia and code breaker automatically to the DC and then either swapping for your legal disc images (because we all know what happens to those precious gd-rom disc when they even think that they have a scratch. sega made a knockout system but man those disc suck and with even casual use will not stand the test of time) or for a real cd. Using disc images in this way would further perserve the life of you laser if not the whole DC, at the same time perserving your games. and if you are like me and live in the US the supreme court ammended the copyright laws to say that if a company no longer makes both the neccasary hardware and software that copying for personal and private use is acceptable. and quite honestly I think that these games only stay under production rights for many other reasons, like releasing a special edition for the next system or for making a sequal. either way having a strong bootleg cult followingcould only help. That and look at the sheer numbers. How many DC where made? how many games? what's the chance that if you weren't like me and bought rare games like MvsC2 the first time around that you will ever get a copy of it, or at least one that actually works. I shop around and there aren't any dc games at EB gameXchange or the pawn shop that I don't legally own. What is sad is I only have about 60. and ebay is outrageous at 60+ for in the plastic goodies like skies over arcadia and MvsC2. Without all the hype for dc emulation we wouldn't have commercial releases for homebrews. seriously. that is an undeniable fact. I admit that there is good and bad about this but I think as long as we keeping from being a slum filled with e-theives and fake coders that we can further our communty which as come so far already.

I forget what I was trying to say?

oh well

DCEmu Newbie

Why does everyone seem surprised that Chankast offers limited (if any) support for homebrew software? It seems to me as being inevitable that the first working emulator for the Dreamcast would be able to play commercial software. Firstly, there's a lot more of it to test. Secondly, that's what the console was designed for. Thirdly, the warez scene is a lot older than the homebrew scene, and finally, the Utopia boot disk (which was required to play homebrew in the early days) was designed to enable Dreamcast owners to play warez.

I do acknowledge that homebrew software now plays on the Dreamcast legally, but I think certain people need to realise that took piracy to enable that to happen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information