Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has the Homebrew Scene Become Stagnant ?

DCEmu Rookie

i weep for the ps3 homebrew prospects, personally i think it would be impossible or nearly so, since sony is often releasing firmwares at sudden, random points in time and not playing online while waiting for the next crack seems mind-tearing... sooo... psp scene for me! tho, that is dead too... damn

DCEmu Rookie

There is some incomplete stuff on the DS that I would love to see. Eg.

FrodoDS
    Genesis Emulator

a few others

DCEmu Regular

I think the DS has the best chance with homebrew as we don't have to worry about firmware updates for a start!

If you own a decent card such as the R4/m3 or supercard they all get firmware updates which sorts out any little niggle y problems.

Ok the DS isn't as powerful as the psp but the psp has loads of firmware updates as we all know and you need to update to play the latest games.

yep ds for me cause it wll take a lot longer to run out of ideas for this baby with duel screen,touch screen, mic and so on and so on

paul

DCEmu Newbie

Nintendo even managed to stop people using the Wii for Gamecube Homebrew and Region Free Gamecube Games.
    thats not true at all .. one update stopped the booting of one type of homebrew GC disc .. if made correctly the discs work fine still .. facts rule!

I agree and disagree. Couldn't all the homebrews out there use some spiffing up? I mean there are some good home brews but some have serious problems and should be perfected and not left for dead - I am still excited that strmnnrmn is working on a usable n64 emulator (well ... hopefully. He was supposed to release R13 two weeks ago and hasn't yet - maybe he's had some kind of break through with it or has given up on it or something.) Anyways it's a 50 / 50 call - The game releases that are coming out are getting better and better all the time so I think that it stands a chance of living on for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by splodger15 View Post
    Exactly the PSP scene wont live forever nearly all homebrew has been made which leaves coders puzzled on what to create next. I personally havnt touched my PSP in ages I just think everything has been done for it so I looked towards the PS3 and Wii scene instead

Banned

homebrew doesn't stagnate... if we look at the past there were always ups and downs...

* most students have university and school these days, vacation time is over
    * there are a bunch of coding competitions, people are holding back their releases to parcitipate
    * etc...

some systems will never be open for homebrew, we have to deal with that, but hell... who cares, there are plenty of nice systems to code on.

i am more than 10 years into homebrew stuff now and most "veterans" have resigned and switched to commercial development. don't forget sony, nintendo, sega & co force ppl to sign a contract to not do homebrew if they are "official" developer.

console coding is mainly an underground thing and considering mostly demosceners started with hacking on different machines and there are no people to follow up with "classic" consoles/handhelds... what you expect?

still... there are enough guys touching new consoles and handhelds, so i guess it compensates the (partitially forced) inactivity of veterans.

in short: homebrew doesn't stagnate and will not stagnate.

my three cents

To Wragg:

mabye this is just a time were many coders are working on projects at the same time or (more likely) everyone is taking a break. Don't worry wraggster i bet soon (and hope) that there will be a big breakthrough in the homebrew scene.

To the coders:

it really has been slow and it seems as if everyone i know is taking a break. How about reviving some old projects or mabye forming a team to create a game faster. Yes i understand the pressure on all of you so thanks for all the hard work.
    Come Visit Homebrew Heaven, Where you'll find the latest gaming news and downloads!

View My Coding Blog

The Return of The Lounge!
    Mario Gold Rush
    Current C++ Project: To be Announced soon on Homebrew Heaven

Currently Coding in: C++ for the PSP

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by sroon View Post
    I like cheese
    Has anyone ever told you, you look like Dr, dorian from scrubs?

Um, are you dr. dorian from scrubs?

Jk bro,

But you really do look like him though.

As for the homebrew scene. No the problem is people expect something new every time they turn around. The homebrew scene still has as much to offer today as it did two years ago. People are losing faith in sony's Devil Box. And that has had its effects on the scene.

But history always repeats itself. The next big thing is always right around the corner.

GP2X Coder

Thumbs up

http://zodttd.com/index.php?/archive...GP2X-F200.html

Wraggster: I'm pretty inspiring eh?
    It's not so much as things have slowed down, but the appearance of such due to how things have changed.

With custom proprietary handhelds and consoles, homebrew has been within commercial gamings reach. It's an offshoot of sorts at this point.

What's unusual is how different each handheld/console treats homebrew. Some pride themselves over being completely open source, and others just like to see the end product/result.

Luckily I had a lot of positive responses from the ZodTTD site over the upcoming, completely written from scratch PS1 emulator for the PSP. It was surprising to see such support for a homebrew emulator, considering how much use the supposedly commercial emulator from Sony gets. It at least gives those who think homebrew is dying, some hope.

I'll make a write up on the site soon. In the meantime I'm getting some new iStation handheld information for homebrewing as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo11185 View Post
    First of all fourskin Halo 3 is OK but i dont think i would enjoy it simply because i dont have much control over tthe aiming. i need something like a stylus or mouse.

I think that the psp and ds are running out of things to create since there is a very large amount of homebrew made. So new ones would either be clones of them homebrews or unoriginal.

I think that we should start having things that are useful in everyday life, such as word processors, powerpoint presentation like things and excel spreadsheets. for the psp they will use a keyboard for the DS the stylus
    Stylus= worst control for fps since the PSP. The 360 has the second greatest control pad when it comes to FPS. Mouse and Keyboard is still the best though.

Everything is becoming illegal to homebrew. its slowing, also because strmnrmn refuses another release...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information