Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Opinions/Views on rap music

DCEmu Newbie

Default Your Opinions/Views on rap music

So I've seen lately that rap gets a lot of hate from people due to the lyrical content and simplicity of the music. I hear the usual story rap is no talent bs blah blah blah all they do is talk about girls and car. But this is not the case at all, true rap artists are probably the most creative people of our time and imo it takes the most talent lyrically out of any genre...and before you go say rap is repetitive content, look at these lyrics:

1993, shortly before Thanksgiving
    I got the call, she said Jamal Derek is no longer living
    Softly she spoke, is this a joke? Man you gotta be kidding
    As my question was raised this explanation was given
    A meaningless death made me question the meaning of life
    Does my body remain at rest like when I'm sleeping at night?
    Will I burn in eternal hell or will I find paradise?
    Be rejected or ressurected like the body of Christ?
    Is it like purgatory, the story described by the Catholics?
    Or Nirvana that Buddhists honor in both theory and practice?
    Like I study in my college philosophy classes
    Or do my molecules and atoms travel back to the gases?
    I mean, what I like to know, is where my spirit goes?
    After the curtains close, on my final show
    Is there a pain it brings? Enjoy my favorite things?
    Visit ancient kings? Hear the angels sing?
    Who'll answer these said the great MCs
    My man Gribbles battling a debilitating disease
    He said you see a brother like me is willing to fight
    And everytime I question death my only answer is life
    -Last Emperor, "One Life"

if anyone would like i could hook you up with some real good rap

Rap is lyrical talent
    singing is vocal range and pitch and all that bologna.
    basicly the opposites when it comes to vocal music.

theres a few exceptions to that rule like 2pac where he was more about emotion than lyrical dificulty....you really feel what hes saying and few people can get you to do that thru a couple of speakers.

sure anybody can do cat in the hat rymes but if you listen to "real" rappers like Eminem and Nas (theres tons) and examine the flow of the rap, how the raps ryme, one of the examples i can think of is Birthday and First Place. 2 words that dont work when you pronouce them normally but work perfectly when you modifiy how you say them a little bit....the beat is also a big factor if its too complex it becomes too much to listen too and if its too bland you get bored (you find this will alot of good underground rappers with bad production)

rap is like anything you need lots of practice to be good but some people have a natural ability for it. IMHO rap is much harder than singing, as alot of people sing ok but if you shove a mic in sombodys face and tell them to rap its a differnt story because you got guidelines rather than just making it sound alright.....but hey im no singer im a rapper....

Talking My views on music

I view music like most people would view art.
    If its good its good. I dont calssify it as good or bad because of what genre it would be. If its sounds good its good music to me.

Hmmm...let me weigh the pros and cons. Rap sucks. Oh, I'm sorry...I think it's called hip hop now or whatever. Whatever happened to R&B?

Rap was so fresh and pure in the 80s. Now it's the reflection of the ****ed up American culture. Yay.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by WHurricane16
    Hmmm...let me weigh the pros and cons. Rap sucks. Oh, I'm sorry...I think it's called hip hop now or whatever. Whatever happened to R&B?

Rap was so fresh and pure in the 80s. Now it's the reflection of the ****ed up American culture. Yay.
    Hip Hop is the culture that consists of Djing, Emceeing, Graffiti, and Bboying. R&B is a completely other genre that has no association with rap...And I guess that verse I posted wasn't "pure" enough? And for your last statement that can be said about any popular music genre: Punk, Metal, Pop, etc. Even what we see daily on television

"Then I rose, wiping the blunts ash from my clothes
    then froze only to blow the herb smoke through my nose"

true rap artists are probably the most creative people of our time and imo it takes the most talent lyrically out of any genre
    That's an insult to every other artist/performer, rap artists are the least creative people of our time. Constantly they write lyrics about the same subjects, it never changes, those lyrics you quoted there are about gear, because that's never been rapped about before has it?

Those lyrics from your original post, about mortality, because that hasnt been covered has it? the entire genre is obsessed with death, ODing and shooting each other. That's just another example of a tired cliche in rap music. If they talked about anything other than how they're from the ghetto and life was hard, and women, and cars, and killing, and dead friends, then perhaps it would be justified to call it music, but they don't, so its not. It's all fake, PR execs must love rap, its so god damn easy to make impressionable youth precieve the 'artists' as good, they drink/kill/abuse narcotics, and all the fans love them for it.

I don't see how you can argue that its creative to cover the same topics again and again and again. That said all i find myself listening to now is Roots Manuva.

rap can be a great way to express emotion and life but for every tupac and public enemy there is 14 emiem's and 50 cent's and lil john's

I don't see how you can argue that its creative to cover the same topics again and again and again. That said all i find myself listening to now is Roots Manuva.
    I don't believe you make a valid point for all forms of pop music do this, love songs.
    and country is all bout tragedy and crap and rock from the 80's is all sex and drugs, you are stereotyping, not all rap is about being from the hood, jus like all metal is not about worshipping Satan

all forms of music repeats itself i think country more so than rap, and the only form of rap discussed so far is gangsta rap, many forms of rap exist just they are not as mainstream as gangsta rap

all music sucks when it becomes more commercial than art look at rock,punk,rap

the only problem is the good artist become famous than they become commercial as a part of the worship of the "all mighty Dollar" thats why MTV and commercial music suck i tend to listen to music that isn't completing pop or what some people call underground, but if the artist is good and time is right they become mainstream, and then commercail

F*U*C*K MTV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only music of this kind that I like is the one from Jet Set Radio, hip hop or rap? People call music from Jet Set Radio hip hop. Any more original music? JST music seems the only one...

It a lot more melodic, I consider equally important the melodies and the lyrics, it can be a very good song without lyric (see videogame music) but not without melody, most hip hop/rap sucks because talking about the same stuff and most of their music using same rythm/melody (a few of them used all time). Personally I hate music like 50cent, dj nelly, eminem and all that bull$#@! I don't like to remember again, I like trying to have my mind without several mental damages.

Thumbs up Dude

Just for the record , I would like to add D12 and eminem Are freaken Gods.
    Have you heard some of there new stuff
    Yeah I can say without a doubt that it completely rocks! or raps, whichever the case in point may be

WTF? Eminem and D12 sucks...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information