Thread: Lost Planet PS3 joins 5GB install trend

ps3 Lost Planet PS3 joins 5GB install trend

via Computer and Video Games

The internet went a bit mental when we reported that Devil May Cry 4 on PS3 forced you to install 5GB of data taking over 20 minutes - and Capcom has done it again with Lost Planet on PS3.

LP: Extreme Condition, which releases on PS3 on February 29 (that's next week), has picked up a mandatory 20-minute installation process before the game can be played, according to reports.

This, as Capcom was quick to tell us after the DMC4 uproar, helps to bring load times between levels down from what would otherwise be inherently slow Blu-ray drive load speeds.

Installation times don't rattle our cage much to be honest, having chose to install files on games where it was optional (Ridge Racer 7) but is it against the principles of console gaming?

Tell us what you think in comments below and look out for a discussion later.

The only thing that annoys me about this is not having the choice. A game that I play regularly we benefit from being installed, where as one played less often would not.

Also, I am the sort of gamer who does not really trade or sell games, I tend to keep them and I own a 60gb model. If I had 10 games, which all required a 5gb install, there would be practically no space for downloads, media and the like (one of Sony's strong selling points is the machine's multi media capabilities).

Perhaps Sony could step in with 3rd party developers like Capcom and make it mandatory to offer a choice over installation. Maybe there is a reason the games must be intalled in these instances and cannot run from disc, but I don't think so. Correct me if I'm wrong.

DCEmu Regular

Silly PS3 and it's silly games requiring you to install 5GB of Data to the HDD because Blu-Ray is too slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Harshboy View Post
    Silly PS3 and it's silly games requiring you to install 5GB of Data to the HDD because Blu-Ray is too slow.
    no.

blame capcom

Hello:

The main complaint about PS3 games is the excessive loading time, comparing to the same game on Xbox360. One way to reduce loading times is, like on a PC, installing files on the HDD. Altough 5GB for a PS3 with small Drives ,like the 20 and 40GB, certainly risk disc space for downloading over the PSN or installing other OS. Probably will also affect firmware updates, assuming some of the files are installed on HDD.

It is always a good idea to reduce loading times on disc based games. But they have to consider space constraints. If they want to install files on the HDD, essential files and smaller sizes has to be considered by manufacturers in order to keep the complete console experience as intact as possible.
    Last edited by Emulation_Chief; February 19th, 2008 at 19:23.

Thread Information